sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
That may not be safe. The chart on this site suggests you’d need to go to at least a 7.5” wheel for 235 width tires.

https://www.tiresandco.ca/tire-equivalence-advice.html
For sure, it would be against recommendations, you are right. But it'd be possible.
I did a lot of things on my last car that were very much outside the realm of recommendations, in the name of performance ?

A wider set of wheels (8-8.5") will probably be my forte at some point on the mach-e, anyway.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Not necessarily! You can put fatter tires on it, definitely. It will start to spill over the rim a bit depending on how wide you go, but 235s for instance should easily fit on 7".
Yup. I think someone on the forum posted photos with a new set of 235s.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
This was an uninstrumented test with subjective impressions. I'd like to see skidpad numbers, slalom times and track numbers back to back with both.

Then again these are both mall parking lot princesses so does it matter?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I mean the idea that a "Mustang" has 225 wide tires is already a bit of a joke from Ford. Within moments of leaving the dealership, I had broken the rear end loose making a left turn in normal city traffic.

The ride quality is unacceptable in mine. Not a Mustang. The handling is - again, due to the narrow eco tires, again not a Mustang. These are big disappointments to me.

Mine is dead silent which is awesome. It just doesn't drive like a Mustang, which isn't as awesome.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
This was an uninstrumented test with subjective impressions. I'd like to see skidpad numbers, slalom times and track numbers back to back with both.

It says Mustang on the front, on the back, on every wheel, on the steering wheel, on the key, probably in a dozen other places, so yes, it matters. This is a Mustang, it needs to drive the part, not just look the part. And mine doesn't. I am a Mustang owner who thought they were "upgrading" to a Mustang Mach-E. I am honestly very disappointed with the ride and handling on this basis. It is not a Mustang. I was sold a Mustang.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag

Skid pad results is an identical 0.85g for both vehicles from Car and Driver, 0.85g for Mach-E and 0.83g for id.4. Figure 8 test (running on the outside edge of two 200-ft diameter circles whose centers are 500-ft apart) times recorded by Motortrend were 26.2 seconds for Mach-E and 27.4 seconds for id.4. For reference the result is 25.2 seconds for Model Y.

But no I don't believe those numbers really matter. I doubt anyone will take a Mach-E to a racetrack, and certainly no one will do that with an id.4 whose acceleration beyond 50mph is anemic - I test drove one on Wednesday and my impressions were confirmed by published test results. Its top speed is limited to 100 mph, but looking at how long it took Car and Driver to get it there it is odd why a governor is even necessary: 26 seconds.

mikeflash

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Convertible, Expedition, Mach e
Country flag
I mean the idea that a "Mustang" has 225 wide tires is already a bit of a joke from Ford. Within moments of leaving the dealership, I had broken the rear end loose making a left turn in normal city traffic.

The ride quality is unacceptable in mine. Not a Mustang. The handling is - again, due to the narrow eco tires, again not a Mustang. These are big disappointments to me.

Mine is dead silent which is awesome. It just doesn't drive like a Mustang, which isn't as awesome.
I have had mine for just over a week now and for some reason it seems like the more miles I put on it the better the ride gets. At first I was almost going to bring it back because it was so bad. I have a 17 ecobost convertible with the Goodyear Eagle tires and handling package with no side walls and it rides better than the MachE. I also noticed that the dealer has the MachE inflated to 46 psi. So I am going to have to lower it to the recommended 39 psi and hopefully that will improve it further. Otherwise I am happy with the handling.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
It says Mustang on the front, on the back, on every wheel, on the steering wheel, on the key, probably in a dozen other places, so yes, it matters. This is a Mustang, it needs to drive the part, not just look the part. And mine doesn't. I am a Mustang owner who thought they were "upgrading" to a Mustang Mach-E. I am honestly very disappointed with the ride and handling on this basis. It is not a Mustang. I was sold a Mustang.
Bring it back, get something you would enjoy more

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Hey man mine is no princess ?. So far it has been more of a myrt than a betsey.

EV's are heavy; pick up truck heavy. I do not think we can expect something this heavy to behave lighter. I see most people that have driven trucks have no problems with the handling of the mach-e as they are comfortable throwing around that kind of weight. Where the weight and the mach-e really shine is on snow. The MME handles gr8, tracks super on snow and it is not like the ID4 is not also heavy.

I will take the bit of additional weight for the bigger batteries. There is a lot more battery than usable in the MME. 100 to ID4's 82. If we could just get people to stop reminding me about a cliff at 80% I would be all set. When Ford gets our charging together we will be cooking with electron's. But then the ID4 looks so much better and has a lot more space in the frunk ;). Only thing a thought when I saw under the hood of the id4 was well at least you should be able to get at the 12V that is about it for under there. I like my frunk. I like my car.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Hey man mine is no princess ?. So far it has been more of a myrt than a betsey.

EV's are heavy; pick up truck heavy. I do not think we can expect something this heavy to behave lighter. I see most people that have driven trucks have no problems with the handling of the mach-e as they are comfortable throwing around that kind of weight. Where the weight and the mach-e really shine is on snow. The MME handles gr8, tracks super on snow and it is not like the ID4 is not also heavy.

I will take the bit of additional weight for the bigger batteries. There is a lot more battery than usable in the MME. 100 to ID4's 82. If we could just get people to stop reminding me about a cliff at 80% I would be all set. When Ford gets our charging together we will be cooking with electron's. But then the ID4 looks so much better and has a lot more space in the frunk ;). Only thing a thought when I saw under the hood of the id4 was well at least you should be able to get at the 12V that is about it for under there. I like my frunk. I like my car.
The "cliff" at 80% is for fast charging only. For L2 charging you can go right to 100% if you want. If Ford throttles charging at 80%, they did it for a damn good reason: battery longevity. They know their battery chemistry well and what the safety tolerances are. I will trade a little bit of top up range anyday for long life.

If I wanted half assed battery thermal management, there are other vehicles (cough Nissan cough) that I would have considered.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The "cliff" at 80% is for fast charging only. For L2 charging you can go right to 100% if you want. If Ford throttles charging at 80%, they did it for a damn good reason: battery longevity. They know their battery chemistry well and what the safety tolerances are. I will trade a little bit of top up range anyday for long life.

If I wanted half assed battery thermal management, there are other vehicles (cough Nissan cough) that I would have considered.
There is also an 11% buffer. Throttle is not L2. Unless a hardware problem I think we should see improvement with charging all around I hope. They don't even make the batteries. It would be great if you could explain the management process that ford is using. Is it on a schedule is that schedule temp dependent what exactly is going on and when would be good to know?

Have you noted that 100% is not linear? It charges at 100% like forever and you can run it a good 25 to 30 km before it clicks to 99%. Makes it such that 80% to destination is not linear to my 100% runs. That should be corrected such that 1% equals 1%. Not sure what is happening there.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Man, a review says a different EV does one or two things better than the MME and folks really get into a tizzy. It’s weird.

I’ll take Alex at his word that the ID.4 “handles better.” And I don’t care a lick because I’ve logged nearly 1000 miles in my AWD MME and it drives wonderfully.

The bottom line, which this review demonstrates in spades, is that the ID.4 is a much cheaper car than the MME and it shows. It isn’t as sexy on the exterior or the interior, and its range is significantly worse, too. It simply isn’t in the same league as the MME, nor should one expect it to be for $10-20k less.

This brings to mind the folks who are comparing the MME to the Bolt. Dude, it’s a Bolt. They’re not even close to comparable.

If the lower price point is appealing to you such that you’re willing to accept all the ID.4’s sacrifices - totally respect that. But these aren’t comparable vehicles.
Sponsored