Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
56 MPH is not a low speed at all. That is medium or average highway speed. A Chevy Spark EV owner did a true (25 MPH) low speed drive for several hours on a closed track and passed 120 miles of range. Why not try this on a Mach-E? It may pass 400 miles of range.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
56 MPH is not a lows speed at all. That is médium or average highway speed
Yeah, that seems like a really high low speed for most people. Low speed for me would be at most 45mph like around the city -- with a lot of 25 and 35 mph.

The videos were still nice to see a somewhat similar comparison between the Mach-E and MY (even with the complaints from Tesla stans on here).

MachE1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Model 3/ 2020 Mazda Miata Club
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Same AWD, but he tested a Model Y Performance, except it would like comparing efficiency of a MachE ER AWD vs a MachE GT. But I understand he doesn't own a Model Y LR

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Same AWD, but he tested a Model Y Performance, except it would like comparing efficiency of a MachE ER AWD vs a MachE GT. But I understand he doesn't own a Model Y LR
I think what makes it a valid comparison is Teslas rating of 290 miles on the performance Model Y, vs a Mach-E which is rated at 270 miles (which actually seems unfair to the Mach-E on paper).

Performance or not, if you consider that the Model Y is advertised with a 290 mile range, you would expect it to hit that range on a low speed at the very least, but apparently you need to be rolling down hill, and go deeply below zero. Which Dave seems to be well aware of considering he went well beyond any point that a normal sane driver would actually attempt in both the low speed and high speed test on the Tesla.

When you consider that even at low speed the Model Y failed to reach its EPA rating, it really does become quite clear that Tesla is selling their customers real short here, and I mean that quite LITERALLY. ?

Honestly it boggles my mind how Tesla customers are ok with that. Tesla charges customers for range that cannot be achieved. They charge customers $10k for "full self driving" that is always "1 year away to full implementation", and which they admit will only ever have level 2 autonomy. Tesla cuts costs on literally everything possible including a dash display, buttons, knobs, and when customers ask for a dash display, Elon (tells you) you don't need it, it will be full self driving.. by the way that's a $10k option and it's not actually "full self driving" lol

To top it all off Tesla fans actuall defend this behavior vehemently!!

I absolutely love what Tesla did for the industry, but gosh darn... that business model is absolutely whack and really screws the customer, and it sounds like he followed in Apples footsteps.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope in the future, there is a way to design efficiency without creating ugly egg shapes.
The laws of physics (drag) won't change, but the energy density of batteries surely will. That's what it's going to take.

Besides, most consumers don't want shapes that are more aero. Most consumers want taller, roomier vehicles (SUVs, CUVs, trucks, etc).

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
EV Dave's videos are useful, however he occasionally comes off as the "grandpa who can't quite figure out how to change the clock on the VCR". His MME road trip (from a few weeks ago) was a bit frustrating to watch, as he fumbled through the navigation menus in a way that revealed he really didn't understand the Sync 4A interface.

MachE1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Model 3/ 2020 Mazda Miata Club
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think what makes it a valid comparison is Teslas rating of 290 miles on the performance Model Y, vs a Mach-E which is rated at 270 miles (which actually seems unfair to the Mach-E on paper).

Performance or not, if you consider that the Model Y is advertised with a 290 mile range, you would expect it to hit that range on a low speed at the very least, but apparently you need to be rolling down hill, and go deeply below zero. Which Dave seems to be well aware of considering he went well beyond any point that a normal sane driver would actually attempt in both the low speed and high speed test on the Tesla.

When you consider that even at low speed the Model Y failed to reach its EPA rating, it really does become quite clear that Tesla is selling their customers real short here, and I mean that quite LITERALLY. ?

Honestly it boggles my mind how Tesla customers are ok with that. Tesla charges customers for range that cannot be achieved. They charge customers $10k for "full self driving" that is always "1 year away to full implementation", and which they admit will only ever have level 2 autonomy. Tesla cuts costs on literally everything possible including a dash display, buttons, knobs, and when customers ask for a dash display, Elon (tells you) you don't need it, it will be full self driving.. by the way that's a $10k option and it's not actually "full self driving" lol

To top it all off Tesla fans actuall defend this behavior vehemently!!

I absolutely love what Tesla did for the industry, but gosh darn... that business model is absolutely whack and really screws the customer, and it sounds like he followed in Apples footsteps.
Teslas doesn't force you to get the $10K Full Self Driving, and anyone who gets it is just throwing money away. Tesla does do a lot of cost cutting and it's something they need to figure out ASAP which is why they should partner with a major manufacturer.

