ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Hi,
From my experience owning 2 BEVs and the 100's of review youtube videos I've watched (I'm not an expert), an Ev's peak charging starts to taper or step down anywhere from 40-65% depending on the manufacturer. So from about 0% to 40% (35kWh), it should take about 14 minutes. That would give you 119 miles (3.4m/kWh). Assuming perfect conditions, which is what most manufacturers quote.

That being said, I have never seen the peak number for my 2020 Bolt. The best I have done is 52kw. The bolt will stay the "max" charging rate from 1% to 55%, which a lot longer than 10 minutes. It's closer to an hour.

I will have to see some real-world charging rates for the Mach E. If it can't maintain charging near 150kWh for more than 10 minutes, this isn't the car for me. I don't own a gas car so I'm looking for charging that is at least two times the speed I have now.

Let's hope Ford is being conservative.
Sponsored

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hi,
From my experience owning 2 BEVs and the 100's of review youtube videos I've watched (I'm not an expert), an Ev's peak charging starts to taper or step down anywhere from 40-65% depending on the manufacturer. So from about 0% to 40% (35kWh), it should take about 14 minutes. That would give you 119 miles (3.4kWh/m). Assuming perfect conditions, which is what most manufacturers quote.

That being said, I have never seen the peak number for my 2020 Bolt. The best I have done is 52kw. The bolt will stay the "max" charging rate from 1% to 55%, which a lot longer than 10 minutes. It's closer to an hour.

I will have to see some real-world charging rates for the Mach E. If it can't maintain charging near 150kWh for more than 10 minutes, this isn't the car for me. I don't own a gas car so I'm looking for charging that is at least two times the speed I have now.

Let's hope Ford is being conservative.
Ford is probably being conservative at first. As with other manufacturers, they likely way over engineered the safety margins and after 6-12 months will unlock capacity, charging speed, or both.

If I had to put $5 on it, I'd bet on a 40 minutes charge to 80% from 10% and possibly shave 2-5 minutes more in a year.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
From my experience owning 2 BEVs and the 100's of review youtube videos I've watched (I'm not an expert), an Ev's peak charging starts to taper or step down anywhere from 40-65% depending on the manufacturer.
All I know to go by is various info on the internet, but charge curves seem to vary a lot. The only way I can get the math to work on Ford's numbers is for there to be a very quick taper from 150 kW (and an early quote for a Ford rep called it "very briefly" IIRC. So I've been assuming the MME charge curve will profile similar to the Model 3 (the red line, except peaking at 150 instead of 250).

Hopefully there's some rounding errors and future tweaks to improve it some, but seems likely to be a fast taper regardless.

Tesla-Model-3-LR-on-Supercharger-V3-June-2019-Data.png
Sponsored