Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Agreed, wish the MME had the 800V battery too. Would make public charging so much more palatable! I prefer the Kia EV6 design to the Ioniq 5 though.
This looks like an econobox]
Sponsored

Reactions: DBC

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
This looks like an econobox]
Design is subjective but to me the interior screams "cheap". Really do not like it at all. Lacks any sense of design. On the exterior, I do not like all the squares. Very reminiscent of 1980 computer graphics. The wheels might be nice. Would love to see them more clearly but they look nice and if they really do help with aero -- not sure about this -- then they might be brilliant. Being able to move the center console might also be a great idea. Would have to see how it works.

The 800v charging is a big plus. However, the Koreans have claimed things on the battery front in the past which were never delivered so we'll have to see how this actually works. If delivered it could be a big deal, if for no other reason than setting the bar higher for everyone else.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Guess again. Yes you will need something to stop back feeding the grid but that's the starting point not the ending point. The box isn't just a switch, it's a piece of software. To get this approved you will need to rewire the main panel. Then you will need to get a signed interconnect agreement from the utility, which will of course require everything to be installed by a licensed electrician and inspected. Not to mention the box will have to be approved in the first place AND the national and local building codes will have to be amended.

Then you move on to the connectors. A J1772 connector and the dedicated circuit it's on likely won't support the power draw needed on startup. How are you going to connect to the box? Will there be a separate connector? How does that get approved? How large will the cable for the box be?

I can see a connector running to a box into which you can plug extension cords. That's bi-directional and doable. But plugging the car into the whole house? Not happening. Basically the less you know the simpler it all seems. IOW your "non-issue" is shorthand for "no-go".
I suggest contacting Lucid and VW as obviously they haven't thought of this since they're launching true bidirectional within months.

It will almost certainly be CCS in VW's case. They have made specific mention of a DC wallbox, so presumably it will be low current DC with the rectification happening in the wallbox.

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
The Ioniq 5 pleasantly surprised me- I was expecting a sedan/hatchback but its height is almost identical to that of the Model Y. It's more like a crossover/SUV with sedan/hatchback styling. This photo from insideevs shows its bulk when compared to the XC60.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 10-cimg4931b.JPG

https://insideevs.com/reviews/503669/hyundai-ioniq-5-first-drive/

CyanLite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD ER
Country flag
Not true.
Guess again. Yes you will need something to stop back feeding the grid but that's the starting point not the ending point. The box isn't just a switch, it's a piece of software. To get this approved you will need to rewire the main panel. Then you will need to get a signed interconnect agreement from the utility, which will of course require everything to be installed by a licensed electrician and inspected. Not to mention the box will have to be approved in the first place AND the national and local building codes will have to be amended.

Then you move on to the connectors. A J1772 connector and the dedicated circuit it's on likely won't support the power draw needed on startup. How are you going to connect to the box? Will there be a separate connector? How does that get approved? How large will the cable for the box be?

I can see a connector running to a box into which you can plug extension cords. That's bi-directional and doable. But plugging the car into the whole house? Not happening. Basically the less you know the simpler it all seems. IOW your "non-issue" is shorthand for "no-go".
Ioniq5 isn’t true V2G. You hook up a standard 3 prong extension cord to it and it provides 3.6kW of power, enough for about 20 hours of power. Perfect for overnight camping or short term power outages. I don’t want to have a 99kWh pack sitting in my garage while I’m freezing like Texas did this past winter.

And no, you don’t need all that junk you’re referring to. A simple cheap 5 dollar transfer switch plate on your main circuit breaker panel will do the trick if you do want to integrate it into your house.

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME First Edition (cancelled), Ioniq 5 Project 45
Country flag
For what is worth, because Ford wasn't able to deliver my Mach-E (the last 2 months, they kept saying that the car would be deliver "next week"), I ordered an Ioniq 5 3 weeks ago and got it last Friday.

To be honest, when I saw the announcement, I thought, this might have been the car I would have ordered if I did not have a reservation on my Mach-E and (at that time) would get it in a month or so (original delivery was planned on April 24th). After Ford not being able to deliver and not considering me at all (Ford France is way different than Ford in the US, and they really don't give a s..t on their customers), I took the opportunity to switch to it.

