ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
UPDATE: One year later, Electrify America comes to this part of Orange County. Still no Superchargers in this zone. Not much change on the L2 charger front. See update post.

Original Post:

So I spent this past weekend on the Orange County coast in Southern California on a short family vacation. I have a Mach-E and my sister has a Model X. Both of our vehicles came along for the trip. I wasnā€™t thinking of comparing charging for these two vehicles, but we ended up having different experiences, and perhaps surprisingly (surprising because of conventional EV wisdom), I had the better experience being on Team J-Plug/CCS with the Mach-E vs Team Tesla/Supercharger for the Model X.

The trouble started for the Model X at our hotel - the J-Plug to Tesla adapter had been forgotten at home, so the Model X could not use any of the hotelā€™s several J-1772 chargers for a L2 charge. My Mach-E didn't have this issue because, to state what is plain, we are native to the J-Plug. I charged once for a few hours while we spent the day at the pool and it was problem solved for me for the remainder of the trip.

You could say this was a fluke, that our hotel could easily have only had Tesla destination chargers, and I could have been the one without the adapter. But this is less likely than it would seem. According to PlugShare, many more hotels seem to have J-Plug chargers as opposed to Tesla destination chargers. In fact, I have two screenshots from PlugShare showing this to be the case.

This first image shows all the L2 and L3 J-Plug/CCS chargers in the area we were hanging out in - Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, and between these two cities (Newport Coast). Basically, the area I am talking about is bound in the northwest by the 55 freeway, the 73 freeway in the north, and the 133 freeway in the southeast. The L3 CCS chargers are in orange on the PlugShare image.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs Tesla Model X - Charging Experience on the Orange County Coast 0B2946C4-0567-41D8-AD69-E03CD6B9F295

The same map frame set to a Tesla destination charger/Supercharger shows no supercharger and noticeably fewer Tesla destination chargers compared to J-Plugs.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs Tesla Model X - Charging Experience on the Orange County Coast 05631905-8832-4511-A851-3E18A2F789A6

But even if we rule out charging at the hotel, the Mach-E is on surer ground with finding a charger on the OC coast. I have three examples for this, all based on places we went to during our trip.

First, the Fashion Island outdoor mall, a big attraction for Newport Beach visitors. There are L2 J-Plug chargers at the mall, there are even some L3 CCS chargers directly at the mall and nearby at the Newport Beach Civic Center.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs Tesla Model X - Charging Experience on the Orange County Coast D71CFA5A-6757-40E1-8C68-3A2F84FEAB42

There are no L2 Tesla destination chargers at Fashion Island. There are also no L3 Superchargers nearby. Best option would be the L2 Tesla destination charger at the Newport Beach Civic Center if not using a J-Plug adapter at the mall for the Model X.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs Tesla Model X - Charging Experience on the Orange County Coast F62C9091-704E-48E8-B440-59FB6FA48B9F

Further down the coast at the Newport Coastā€™s Crystal Cove Shopping Center where there are a number of restaurants, stores, and a Trader Joes, the story is the much the same. There are L2 and L3 chargers available for the Mach-E to use at this location.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs Tesla Model X - Charging Experience on the Orange County Coast 380C12E5-E608-4DDA-8F43-ABABBE59EA31

But there is nothing for the Model X. As a result, just like with Fashion Island, the Model X canā€™t use Tesla charging tech to get an energy boost while shopping/eating at this commercial development between Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. In fact, the closest Tesla destination charger not at a hotel is at a restaurant in Corona Del Mar far away from Crystal Cove and close to the Fashion Island mall. You can see where the Crystal Cove Shopping Center is on the below image, looking to see where the name ā€˜Javierā€™sā€™ appears.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs Tesla Model X - Charging Experience on the Orange County Coast AF60582C-CFE8-467A-81FD-7A6E43402A23

Iā€™m a little bit surprised at Laguna Beach, it had very few public charging options. No L3 charging for the Mach-E and only a couple of locations for L2 charging on a J-Plug in the heart of its commercial center (where the 133 meets PCH on the beach).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs Tesla Model X - Charging Experience on the Orange County Coast DC192F43-CC33-4216-AB7C-2BAA89C4C164

However, that was still better than what was available for the Model X, with only a single location (though a hotel) having a Tesla destination charger if you were coming to the main part of Laguna Beach, where the 133 and PCH meet.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs Tesla Model X - Charging Experience on the Orange County Coast BE21D853-BE20-465D-8F92-F6E94A596ABA

So in summary, I was surprised to learn that even somewhere like the Orange County coast (Teslas everywhere, prime plaid territory), you are much more likely to encounter a J-Plug as opposed to a Tesla destination charger at a hotel, and then encounter a J-Plug or even a L3 charger at a place you might be visiting if coming to these beach communities.

