Mach E's Adaptive Cruise Control (without Hands-Free)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Yep. Looks like a front washer but nothing to wash your rear.
camera washer.jpg

107531356_279600129952062_3403232247467201562_n.jpg
tbh that feels like a reasonable compromise from a cost/complexity viewpoint - in over 10 years of driving cars with rear-view cameras - even in Ohio snowy winters - I can count on one hand I think the number of times I have had to clean a rear camera lens. It's pretty well protected in the back, and in that picture it looks like it's protected top and bottom with the shape of the car.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
tbh that feels like a reasonable compromise from a cost/complexity viewpoint - in over 10 years of driving cars with rear-view cameras - even in Ohio snowy winters - I can count on one hand I think the number of times I have had to clean a rear camera lens. It's pretty well protected in the back, and in that picture it looks like it's protected top and bottom with the shape of the car.
That's what I thought with our Prius. Now we have a Leaf and every rainstorm and there are drops hanging on the lens like a little kid with a runny nose. The Leaf needs a bidet!

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
My wife just got a 2020 Explorer ST last week. It includes Ford Co-Pilot360™ Assist+ which has the Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control with: Stop-and-Go, Lane Centering, and Speed Sign Recognition.

After driving using these features on a 3 hour road trip this past weekend I have a few observations and things I hope the Mach-E does better with Ford Co-Pilot360™ Assist 2.0.

1. The lane centering works really well on interstate highways. I think it rides a little too far to the left, but maybe I'm used to driving more to the right side of the lane. This is made me slightly nervous on two lane highways. It rides closer to the center line (center of the lane) rather than closer to the right shoulder. I wish that when driving on two lane highways it would ride more to the right instead of being so close to oncoming traffic. I will say the system does handle gentle highway curves quite well, it feels like the steering wheel just knows what you want to do when going into the curve. Even driving in a light rain did not cause any issues.

2. Sometimes I felt like I was fighting the lane centering system to not drift to the left. If I lessened my grip of the wheel a bit the system would go slightly to the left, then very slightly 'bounce' off of the left side and steer itself back to the center. Then it would drive down the center just fine. It seemed to do this adjustment after curves, like it was trying to find the center again. I never felt like it was going to drift out of the lane but it was noticeable. If the Mach-E did that when in hands free mode I think it would make me want to grab the wheel just as a backup.

3. The lane centering was confused sometimes by the pavement markings. If there is a seam that was filled in with tar (solid black line) I think it confused the system as to where the center of the lane is. It seemed to bounce left and right a bit. Like it was switching back and forth from thinking the left lane edge was the white lane marker or the black tar line. The car was making very slight adjustments, but still noticeable. Example:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E's Adaptive Cruise Control (without Hands-Free) 1597676777698

4. The intelligent adaptive cruise does not start lowering your speed until AFTER you have passed the speed limit sign. We were on a stretch of road that goes from 70 to 55 and back to 70 (yes it's weird but that's what the road does). Anyway, cops tend to sit where the limit drops and pop people for not slowing down. I will say the adaptive cruise did brake to slow down quite quickly from 75 to 60, but I would have preferred if it adjusted the speed so that I was going the lower limit when I reached the sign, not AFTER. (I had the speed tolerance set for 5 over the posted limit). At the transition from 55 back to 70 the cruise sped up just after the sign which is fine.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
1. The lane centering works really well on interstate highways. I think it rides a little too far to the left, but maybe I'm used to driving more to the right side of the lane.
Not trying to criticize your driving or anything. But, is it possible the Explorer is centering you in the lane, and you tend to drive close to the right lane? You may be able to point your side mirrors down a little bit temporarily to see how close the car is to each white line.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not trying to criticize your driving or anything. But, is it possible the Explorer is centering you in the lane, and you tend to drive close to the right lane? You may be able to point your side mirrors down a little bit temporarily to see how close the car is to each white line.
It’s funny, I thought the same thing. I checked the mirrors to confirm what I was seeing. Because this was my first time using the lane centering I was watching it closely. When it would ‘bounce’ off of the left side I was very close to the line, but not over it.

Towards the end of the interstate portion of the drive I was just like, ‘whatever, it’s staying in the lane so just relax’. I began to trust it more.

But you’re right, I think I, like most people, do tend to ride more to the right side of the lane on the two lane highways (you can see the groves in the pavement). So riding in the center was a bit different at first.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I'm glad to hear that it wasn't ping-ponging down the road. I hate that in my lane keep assist.

OP
OP
RyZt

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I'm glad to hear that it wasn't ping-ponging down the road. I hate that in my lane keep assist.
"Lane keep assist" is just that, as its name suggests. It's a safety feature to prevent you from going out of the lane. It's not a convenience feature that allows you to let the car steer itself.

On the other hand, I consider "lane centering" a convenience feature.

