ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Eh. Auto Mavens. Letā€™s have the worlds ugliest vehicle Shootout. Formerly won by Walter Whiteā€™s Pontiac Aztec, and before that held by the AMC pacer and gremlin the model Y now has submitted itself as the first $70,000 plus ugly piece of crap.

With its Rubenesque muffin top butt , and its absolute lack of any style or inherent soul it was the saddest vehicle I ever had to drive around in, and I sold in a month. Purely on its heinous looks. It was really great driving and handling It was a pretty decent car but I just could not stand to look at it. Plus I Made a few grand ā€¦
Jes sayin. A bricked electric pony is still better looking. Even if you canā€™t open the Frunk to get to the shrimp.

Last edited:

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
Seems like it's a no-brainer, if the case was the same here in the US, I doubt people would buy a Mach E if the price was the same.

The price of a MY LR here is $65k, the current price of the Mach E Premium AWD is $59K, before the increase it was I think more like $53K, it was harder for some of us to justify the price difference, especially adding the $7500 federal incentive into consideration obviously now, a premium ER AWD will cost you more than an MY LR, now if Tesla qualifies for the $7500 on Jan 1st, 2023 and they do no further price increase, I think it will be hard to justify the Mach E over MY.

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2022 Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Seems like it's a no-brainer, if the case was the same here in the US, I doubt people would buy a Mach E if the price was the same.

The price of a MY LR here is $65k, the current price of the Mach E Premium AWD is $59K, before the increase it was I think more like $53K, it was harder for some of us to justify the price difference, especially adding the $7500 federal incentive into consideration obviously now, a premium ER AWD will cost you more than an MY LR, now if Tesla qualifies for the $7500 on Jan 1st, 2023 and they do no further price increase, I think it will be hard to justify the Mach E over MY.
This this this. The Y is objectively better in many ways. The advantage the mach-e had was the huge price advantage. It will be honestly interesting to see how sales do now with the price being in Tesla's range

Mike Curtis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Acura RSX Type S, 2011 Honda Element AWD EX
Occupation
consultant and specialty camera operator
Country flag

Having owned neither yet (my MME arrives tomorrow), is that really an apples to apples comparison? Performance-wise, the Premium AWD ER is a tie for the MY LR 0-60; and does the auto-drive stuff in the Mach E compare favorably with the similar autopilot stuff in the MY LR?

The Premium AWD ER in red ext/black int is $66,770, 290 mile range.
The MY LR with red ext/black int, 19" wheels, mobile connector and enhanced auto-pilot is $75,640. Without autopilot it is $69,660, and a range of 330 miles.

I've heard that Tesla is optimistic in their range estimates, and Ford is accurate/conservative. So this doesn't seem to be as big of a difference - the MY LR has a bit more range for a bit more money, but is otherwise pretty similar in terms of specs, size/capacity (it has a bit more interior storage space, 5-10 cubic feet IIRC).

So overall, pretty similar value for the dollar.

AH - faster charging and Superchargers is definitely an advantage too.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
I have both of them. And took same 2000 miles trip with both of them.
Tesla Y performance and MME 4X

MME looks better and rides more comfortable. It's more relaxing driving long distance with BC than Tesla FSD.

But Tesla is more efficient (about same range with almost 20% smaller battery)
Model Y has much more interior space
Supercharger network is way better than CCS.
Tesla has OTA that really works.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Having owned neither yet (my MME arrives tomorrow), is that really an apples to apples comparison? Performance-wise, the Premium AWD ER is a tie for the MY LR 0-60; and does the auto-drive stuff in the Mach E compare favorably with the similar autopilot stuff in the MY LR?

The Premium AWD ER in red ext/black int is $66,770, 290 mile range.
The MY LR with red ext/black int, 19" wheels, mobile connector and enhanced auto-pilot is $75,640. Without autopilot it is $69,660, and a range of 330 miles.

I've heard that Tesla is optimistic in their range estimates, and Ford is accurate/conservative. So this doesn't seem to be as big of a difference - the MY LR has a bit more range for a bit more money, but is otherwise pretty similar in terms of specs, size/capacity (it has a bit more interior storage space, 5-10 cubic feet IIRC).

So overall, pretty similar value for the dollar.

AH - faster charging and Superchargers is definitely an advantage too.
Yeah but the model Y is way more expensive once you factor in swapping out all of the body panels so it looks decent, swapping the infotainment system to something that supports Android Auto / Carplay and doing something to add a gauge cluster. šŸ˜

Maybe just buy a Mach-e and swap in the Tesla drivetrain!