Being that I am not a Tesla diehard Fan, I see pros and cons to both vehicles.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Teslas doesn't force you to get the $10K Full Self Driving, and anyone who gets it is just throwing money away. Tesla does do a lot of cost cutting and it's something they need to figure out ASAP which is why they should partner with a major manufacturer.

Being that I am not a Tesla diehard Fan, I see pros and cons to both vehicles.
A lot of costs were cut during the Model 3 launch because Tesla almost went bankrupt. Many of those features were not implemented in the Y launch initially, but added later since Tesla is in better condition financially. The heated steering was intended for the 3 but not implemented, so the 2020 Model Y lacks it, too.

There are a lot of things Tesla lacks but there are things it has that other cars don't.

rfrommd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER RWD
Country flag
EV Dave's Model Y got 234 miles @75mph and 0% SoC; and his MME FE went 232 miles @75mph with 1% SoC.

It should be noted Dave had 221 miles driven at 1% and drove like 10 miles beyond 0% on his Y. No normal owner would do that.
So Edmunds, after Tesla complained about being criticized for underperforming EPA range, ran a bunch of EV's "beyond zero percent" and found that Teslas can go quite a while with 0% charge:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/testing-teslas-range-anxiety.html

Maybe he knew about that?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So Edmunds, after Tesla complained about being criticized for underperforming EPA range, ran a bunch of EV's "beyond zero percent" and found that Teslas can go quite a while with 0% charge:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/testing-teslas-range-anxiety.html

Maybe he knew about that?
Sure, but so does the mach-e. Their model Y test showed an additional 12 miles, the Mach E got 7. That's a whopping 5 mile difference and is probably really bad for your battery.

The real takeaway from this is that the myth of the model Y having more range is exposed - the EPA range of the model Y is nonsense. The Model Y is a little short of EPA range at 55 and far short of it any faster than that. The Mach E far exceeds its EPA range at 55mph and meets it at 65mph.

Last edited:

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
@OutofSpecKyle
Tell EvDave, if he wants to know where a charger is, bring up the turn list.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
I have a 2020 Long Range All Wheel Drive Model Y with 19" Gemini Wheels which has a 74 kWh battery (2021 has 82 kWh).

Here's some range tests I've done in the past for my podcast I'll toss into this thread.

Background Details:
1. 53 mile route between my house in Saint Peters, MO and Warrenton MO, 48.6 of those miles on I-70 West
2. Winds always < 10 mph to minimize variance between tests caused by wind
3. Basic Autopilot engaged @ 70 MPH on I-70, on-demand lane changes when necessary to maintain speed and consistency
4. No "chill mode", normal acceleration, Normal regen
5. Roads always dry (wet roads affect range too!)
6. Tires at 42 PSI (recommended inflation for the vehicle)
7. Started with a cold battery (no preconditioning) unless noted below

Outside TempWheel SizeWheel Covers On?Interior Temp (HVAC)wh/miMPGeMiles per kWhEstimated RangeEPA highway: 114 MPGe - 296 Wh/mi - 251 Miles
75F19" Gemini All Season TiresYes (adds 6.5% range)70260129.63.8281Better than EPA Highway Rating
75F19" Gemini All Season TiresNo70278121.23.6266Better than EPA Highway Rating
36F19" Gemini All Season TiresYes75 (cause heat pump to operate)294114.63.4252Better than EPA Highway Rating
36F19" Gemini Winter Tires (Pirelli Sottozero 3)Yes75310 (5% range drop due to winter tires)108.73.2237Worse than EPA EPA Highway Rating
28F19" Gemini All Season TiresYes75 (cause heat pump to operate)326103.43.1229Worse than EPA EPA Highway Rating
0F (Battery pre-conditioned via Tesla app to improve range and charging)19" Gemini Winter Tires (Pirelli Sottozero 3)Yes72 (cause heat pump to operate)48369.82148Much Worse than EPA EPA Highway Rating

You'll notice I reference the EPA highway rating specifically when showing the results. Some may think I'm gaming the numbers to make the Model Y look better. I think it's more accurate. I don't expect to EVER get 316 out of my car. It's not realistic.

I'm looking forward to getting a Mach-E to test soon along with a VW ID4 among others under similar conditions for comparison.
Sponsored

Last edited: