coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
Don't forget that the Model Y will cost $6000 extra for "Enhanced Autopilot" or $12,000 for their still-beta "Full Self Driving". You have to count that in the price, and I think the reviewers for this video failed to do that.

They even said that the MME came with more standard features but they did not make up the price difference -- however, the cost of those features on the Tesla are literally more than the price difference. They even opted for the cheap wheels on the Model Y to keep the cost down. The comparison should be:

- Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range AWD ($66,275 USD, Ā£66,555)
versus
- Tesla Model-Y Long Range with Enhanced Autopilot and the 20-inch "Induction Wheels" in a 5-seat configuration ($74,990 USD, Ā£65,680)

As you can see, the Mach-E is substantially cheaper in the USA and virtually the same price in the UK. I am guessing Tesla builds them in the UK or somewhere where the UK does not charge as much import tax.
In UK the MME AWD ER is way more expensive than the MY LR. I have posted about this.

We don't get Bluecruise.

These MME vs MY comparisons are getting repetitive and boring.

The MME and MY are pretty comparable in size, range and driving comfort.

I don't like the blandness of Teslas. I accept they have better software.

Others will have different reasons to prefer the MY. Good luck to them.

We dont get gold medals in life for owning the cars of our choice.
Sponsored

WSoxFan22

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E
Country flag
For me, the battery efficiency, faster charging and etc are just so negligible when it comes to importance. I charge at home. Would it save me a few bucks a month on electric owning a MY? Ok, but do I really need the "faster" charging all that often over the course of a year? No.

The Mache is a smoother and better drive, and it's a much nicer looking car. The interior feels nicer as well. If I'm using something everyday to get around, I like the feel, the comfort, and the look of the Mach E and it's not even close? Are their OTA updates as good right now? no. Is their interface/features as good in some areas on the tech side? No. Are those the main things I'm looking for in the car though? No.

It's too each their own really. I'd rather have a better build, a better/smoother ride, and a significantly better look than the above. Some may prefer the opposite. It's certainly a preference - i think more "car" people may like the Mach E and more tech people may like the Tesla. Also, I'm pretty damn impressed with Ford given their infancy to the game. They have so much room to grow and I think they've already built the best EV for people in my demographic on the market.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I'll admit I struggle to distinguish between a Model Y and a Model X out on the road. So for me it seems like there are a ton them. I see them everywhere and they're mostly the same color (white), and there's nothing special about them anymore. Can you put a price on having a car that's more stylistic and less common? Idk, but this is one reason I really like the MME.

The net cost difference was pretty huge between my MME Prem AWD ER purchased in July and even the cheapest Model Y at that time, like $15k+ I believe. It was really an easy decision to go with the MME. In 2023 this pricing comparison is considerably different and I can understand why a lot of people will choose the Y.

thewraith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FD RX7(2J)/'21 Mach E GTP/'65 'stang, '22 BMW X5
Country flag
I've owned both. The model y is better car in every way except maybe looks. My mme has horrible fitting headlights and body gaps in the front, the dealer service experience is the worst of any car I have owned, the paint quality sucks, and the software is a gen behind at least. Add a few aftermarket bits to the y and it's better in every way.

Note im comparing a gtpe to a my performance

Last edited:

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Seems like it's a no-brainer, if the case was the same here in the US, I doubt people would buy a Mach E if the price was the same.

The price of a MY LR here is $65k, the current price of the Mach E Premium AWD is $59K, before the increase it was I think more like $53K, it was harder for some of us to justify the price difference, especially adding the $7500 federal incentive into consideration obviously now, a premium ER AWD will cost you more than an MY LR, now if Tesla qualifies for the $7500 on Jan 1st, 2023 and they do no further price increase, I think it will be hard to justify the Mach E over MY.
It come down to individual taste. Tesla exterior design does nothing for me. Their interior isnā€™t much better. A friend who has had Teslas for years went to an MME and loves it. Most of us donā€™t care about the minor technical or performance differences.

Kachook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
We had a MY on order ready for delivery on an Thursday and it was delayed. In the interim, I picked up the MME on that weekend. Over a year and a few months later, people still stop me on the street while driving, stop me when Iā€™m walking away from the vehicle and even comment as Iā€™m at my house because the MME is just a beautiful vehicle. Teslas are fine but both build quality and ride quality go to Ford. Most of the other things that differentiate the two donā€™t matter too much. The extra claimed mileage - I donā€™t believe it but it is also not relevant for me as a daily driver and our 3-4 hour long drives once every few months. Laggy software - donā€™t really notice anything. Car starts and goes. Being in my mid-40ā€™s, I appreciate having buttons and dislike the minimalist approach. Still, my next vehicle is going to be a Rivian R1S. It will be a better vehicle in my humble and purely speculative opinion and more expensive, but it is faster, has more real range, has more space and as a pre-order is only about 10k more fully loaded not including the $7,500 tax credit for which weā€™ll still qualify.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Isn't the RS1 out of the eligible price range for the federal tax credit?

Thor2j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT , Ford Raptor
Country flag
I've owned both. The model y is better car in every way except maybe looks. My mme has horrible fitting headlights and body gaps in the front, the dealer service experience is the worst of any car I have owned, the paint quality sucks, and the software is a gen behind at least. Add a few aftermarket bits to the y and it's better in every way.
You are the exception. Driven both. MME drives and rides WAY better. Fit and finish is leaps and bounds above the Tesla. Looks MME all day every day. Apple car play and AA.
Tesla has better tech, efficiency. No doubt.
But if I wanted a Plymouth Aztec I would of bought one.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Having owned 3 Mach-Es and 3 Model Ys (don't ask.. it gets messy)

2021/2022 Mach-E Premium AWD >> 2021/2022 Model Y

Mach-E wins because of the features and price. Especially at the older $56K or $59K price points.

However if we compare Performance trims:

Model Y Performance > Mach-E GT Performance Edition.

I own a GTPE and it's underwhelming. The seats are nice but Unbridled Extended is basically useless since it doesn't reliable enable on the track and the extra weight is pretty noticeable. It's 5 ton brick around the track. For daily use the MagneRide does not help ride comfort as two of the modes are still bouncy and efficiency with the summer tires is seriously 50 miles less than the Premium AWD ER. Ford's motor technology (permanent magnets motors) is two generations behind. Modern EVs are moving to externally excited motors (having moved from induction or reluctance motors). They built a muscle car EV with loads of low-end torque (which permanent magnets motors excel at) but completely ignored efficiency and speed.

I'm basically moving to a BMW i4 M50 and dumping the GTPE soon for a Premium AWD ER (my last order).

bcaceres

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
This is a European review, blue cruise is not available in Europe
I had not considered that. Then the review makes sense. Does Tesla's enhanced auto pilot work in Europe? They sell it as an option in the UK, but for a significant discount over what they charge in the USA.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
the model Y looks like the cute girl that got chunky during lockdown.

you know it's true.
Sorry - have to disagree. The Model Y looks like turtle. Nothing but a turtle.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Schmetsky

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CRV, GolfR, MDX, Sienna, RX350
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Didnā€™t watch the video. Our MME is a family car for us. 2 adults, 1 kid ,and a 70lb dog.

Agreed with @BigMach-E . After 2 1000+ mile road trips, our Mach-E has fit us all, barely. Each time I packup the car its a very tight fit. Pack-n-play + stroller + dog and Iā€™m nearly out of room already. Certainly a MY wouldnā€˜t be much better here. Although a lot can fit in them, these cars are just not ultimate gear haulers.

EA charging network sucks compared to Tesla. On my roadtrips thus far, the EA stations have all been 0.5-5 miles off the main road. Canā€™t help but notice the Tesla Superchargers right at rest stops as I am getting near charge time and not be a bit envious. At the few places where they are near each other, Tesla seems to have the premium parking space. For example, Tinton Falls Outlet in NJ, the Tesla spots are in the closest parking spaces to the mall, while the EA/ EV Go station Is pushed off to the back of the property. When youā€™ve been driving for hours and need a bathroom break, that extra distance will matter to you.

Iā€™m still thrilled to have gone with our MME. For the daily needs, it works well enough. We went with it over the MY for many reasons, price, look, and comfort being top reasons. At todayā€™s price, there is no way I would have decided to buy it. As my family grows, Iā€™ll probably need either to trade this in or a second vehicle for those moments we need more room. I personally think the 2021 Job 2s is the best Mach-E you could have bought for those of us lucky to have gotten one.
As your family grows you should look at the Hummer EV. Should have enough space... :)
Sponsored