Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have had mine for just over a week now and for some reason it seems like the more miles I put on it the better the ride gets. At first I was almost going to bring it back because it was so bad. I have a 17 ecobost convertible with the Goodyear Eagle tires and handling package with no side walls and it rides better than the MachE. I also noticed that the dealer has the MachE inflated to 46 psi. So I am going to have to lower it to the recommended 39 psi and hopefully that will improve it further. Otherwise I am happy with the handling.
My delivered air pressure was 42/43. Dropped it to 38 and like the handling and ride a lot better. Surprisingly, I did not see a difference in efficiency with that 10% drop in psi.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The stock 7” wheels already come with the widest tires that will fit. To get tires wider than 225, you’ll have to get wider wheels.
I am not a tire expert, but I checked Tire Rack and 245/50 R19 tires will fit on a 7" rim. Here is the link to save you look up time. Check the manufacturer specifications for the tire you want, and the rim width range.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...true&width=245/&ratio=50&diameter=19#allTitle

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=198

If the manufacturer says it fits, then put them on. I have done this with other cars (different rim/tires of course) and had no issues. If there isn't enough clearance and they rub, that is a different issue. That is easy to check by measuring the clearance when you have the stock wheels on.

Highway range is a very high priority for me, so I am very afraid to change the tires because certainly there will a negative range impact. If it is only 5 miles with a full charge, then I will do the tire change. If it is 5% or 10%, I won't. Hopefully someone will test this out and let us know the impact.

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Chevy Bolt EUV
Country flag
Man, a review says a different EV does one or two things better than the MME and folks really get into a tizzy. It’s weird.

I’ll take Alex at his word that the ID.4 “handles better.” And I don’t care a lick because I’ve logged nearly 1000 miles in my AWD MME and it drives wonderfully.

The bottom line, which this review demonstrates in spades, is that the ID.4 is a much cheaper car than the MME and it shows. It isn’t as sexy on the exterior or the interior, and its range is significantly worse, too. It simply isn’t in the same league as the MME, nor should one expect it to be for $10-20k less.

This brings to mind the folks who are comparing the MME to the Bolt. Dude, it’s a Bolt. They’re not even close to comparable.

If the lower price point is appealing to you such that you’re willing to accept all the ID.4’s sacrifices - totally respect that. But these aren’t comparable vehicles.
Although I totally agree with you that the MME is a superior vehicle when compared to the ID4, your statement about range isn’t really accurate. The base ID4 has around 250 miles of range. The base MME has 230 miles of range. If you opt to drop another $5K on the extended range model, then you get more than the ID4’s 250. Also, the base models for both cars are similarly priced. The MME only costs $10-12K more than the ID4 if you add certain options. FWIW- the ID4 also has many of the same options.

And yes, the Bolt is in a completely different league (perhaps the minor leagues?)

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Highway range is a very high priority for me, so I am very afraid to change the tires because certainly there will a negative range impact. If it is only 5 miles with a full charge, then I will do the tire change. If it is 5% or 10%, I won't. Hopefully someone will test this out and let us know the impact.
Do you think we can guess it's between 5-10% with wider tires since the GT will have 245s and the EPA target range drops to 250?

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Do you think we can guess it's between 5-10% with wider tires since the GT will have 245s and the EPA target range drops to 250?
Wider tires mostly affect air drag a small amount. GT also has higher power use curves that reduce energy efficiency because more electrons are pushing through wires faster, in addition to more drag from wider tires.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Excellent point. I think the GT range is also impacted by the higher performance capabilities, so probably the lower range is not just due to the tires. The wheels are different also, which may reduce range. I think that means the tires won't have a worse impact on range compared to the GT, and most likely the ER AWD with 245 tires will have a better range than the GT. Sounds reasonable to me!

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My delivered air pressure was 42/43. Dropped it to 38 and like the handling and ride a lot better. Surprisingly, I did not see a difference in efficiency with that 10% drop in psi.
39 cold is recommended so you are close. Right now with the temperature swings here it is a bit had to track. I wonder what it would feel like with 32. I am sure a bit smoother. At 42 you are going to feel the bumps.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Excellent point. I think the GT range is also impacted by the higher performance capabilities, so probably the lower range is not just due to the tires. The wheels are different also, which may reduce range. I think that means the tires won't have a worse impact on range compared to the GT, and most likely the ER AWD with 245 tires will have a better range than the GT. Sounds reasonable to me!
There's certainly other things at play, for sure. The GT is slightly lower, 0.4", than the Premium 4X and also, IIRC, it has functional vents to create an air curtain around the front wheel well. Regardless, 5%+ range reduction sounds reasonable for the 4X with wider tires.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
There is also an 11% buffer. Throttle is not L2. Unless a hardware problem I think we should see improvement with charging all around I hope. They don't even make the batteries. It would be great if you could explain the management process that ford is using. Is it on a schedule is that schedule temp dependent what exactly is going on and when would be good to know?

Have you noted that 100% is not linear? It charges at 100% like forever and you can run it a good 25 to 30 km before it clicks to 99%. Makes it such that 80% to destination is not linear to my 100% runs. That should be corrected such that 1% equals 1%. Not sure what is happening there.
I noticed nothing since I don't have my car yet.

What I know from how GM manages their battery:

1. The 11% reserve is kept back so that car can still accumulate charge from regen braking when full. There is some left at the bottom end to protect idiots from complete depletion. It's also used to mask degradation as the battery ages.

2. DC fast charging puts an order of magnitude more stress thermally than L2. Even the fastest L2 at 11kw will probably not warm the pack that much. In sub zero temps, L2 can barely keep my pack above freezing. The rest is done by active thermal management. DCFC will eventually degrade battery life if done regularly. It's only advised occasionally, for road trips and such. The 80% drop off is clearly some kind of protection mechanism. It might be too conservative, but I'm gonna give Ford the benefit on this one.

3. When in use, the depletion is not linear on my Volt either. Must have something to do with how batteries discharge.

JimmyL

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Accord EXLN Hybrid
Occupation
Retired / Relaxing to the max.
Country flag
It's interesting. It seems like they each do things better than the other - of course, no car is perfect. Nothing can come close to Mustang Mach-E in the looks department, though!

But the fact that multiple sources are saying the ID.4 handles and steers better than the Mach-E only increases my desire to test drive an ID.4 as well, but I know I'm just going to be frustrated forever if I do and I actually like it better. As I've noted on here, the ride and handling of the Mach-E feels more like a Mach-150 than a Mustang, and I blame that on the decidedly not-Mustang 225 eco tires, and the truck-like spring rate.

I'm really surprised to see the Mustang Mach-E be put in second place for dynamics. While it makes me feel validated that my Mach-E does not perform as I thought a Mach-E would or should, I feel I need to test the VW now just to find out what I'm missing out on.

Other than that, really it's just price that the VW has on the Mach-E. Definitely a value entrant.

But his ride and handling comment stuck with me - I bought this Mustang Mach-E because of the Mustang on it. I assumed it would bring Mustang handling, but it does not. Hopefully the aftermarket can address this for us.
Alex is also concerned about the the fixed panoramic glass roof without a shade. He mentions it in another Mach E video. He said he feels the heat on head from the CA climate. I live in FL and it gets more than its share of hot sunny days. And, my bald head might not like it. I wish the Panoramic roof was an option rather than standard.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
Hmmmmmm. Mine came delivered with similar tire pressures. I don't dislike the current ride - I don't really have anything to compare it to, coming from a Prius. That said, it IS a little bumpy sometimes. Gonna try to let a bit of air out tomorrow...
Sponsored