The car is amazing! The look is really different than the Mustang, looks more like a concept car (this is what people tells me when they see the car) where the Mustang was looking really sporty.
I personally like both designs, but I can understand that people don't like the Ioniq 5.
I can tell you though that the car looks much better in real than in pictures, and that this is a big car (not the compact size it looks on pictures). It actually is bigger than the Mach-E inside!

The car has a lot of features I was missing the Mach-E (front ventilated seats, heated rear seats, HUD, etc.) and has a lot of cool features such as the V2L, zero-gravity seats, control of all seats from the driver's seat, augmented reality GPS in the HUD, amazing interactive 3D view of the car (in combination of the 360) - see below -, control of the car with the key (without being in the car), etc.

Please find herewith some pictures of the car for those interested

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9783

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9784

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9785

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9786

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9787

Lights on
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9788

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9789

Interior
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9790

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9791

Wheels
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9792

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9793

Driver seat in zero gravity position
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9795

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9796

Trunk
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9797

Charging port
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9799

Lights by night
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9801

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9802

And a video of the interactive 3D view

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is a big car! 4 635 mm L x 1 890 mm L x 1 605-1 647 mm H
It is as large as my previous Lexus RX450h.
Wheelbase is 3m, so the same as an Audi A8! (in fact a bit longer 3000mm Vs. 2998mm ?)

And yes, I have the blind spot video, really great stuff too, very clever!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 IMG_9808

(not driving at that time, just took a picture in my front yard ?)

Last edited:

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The first tests I made were very convincing! The car follows smoothly the lines.
Something interesting, it auto-disables when approaching a roundabout and re-enables right after. Pretty neat!
To be honest, not a feature that I like too much at this point, not because it does not work, but because I don't feel comfortable with the car driving instead of me ?

But I need to make more tests to have a good idea of how it works. There are so many options that I have to read a bit before! (manual is 700 pages ?)

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
So…. I prefer the specs of the EV6 GT but prefer the look of this Ioniq. I haven’t been following this very long but that’s a pretty slick looking car. That camera is awesome. Is there a GT variant coming for the Ioniq coming to the US? They claim the EV6 will be just as fast as the MME GT PE

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So…. I prefer the specs of the EV6 GT but prefer the look of this Ionic. I haven’t been following this very long but that’s a pretty slick looking car. That camera is awesome. Is there a GT variant coming for the Ionic coming to the US? They claim the EV6 will be just as fast as the MME GT PE
I personally don't like the back of the EV6 (the lights) and needed a car right away, so...

But there is an Ioniq 5 N (equivalent to GT, N meaning NĂĽrbĂĽrgring ?) that will come later this year I heard.

The interior is more cosy on the Ioniq 5, for the EV6, it is more a car made for the driver (all screen towards the driver, smaller at the back, etc.). The EV6 is meant to be the sport car where the Ioniq 5 is meant to be the family car.

Some things that I like on the Ioniq 5 and seems to be missing on the EV6 (as far as I understood) is the heat pump.

But I also know that the specs for the US are going to be different than Europe (or Korea).
For example, the Ioniq 5 will have a bigger battery pack in the US, the Ioniq 5 has cameras in Korea instead of mirrors for the rest of the world...

Last edited:

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I personally don't like the back of the EV6 (the lights) and needed a car right away, so...

But there is an Ioniq 5 N (equivalent to GT, N meaning NĂĽrbĂĽrgring ?) that will come later this year I heard.

The interior is more cosy on the Ioniq 5, for the EV6, it is more a car made for the driver (all screen towards the driver, smaller at the back, etc.). The EV6 is meant to be the sport car where the Ioniq 5 is meant to be the family car.

Some things that I like on the Ioniq 5 and seems to be missing on the EV6 (as far as I understood) is the heat pump.

But I also know that the specs for the US are going to be different than Europe (or Korea).
For example, the Ioniq 5 will have a bigger battery pack in the US, the Ioniq 5 has cameras instead of mirrors for the rest of the world...
There's apparently a rendering of the N variant out there. I tell ya, if it comes out looking close to this with the EV6 GT performance and Ford keeps messing with my order, I may jump ship. This is a nice looking hatch

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 1625589817114
Sponsored