JDRGolfer1

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
I was really hoping these wouldn't be police vehicles. Not excited to be driving it as much when police are using them too. Same way I feel about the explorers, I don't want the same vehicle. It's just weird to me, not nearly as excited now
Sponsored

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
But $5,000 for two level 2 chargers? Is that a typo, or government at work?
Oh I'm sure that's real. I paid $5900. To be more accurate, I paid my electrician $5900... the total cost of everything is considerably more. AND... I saved a bunch of money by doing a lot of the labor myself -- pretty much everything *except* the actual running of the wires and connections. Had I hired out everything ... I'm sure my project would cost more than $10k.

The story is long and complicated but the short version is I own a 1940's house with a mere 100 amp meter socket and service panel. There was no way it could handle the amperage for an EV charger. ALSO ... I have a detached garage (which really complicated things).

I ended up having to get my main meter replaced with a 320 amp meter socket. I had to install a second EV-only meter on the house (125 amp service). I had to install a new main service panel in my garage (200 amps). I had to convert the old main-service panel (100 amps) into a sub-panel off the 200 amp garage panel. I also had to install a 125 amp sub-panel for EV charging in the garage.

All of that were unavoidable costs ... pay it or don't get an EV. Then there were the costs I willingly took on. I decided I wanted everything moved underground. So we trenched from the garage to the house (and that involved cutting through the concrete driveway) ... but this allowed me to add extra conduits for cable, fiber, phone, network, etc. all run underground. I even added a irrigation hose so I can water the grass on the far side of my driveway.

It adds up. IF I had owned a newer home with 200 amp service and an attached garage ... adding a 60 amp charger to the garage would have been no big deal. But with a detached garage and only 100 amp service ... a lot of expensive upgrades were required.

I can *easily* imagine $5000 to add two 60-amp chargers. The main trigger to the run-away expense... is once the amount of additional amperage you need exceeds what your existing main power line, meter, and service panels can handle ... it ALL has to be upgraded. And that ain't cheap!

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Probably true but wouldn’t a Mach E be awesome for speed patrol on Interstates? That acceleration would put you on someone’s bumper in no time at all.
Might work, but as it's the city ordering the vehicles and not the MSP I don't think it'll be used on the highways.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Might work, but as it's the city ordering the vehicles and not the MSP I don't think it'll be used on the highways.
You are most probably right.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
I was really hoping these wouldn't be police vehicles. Not excited to be driving it as much when police are using them too. Same way I feel about the explorers, I don't want the same vehicle. It's just weird to me, not nearly as excited now
Meh, look at it the other way. What do city governments buy for their police? The best performance, cost of ownership, and reliability for the best total cost of ownership. I think it kind of affirms that you're making a good choice. They didn't make Pintos or Gremlins into cop cars. They DID make Crown Vics, Chargers, and Explorers into cop cars. Which would you rather have?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Meh, look at it the other way. What do city governments buy for their police? The best performance, cost of ownership, and reliability for the best total cost of ownership. I think it kind of affirms that you're making a good choice. They didn't make Pintos or Gremlins into cop cars. They DID make Crown Vics, Chargers, and Explorers into cop cars. Which would you rather have?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Will Join Ann Arbor Police Department Unknown

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
*Picks up gauntlet, withdraws challenge to duel at dawn*
pretty sure there's a law against that here...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Will Join Ann Arbor Police Department giphy (2)

I swear I saw it...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Will Join Ann Arbor Police Department giphy (1)

well, I'll be damned...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Will Join Ann Arbor Police Department giphy (3)