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2022 Mach E select AWD
Country flag
I have both of them. And took same 2000 miles trip with both of them.
Tesla Y performance and MME 4X

MME looks better and rides more comfortable. It's more relaxing driving long distance with BC than Tesla FSD.

But Tesla is more efficient (about same range with almost 20% smaller battery)
Model Y has much more interior space
Supercharger network is way better than CCS.
Tesla has OTA that really works.
Yeah this is what it usually boils down to. Mach-E has poor performance( 5 second rule, no heat pump, slow charging, public charging network, inefficient, significantly worse software) but has better styling and ride for sure.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yes, but neither of these vehicles are a "superior family SUV". For those purposes, they are both compromise vehicles. If it's "best EV family SUV-like vehicle", sure. I don't care, I like my MME in terms of styling, and I would never buy a Tesla with my own money.

MONDO

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(2021) Space White, Premium, AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Design Engineer
Country flag
Didnā€™t watch the video. Our MME is a family car for us. 2 adults, 1 kid ,and a 70lb dog.

Agreed with @BigMach-E . After 2 1000+ mile road trips, our Mach-E has fit us all, barely. Each time I packup the car its a very tight fit. Pack-n-play + stroller + dog and Iā€™m nearly out of room already. Certainly a MY wouldnā€˜t be much better here. Although a lot can fit in them, these cars are just not ultimate gear haulers.

EA charging network sucks compared to Tesla. On my roadtrips thus far, the EA stations have all been 0.5-5 miles off the main road. Canā€™t help but notice the Tesla Superchargers right at rest stops as I am getting near charge time and not be a bit envious. At the few places where they are near each other, Tesla seems to have the premium parking space. For example, Tinton Falls Outlet in NJ, the Tesla spots are in the closest parking spaces to the mall, while the EA/ EV Go station Is pushed off to the back of the property. When youā€™ve been driving for hours and need a bathroom break, that extra distance will matter to you.

Iā€™m still thrilled to have gone with our MME. For the daily needs, it works well enough. We went with it over the MY for many reasons, price, look, and comfort being top reasons. At todayā€™s price, there is no way I would have decided to buy it. As my family grows, Iā€™ll probably need either to trade this in or a second vehicle for those moments we need more room. I personally think the 2021 Job 2s is the best Mach-E you could have bought for those of us lucky to have gotten one.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Obviously there's a lot of anti-Tesla / pro-MME bias on the boards here. Subjective opinions aside (hate for Elon, appearance of the vehicles) I think the Y walks all over the MME at the same price. Better battery tech, integrated tow package, faster charging, better charging network (for now at least) more storage, similar build quality and interior finishes, better tech, similar lame tablets.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Didnā€™t watch the video. Our MME is a family car for us. 2 adults, 1 kid ,and a 70lb dog.

Agreed with @BigMach-E . After 2 1000+ mile road trips, our Mach-E has fit us all, barely. Each time I packup the car its a very tight fit. Pack-n-play + stroller + dog and Iā€™m nearly out of room already. Certainly a MY wouldnā€˜t be much better here. Although a lot can fit in them, these cars are just not ultimate gear haulers.

EA charging network sucks compared to Tesla. On my roadtrips thus far, the EA stations have all been 0.5-5 miles off the main road. Canā€™t help but notice the Tesla Superchargers right at rest stops as I am getting near charge time and not be a bit envious. At the few places where they are near each other, Tesla seems to have the premium parking space. For example, Tinton Falls Outlet in NJ, the Tesla spots are in the closest parking spaces to the mall, while the EA/ EV Go station Is pushed off to the back of the property. When youā€™ve been driving for hours and need a bathroom break, that extra distance will matter to you.

Iā€™m still thrilled to have gone with our MME. For the daily needs, it works well enough. We went with it over the MY for many reasons, price, look, and comfort being top reasons. At todayā€™s price, there is no way I would have decided to buy it. As my family grows, Iā€™ll probably need either to trade this in or a second vehicle for those moments we need more room. I personally think the 2021 Job 2s is the best Mach-E you could have bought for those of us lucky to have gotten one.
Our Mach-e is also pulling family duty - 2 adults, 2 teenage kids. With the older kids we can pack a bit lighter than you so haven't had any space issues on our (near 1k mile) trips, though we did need to press the Frunk into service on one of them. Chose the Mach-e over the Tesla for similar reasons to you, but the biggest was no gauge cluster on the Model Y and the Model X being way out of our price range. Would still go Mach-e again at today's prices, but might take a Premium instead of the GT.

Once I get my ER Lighting (in a rail car now!), that will be pressed into family road trip duty and will give us plenty of room.
Sponsored