Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Lol never mind, I just looked up how they service your car.
We drove a Polestar 2 w/performance pack at the Austin experience center about a week after we ordered our 4X, just to make sure we did the right thing. Here’s the shortest summary I can give:

1. Looks great, very nice in midnight blue. The performance pack with the bigger wheels, summer tires, yellow Brembos, and Ohlins dampers is actually a fair value at $5 K extra.

2. Interior is nice but no better than MME quality wise.

3. More power = stronger shove in the back. Noticeable but not earth-shattering difference vs. 4X.

4. The center console “waterfall” was so obtrusive it was literally an instant dealbreaker for my wife and myself. I’m 6’4”, she’s 5’10”, and we both constantly knocked our right knee on the hard plastic because it was that obtrusive.

5. Range is substantially less but may be no issue depending on individual circumstances.

= we made the right choice going 4X.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
We drove a Polestar 2 w/performance pack at the Austin experience center about a week after we ordered our 4X, just to make sure we did the right thing. Here’s the shortest summary I can give:

1. Looks great, very nice in midnight blue. The performance pack with the bigger wheels, summer tires, yellow Brembos, and Ohlins dampers is actually a fair value at $5 K extra.

3. More power = stronger shove in the back. Noticeable but not earth-shattering difference vs. 4X.

4. The center console “waterfall” was so obtrusive it was literally an instant dealbreaker for my wife and myself. I’m 6’4”, she’s 5’10”, and we both constantly knocked our right knee on the hard plastic because it was that obtrusive.

5. Range is substantially less but may be no issue depending on individual circumstances.

Yep, we did a test drive in the Polestar 2 and put a video on YouTube. We had basically the same bullet points.

I eliminated each of the other vehicles in the review for one reason or other.

Model Y - I hate the exterior and the interior is just to sparse. The interface looks great while you are just looking at it, but it sucks when you are driving 70mph. And no driver's screen!!!

VW ID.4 - I could only test drive the slower RWD previously and it is really sluggish. The AWD is better but still feel significantly underpowered after driving the others. I don't like the haptic buttons and the interior feels a bit cheaper - way more plasticky.

Polestar 2 - All of the points above. That center console really is huge. I drove it for a bit, and then when @Liv got in for her turn, she just said, "Nope!" That was it, we were done with it.

Liv

First Name
Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag

Oh my gosh I forgot about smashing my knees on that. Both as a passenger AND when trying to drive. In my case I drive with my left leg crossed over so it wasn't even a possibility! That design feature bugs me so much! I feel like they wanted the aesthetic of a command center style cabin like the Audi E-Tron but they could have gotten that and still had some lateral leg room. It's a design flaw and it pisses me off.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah, it frustrated me a bit when someone picked the Tesla MY. The only advantage I see for Tesla at this point is charging infrastructure and a slightly higher average efficiency, but the gap is so close that weather and weight can be more impactful.

I guess it's because we went to get a Tesla MY, and did a test drive event, and came away seriously disliking it. It rides nice, has great power, but the driver interface is awful. Things are buried in menus that don't need to be, and not having a speedometer in front of you is stupid. I have perfect vision in my left eye, but weak vision in my right, so even just glancing over takes more attention off what is in front of me than needed. As they said in the video, it is minimalism to an extreme and that is fine if there is purpose behind it, but I feel the only purpose was cost cutting to benefit Tesla.

I know Tesla has many happy owners, and I am sure you get used to it, but getting used to bad design doesn't make it suddenly good, it just means you get used to the bad.

I really like the ID.4, but they have been impossible to find to test drive around us, so we ended up ordering the MME Premium AWD last night. Ordering process was a 2 minute phone call, and we have test driven an MME before. Only thing my wife doesn't like is the huge center screen, and I kind of agree. We have a 2021 F-150 PowerBoost with the 12" center screen which is also very large, but it's landscape mounted so we have physical climate and radio controls beneath it. I far prefer that to the MME layout, but it isn't a deal breaker.

I don't have an opinion on the Polestar yet, it sounds like a great vehicle, just haven't been able to drive one yet, and dealer network around us for wither VW or Ford is better anyway.

I appreciate the video, just wish a couple of the guys that voted for the Tesla had made the same claim the MachE VLOG crew were willing to, that they were a bit biased, because it seemed evident. I like Tesla overall, and really wanted the MY before we drove it, but it's pretty clear how much the other OEMs are doing the human interface aspect so much better than Tesla, and day-to-day, that is what you are really dealing with.

Genewich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Select
Country flag
For me, the ID4 deal breaker was the inboard arm rest being attached to the seat. It was close, but not close enough to matching the one on the door, and I knew from prior experience that I would never, ever, get used to it. Also, somehow the driver's seat had, like, anti-bolstering in the upper back/ shoulder area? I was flopping all over the place, which I did not feel in the MME.
Sponsored