Ultimately, the Model X ended up going a bit inland to charge at a supercharger in Irvine during the trip (charging on the way home would not have been realistic/pleasant due to young kids in the car). If my hotel didnā€™t have a L2 J-Plug charger, my plan B would have been to use a L3 CCS charger while at Fashion Island or the Crystal Cove Shopping Center, which I didn't have to do. I would also have had an easier time finding a L2 charger in Laguna Beach if I had needed the charge there.

Even though this was Mach-E vs Model X, in the end, this post would really apply to any non-Tesla vehicle (J-Plug/CCS) versus Tesla (destination charger/supercharger).

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
this is a very interesting write-up. ever since this site started, there's been constant talk from some about how Tesla has a better charging infrastructure, period, and nobody will ever catch up, and everyone else should just give up, and on and on.

while one example doesn't mean everything is peachy keen, all it takes is one counterexample to disprove a statement of the form "it's always true that xyz".

your one counterexample is enough to reduce the situation to "Tesla drivers sometimes have access to a better charging infrastructure." If I'm being more generous, It's possible that it's true that "Tesla drivers usually have access to a better charging infrastructure." or even "Tesla drivers almost always have access to a better charging infrastructure."

however, it's now factually proven that "Tesla drivers always have access to the best charging infrastructure" is wrong.

I know my post will annoy the Stans even more than your post did. Too bad, they can deal.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Here there is good Tesla infrastructure but given the long queues and wait times you'll see Tesla's hogging all the L2 spots as well.

Orange county here we come!

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Here there is good Tesla infrastructure but given the long queues and wait times you'll see Tesla's hogging all the L2 spots as well.

Orange county here we come!
I think Tesla is working on a CCS adapter so that Teslas can use non-Tesla L3 charging (aside from chademo, which I believe there already is an adapter for).

For all the talk about Superchargers being more common, more convenient, if Tesla does come out with a CCS adapter, I think the most common L3 charging complaint for non-Tesla owners won't be that CCS chargers are rare or hard to find compared to superchargers, but that the CCS chargers are always being hogged by the Teslas.

Electric Fusion

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi eTron, TT Roush Mustang, *Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is nothing new, Tesla only has more SC location when you compared to one other CCS network but they have a lot less SC location when you combine all CCS network vs Tesla .. and their are 3x more AC J1772 location than Tesla destinations chargers ..

This information has been factual for years now, but for some reason people always compare Tesla supercharger network versus one other CCS networks instead of all the CCS network combined.. crazy .. itā€™s like saying your car can take gas for many Different branded gas station but you should only compare using just one gas station brand ?

anyways at one point I was like many other Tesla owner keep thinking what everyone else with Tesla say was true until I found the PlugShare app .. I still have my model 3 as my son still likes it and he only charge on his base anyways.. SC network only good for Long road trips ..

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Lets hope Tesla opens Supercharger network to others soon, so some remote locations like Yellowstone/Dakotas will be easier accessible.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Tesla Stans: "...bUT tHe CHarGIng neTwork!"
Everyone Else: (laughs)
Tesla Stans: "Crap."

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
That why I bought 2 Tesla adapter to charge on J1772. 1 at home for our L2 and 1 I always leave it in the car. If I use the public charger I just put it back in the black Tesla bag with the mobile charger in it.
i learn it hard way also

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This is nothing new, Tesla only has more SC location when you compared to one other CCS network but they have a lot less SC location when you combine all CCS network vs Tesla .. and their are 3x more AC J1772 location than Tesla destinations chargers ..