Mach E has both "Lane Keeping Assist" (under Ford Co-Pilot360 2.0) and "Intelligent ACC" (under Ford Co-Pilot 360 Assist 2.0). The former is always on (unless you turn it off) whereas the later is only on when using cruise control.

Last edited:

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
"Lane keep assist" is just that, as its name suggests. It's a safety feature to prevent you from going out of the lane. It's not a convenience feature that allows you to let the car steer itself.
Ford Co-Pilot360TM Assist 2.0
Featuring: Lane Centering

The Lane Centering feature, which I consider a safety feature, does allow you to let the car steer itself. It will be available on the 2021 MME.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My wife just got a 2020 Explorer ST last week. It includes Ford Co-Pilot360™ Assist+ which has the Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control with: Stop-and-Go, Lane Centering, and Speed Sign Recognition.

After driving using these features on a 3 hour road trip this past weekend I have a few observations and things I hope the Mach-E does better with Ford Co-Pilot360™ Assist 2.0.

1. The lane centering works really well on interstate highways. I think it rides a little too far to the left, but maybe I'm used to driving more to the right side of the lane. This is made me slightly nervous on two lane highways. It rides closer to the center line (center of the lane) rather than closer to the right shoulder. I wish that when driving on two lane highways it would ride more to the right instead of being so close to oncoming traffic. I will say the system does handle gentle highway curves quite well, it feels like the steering wheel just knows what you want to do when going into the curve. Even driving in a light rain did not cause any issues.

2. Sometimes I felt like I was fighting the lane centering system to not drift to the left. If I lessened my grip of the wheel a bit the system would go slightly to the left, then very slightly 'bounce' off of the left side and steer itself back to the center. Then it would drive down the center just fine. It seemed to do this adjustment after curves, like it was trying to find the center again. I never felt like it was going to drift out of the lane but it was noticeable. If the Mach-E did that when in hands free mode I think it would make me want to grab the wheel just as a backup.

3. The lane centering was confused sometimes by the pavement markings. If there is a seam that was filled in with tar (solid black line) I think it confused the system as to where the center of the lane is. It seemed to bounce left and right a bit. Like it was switching back and forth from thinking the left lane edge was the white lane marker or the black tar line. The car was making very slight adjustments, but still noticeable. Example:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E's Adaptive Cruise Control (without Hands-Free) 1597676777698

4. The intelligent adaptive cruise does not start lowering your speed until AFTER you have passed the speed limit sign. We were on a stretch of road that goes from 70 to 55 and back to 70 (yes it's weird but that's what the road does). Anyway, cops tend to sit where the limit drops and pop people for not slowing down. I will say the adaptive cruise did brake to slow down quite quickly from 75 to 60, but I would have preferred if it adjusted the speed so that I was going the lower limit when I reached the sign, not AFTER. (I had the speed tolerance set for 5 over the posted limit). At the transition from 55 back to 70 the cruise sped up just after the sign which is fine.
How strongly do you have to grip the wheel and/or "resist" the movement so it knows you're holding on without it thinking you are taking over the steering? I've seen videos of tesla drivers, and sometimes they actually "wiggle" the wheel a bit every 20-30 seconds - which seems pretty annoying.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How strongly do you have to grip the wheel and/or "resist" the movement so it knows you're holding on without it thinking you are taking over the steering? I've seen videos of tesla drivers, and sometimes they actually "wiggle" the wheel a bit every 20-30 seconds - which seems pretty annoying.
It's not much. I was holding on to the wheel like normal most of the time. One hand on the side or bottom quarter was enough. It just wants to sense a bit of weight. It was not like I had to pull on it any harder than I normally would while driving if making micro adjustments to maintain the lane.

I wouldn't say I had to wiggle it a lot because I always had a hand on the wheel. There was a couple times (2-3 times in 3 hours of driving) where the car thought I was not holding on and that's because I was not resting the weight of my hand on the side of the wheel, my hand was floating for a bit while I was adjusting my seating position, trying to adjust myself without yanking on the wheel (It's a new car so I'm still trying to find the best seat configuration to save in the memory).

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Resting your hand on the bottom of the wheel is enough to have the Model 3 not bother you the vast majority of the time. It's just enough resistance to trigger it. I rarely have to "wiggle" the wheel. Just as an FYI

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Resting your hand on the bottom of the wheel is enough to have the Model 3 not bother you the vast majority of the time. It's just enough resistance to trigger it. I rarely have to "wiggle" the wheel. Just as an FYI
Thus the reason I've heard some folks hang exercise wrist weights on Tesla steering wheels -- probably right before they slam into a parked semi.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Thus the reason I've heard some folks hang exercise wrist weights on Tesla steering wheels -- probably right before they slam into a parked semi.
Really hard to make the system idiot proof. Same will happen with the Mach-E