malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Its not going to work very well for the speed traps where the officer sits there all day with the engine running sipping on coffee waiting for a speeder to drive by.
Sponsored

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Its not going to work very well for the speed traps where the officer sits there all day with the engine running sipping on coffee waiting for a speeder to drive by.
If the interceptor graphic means anything, they will use it like they used the old Mustang LX 5.0 ones back in the 1990s. They set up speed traps with the Interceptors ready to run down the speeders.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
With only 210 mile range, they must be getting the GT Performance versions. There will be extra weight and power needs as well for the Police tech.
Select, Standard Range AWD = 211 ("estimated at 210")

Reactions: ARK

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
I wonder if this is going to be the police chief's daily commuter? There's not a police package MME yet, so they're basically buying something sight-unseen with no idea of its capabilities for law enforcement work. On the other hand, this is Ann Arbor, and the city council is known for not really thinking about things. Strangely, it kind of works for them.

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Maybe they have police software that can be utilized through carplay/androidauto. Mach-E would be enticing then, and preferable over a Tesla, with the big screen potentially replacing a bulky police laptop for looking up registrations, warrants, and such. Otherwise, it would be awkward fitting in the typical police computer systems without blocking the screen.

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
My guess is that it will not be used for patrols, arrests, or such. Would need to be retrofitted quite a bit to make it escape-proof and sanitary, which would be a shame with that interior, and I feel like that is something that would only happen and be an available option with more established cars, though I don't know how that process works. Maybe it would be for detectives or administration purposes? Would be interesting to see the cars all decked out with police gadgets and branding.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My guess is that it will not be used for patrols, arrests, or such. Would need to be retrofitted quite a bit to make it escape-proof and sanitary, which would be a shame with that interior, and I feel like that is something that would only happen and be an available option with more established cars, though I don't know how that process works. Maybe it would be for detectives or administration purposes? Would be interesting to see the cars all decked out with police gadgets and branding.
Probably true but wouldn’t a Mach E be awesome for speed patrol on Interstates? That acceleration would put you on someone’s bumper in no time at all.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Probably true but wouldn’t a Mach E be awesome for speed patrol on Interstates? That acceleration would put you on someone’s bumper in no time at all.
I don't think it would work too well in that role because the officer is usually running the engine and the AC or heat all day in that role. The battery would not last long enough with the heat/ac constantly on.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I don't think it would work too well in that role because the officer is usually running the engine and the AC or heat all day in that role. The battery would not last long enough with the heat/ac constantly on.
88 kWh ER battery (just an example) 3 kW A/C compressor, that's just over a day straight of full blast A/C. Even with a 5 kW PTC heater, that's still nearly 18 hrs of just the heat cranked at 100%.

BEVs have a huge advantage vs ICE when idling, far less energy wasted.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
This could be a supervisor/detective car, or patrol duty, we'll see. While there are off the shelf parts for more established cruisers, the mods can be done to any car with enough will and money.

Some departments have modified Model 3s and Bolts for patrol duty.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It’ll be fine. Do the math.
88 kWh ER battery (just an example) 3 kW A/C compressor, that's just over a day straight of full blast A/C. Even with a 5 kW PTC heater, that's still nearly 18 hrs of just the heat cranked at 100%.

BEVs have a huge advantage vs ICE when idling, far less energy wasted.
Absolutely. A more realistic 3kW PTC heater would use 24 kWh during an 8-hour shift. Assuming from the range listed of 210 miles, that Mach E4 has 132 miles of range remaining. That’s 22 6-mile round trip ticket runs in a day.

Even, all that idle time is a killer for police cars, cutting engine life in half or more on a per mile basis. No idling here.