This information has been factual for years now, but for some reason people always compare Tesla supercharger network versus one other CCS networks instead of all the CCS network combined.. crazy .. itā€™s like saying your car can take gas for many Different branded gas station but you should only compare using just one gas station brand ?

anyways at one point I was like many other Tesla owner keep thinking what everyone else with Tesla say was true until I found the PlugShare app .. I still have my model 3 as my son still likes it and he only charge on his base anyways.. SC network only good for Long road trips ..
I was also apparently thinking along your lines, or how you used to think, the PlugShare app is definitely eye-opening.

I just assumed Tesla had the better network based on conventional wisdom. I was surprised when my brother in law told me he had to go to Irvine to charge the Model X. In planning for the trip, my main dilemma had been deciding from the handful of good options where I would charge my Mach-E (I outlined them in my original post).

So on our last day, when I understood that there had not been any good/convenient Tesla charging options over the four days we were there based on where we went and where we stayed, and that's why the out-of-the-way supercharger visit was needed, I was really surprised.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Excellent info, we used to live in oc, and my son is still there, your post is very helpful, thanks for taking the time on this,

one5460

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MazdaSpeed 3
Country flag
Looks like the real problem here was forgetting the j-1772 at home. They come with every Tesla (as far as I know)for this very scenario.

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Looks like the real problem here was forgetting the j-1772 at home. They come with every Tesla (as far as I know)for this very scenario.
Indeed, and worlds are about to collide if Tesla opens up supercharging to everyone and releases a CCS adapter for Teslas. At that point, anyone will be able to use anything and which system is the ā€˜nativeā€™ network for any given car will all pretty much be moot.

But my point with this thread was that in a pretty built out area as far as EV infrastructure goes, the common network wasnā€™t just approaching the Tesla network, it was substantially better than it.

You could say there is an easy adapter thatā€™s literally included with every Tesla sold, and thatā€™s true. But in the pro/con list of comparing the Mach-E to Tesla (or other EVs in general to Tesla), one big item thatā€™s usually mentioned on the ā€˜proā€™ side for Tesla is an unparalleled charging network and in literally the first road trip I took in my Mach-E where a Model X was also present, that wasnā€™t anywhere near the case and wanted to share my experience.

one5460

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MazdaSpeed 3
Country flag
Indeed, and worlds are about to collide if Tesla opens up supercharging to everyone and releases a CCS adapter for Teslas. At that point, anyone will be able to use anything and which system is the ā€˜nativeā€™ network for any given car will all pretty much be moot.

But my point with this thread was that in a pretty built out area as far as EV infrastructure goes, the common network wasnā€™t just approaching the Tesla network, it was substantially better than it.

You could say there is an easy adapter thatā€™s literally included with every Tesla sold, and thatā€™s true. But in the pro/con list of comparing the Mach-E to Tesla (or other EVs in general to Tesla), one big item thatā€™s usually mentioned on the ā€˜proā€™ side for Tesla is an unparalleled charging network and in literally the first road trip I took in my Mach-E where a Model X was also present, that wasnā€™t anywhere near the case and wanted to share my experience.
There is always room for improvement in certain areas, but looking at that map, a Tesla driver shouldn't have an issue even without a J adapter.

Also, Tesla's network isn't just praised for availability. It's also praised for reliability, ease of use and charging speed. Having a ton of chargers around is one thing, having them be reliable is another.

It's about just plugging in, charging and leaving within a reasonable amount of time with the least amount of issues as possible. Say what you want, Tesla is still king there.

Of course, it's great to see so many other options becoming available. The more EVs on the road, the better for everyone.

Reactions: ARK

ewoodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Country flag
This is a really unfair and confusing review.
Just because the J-1772 adapter was left home, shouldn't have invalidated it's use.

But, even more unfair and confusing is the continual mixing of DC Fast Charging and J-1772 charging. They aren't interchangeable.

For the visit to the hotel, the J-1772 charging is a valid option. It takes a long time (multiple hours) and best works when you are at a location for an extended time.

But if there was a Tesla Supercharger available (or CCS for that matter) the need to do a slow charge is reduced. An hour at a DC Fast charger is equivalent to 4+ hours at a J-1772 charger.

And you did a great job of sizing your map to not show the Superchargers a very few mile outside the frame.
Sponsored