Mach E web series Part 3 - Can someone please post the correct link before tomorrow?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'll ask, and if they answer I'll let you know
I can't make it to this one, either. @zhackwyatt's first question is spot on for me, too.

Other things I'm wondering:

MSRP for second mobile charger?

Availability of pigtails for mobile charger, such as for NEMA 14-20R receptacles?

What actions is Ford taking to fulfill it's commitment to EV charging network expansion, beyond partnering with Greenlots for payment processing and location/status directories?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Availability of pigtails for mobile charger, such as for NEMA 14-20R receptacles?
Remember that this would result in plugging a 32A charger into a 20A receptacle -- not a smart move.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Remember that this would result in plugging a 32A charger into a 20A receptacle -- not a smart move.
It's no different than plugging the mobile charger into a 120V 15A receptacle.

What I'd like Ford to provide or sell is additional pigtails for the included charger. The pigtail has an extra pin or two on the end that plugs into the mobile charger brick. There would be a resistor or some similar scheme in that end of the pigtail that would allow the brick to configure itself appropriately.

Exactly as Tesla sells for their mobile charger. Check out the selection on the pull down menu at this page: https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It's no different than plugging the mobile charger into a 120V 15A receptacle.
Not true. The charger can easily sense that it is plugged into 120V or 240V.

I only know of any way the charger can test the load rating of the breaker for a circuit: go and blow. It's a 32A charger. The NEMA 14-xx receptacles are all different to avoid doing overloading circuits.

It's possible that the car's programming has the ability to limit charging to match the amperage of the circuit. However, most people won't know the amperage or even think to look. Plugging a known 32A load into a 20A circuit is relying on the last line of defense (circuit breaker) to prevent an electrical fire.

The Tesla mobile charger may have a system to identify which of their pigtails has been installed. There is no indication the Ford Mobile Charger can do this.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Not true. The charger can easily sense that it is plugged into 120V or 240V.

I only know of any way the charger can test the load rating of the breaker for a circuit: go and blow. It's a 32A charger. The NEMA 14-xx receptacles are all different to avoid doing overloading circuits.

It's possible that the car's programming has the ability to limit charging to match the amperage of the circuit. However, most people won't know the amperage or even think to look. Plugging a known 32A load into a 20A circuit is relying on the last line of defense (circuit breaker) to prevent an electrical fire.

The Tesla mobile charger may have a system to identify which of their pigtails has been installed. There is no indication the Ford Mobile Charger can do this.
You're probably right. I don't think we've seen a side-shot photo of the included pigtails yet? So I'm still at least mildly hopeful that there are more than just the four pins we can see from the top-down photos.

The Tesla photos appear really similar, with four obvious pins shown in top-down views like at tesla.com. But when I search and find side-angle photos, I can see there are three extra pins used to communicate maximum amperage to the EVSE. For a Tesla mobile EVSE, it has nothing to do with the circuit or in wall wiring -- it's a feature of the proprietary connector from the pigtail to the EVSE.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E web series Part 3 - Can someone please post the correct link before tomorrow? 10-30-gen-2
Sponsored