Y2A_Alkis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 4X
Occupation
IT system administrator
Country flag
A big trolley fits into the Mach-E's frunk? Holy meatballs Batman, that's the first time I saw that - and it's very impressive!

rplinpa

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
A couple of takeaways for me. One was how much space is created by removing the insert in the frunk. It will be a priority for me to remove that insert. Second was noting the plugs where the front license plate might be. I bought my vehicle in a state that requires 2 license plates although my state does not. I wonder if Ford might sell the plugs to put back in the car if the plate is removed. I know they are sold in after market for $75 a pair, but I hear Grabber Blue is not yet an option.

If I were towing something, I do think the VW is a great option. Hate the white steering wheel though. So great to see the options expand for the public.

Now let's get a better charging network in places outside of California!

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I wonder if Ford might sell the plugs to put back in the car if the plate is removed. I know they are sold in after market for $75 a pair, but I hear Grabber Blue is not yet an option.
You heard wrong. Bumper plugs are available in Grabber Blue for $30 a pair. Check the front plate threads for members that have already installed them.

https://bumperplugs.com/ford/bumperplugs-for-ford

rplinpa

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
It's interesting. It seems like they each do things better than the other - of course, no car is perfect. Nothing can come close to Mustang Mach-E in the looks department, though!

But the fact that multiple sources are saying the ID.4 handles and steers better than the Mach-E only increases my desire to test drive an ID.4 as well, but I know I'm just going to be frustrated forever if I do and I actually like it better. As I've noted on here, the ride and handling of the Mach-E feels more like a Mach-150 than a Mustang, and I blame that on the decidedly not-Mustang 225 eco tires, and the truck-like spring rate.

I'm really surprised to see the Mustang Mach-E be put in second place for dynamics. While it makes me feel validated that my Mach-E does not perform as I thought a Mach-E would or should, I feel I need to test the VW now just to find out what I'm missing out on.

Other than that, really it's just price that the VW has on the Mach-E. Definitely a value entrant.

But his ride and handling comment stuck with me - I bought this Mustang Mach-E because of the Mustang on it. I assumed it would bring Mustang handling, but it does not. Hopefully the aftermarket can address this for us.

Last edited:

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
Road tested a Mach-E this week for 45 minutes and I agree with you, handling is not great more like a truck than a sport car.

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
But his ride and handling comment stuck with me - I bought this Mustang Mach-E because of the Mustang on it. I assumed it would bring Mustang handling, but it does not. Hopefully the aftermarket can address this for us.
I drove a Mach-E for about an hour on mixed roads. I felt like it was a lot of fun. Does it lose traction quicker than, say, my old X3 or 325i? Hell yes. Was it still a blast to drive? Hell yes. My take, like Alex's was that Ford chose range over limit handling characteristics. Not the perfect choice for everyone but my takeaway is that any of us can get better handling by swapping out the wheels and tires for a wider set. Which I am considering, for looks as well as dynamics.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Road tested a Mach-E this week for 45 minutes and I agree with you, handling is not great more like a truck than a sport car.
I mean you can’t really expect it to handle like an actual Mustang, it’s an “SUV”. A 911 is going to handle better than a Macan, too.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
I mean you can’t really expect it to handle like an actual Mustang, it’s an “SUV”. A 911 is going to handle better than a Macan, too.
No, sure, but I was still expecting something more refined. And with just over 5” of ground clearance it may look like a SUV but is it really one?

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
No, sure, but I was still expecting something more refined. And with just over 5” of ground clearance it may look like a SUV but is it really one?
I honestly think of it more as a barely-lifted station wagon/hatchback. The RS6 Avant fan in me is happy haha

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
It's interesting. It seems like they each do things better than the other - of course, no car is perfect. Nothing can come close to Mustang Mach-E in the looks department, though!

But the fact that multiple sources are saying the ID.4 handles and steers better than the Mach-E only increases my desire to test drive an ID.4 as well, but I know I'm just going to be frustrated forever if I do and I actually like it better. As I've noted on here, the ride and handling of the Mach-E feels more like a Mach-150 than a Mustang, and I blame that on the decidedly not-Mustang 225 eco tires, and the truck-like spring rate.

I'm really surprised to see the Mustang Mach-E be put in second place for dynamics. While it makes me feel validated that my Mach-E does not perform as I thought a Mach-E would or should, I feel I need to test the VW now just to find out what I'm missing out on.

Other than that, really it's just price that the VW has on the Mach-E. Definitely a value entrant.

As per Alex's comments in the video, it seems something as simple as a tire change could give you the results we'd be looking for with handling, albeit with a range hit. I think when it comes time for me to change out the tires, I'll be putting the fattest ones on those stock wheels that will fit.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
As per Alex's comments in the video, it seems something as simple as a tire change could give you the results we'd be looking for with handling, albeit with a range hit. I think when it comes time for me to change out the tires, I'll be putting the fattest ones on those stock wheels that will fit.
The stock 7” wheels already come with the widest tires that will fit. To get tires wider than 225, you’ll have to get wider wheels.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
The stock 7” wheels already come with the widest tires that will fit. To get tires wider than 225, you’ll have to get wider wheels.
Not necessarily! You can put fatter tires on it, definitely. It will start to spill over the rim a bit depending on how wide you go, but 235s for instance should easily fit on 7".

EDIT: I'd be willing to experiment with it to check out rubbing as well. I'm also not against buying a wider wheel for it. I usually have a second set for the winter, anyway.

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag
Our family has a 4WD F150, a Mazda 6, a BMW X5 and a highlander. The Mach E does not drive like a truck but I also wouldn't take the Mach E through pastures like I do with the truck. I prefer the way the Mach E drives to both our X5 (too jittery and nervous) and our Highlander. The Mach E does not drive as well as the Mazda 6 that I bought my son but I did not expect it to.

I actually had fun driving on ice and snowy roads during that recent freeze spell here in Texas. The Mach E handled a lot better than I thought it would.
Sponsored