grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Don’t shoppers know not to wrap strap around rim spokes but instead around rim and tire. Just saying those in charge of loading ships needs to go back thru training. The way they strapped it down could be a hazard as the straps are pulling left and right instead of forward and backwards to hold it still.
Normally when loading/securing cars on these car carriers they are strapped down using the towing eyes. However, as I understand it, you are unable to 'tow' an electric car so presumably they don't have towing eyes fitted which is why they are strapping the wheels. Just a thought
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Don’t shoppers know not to wrap strap around rim spokes but instead around rim and tire. Just saying those in charge of loading ships needs to go back thru training. The way they strapped it down could be a hazard as the straps are pulling left and right instead of forward and backwards to hold it still.
Pretty sure they strap all 4 corners of the car at an outward angle like that, so it ain't going anywhere. I think those painted steel floors don't have the strongest tire grip to them, and in rough seas and vibration, the car could slide sideways as much as forward/back. So they want all 4 corners to have some angular leverage to them, pulling outward in all directions.

Strapping the tires instead of the frame is probably even (slightly) more secure, as it bypasses any suspension flex.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I know you're kidding but I wonder how long it takes a freighter to get from Mexico to Detroit/Chicago ports... A month?
Depends on if you include the time to unload the ocean going vessel and re-load the Great Lakes vessel. They really don't like allowing ocean going ships on the Great Lakes (see Zebra mussel's for one of many reasons).

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Plot twist - it's a Great Lakes targeted freighter and OH and MI are going to be first! (*)

(*) this is absolutely not true
With our luck that ship would be the Edmund Fitzgerald.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
With our luck that ship would be the Edmund Fitzgerald.
this is way way off topic so I'll write myself a ticket but anyway my GF knew someone that died on the Fitz. To this day she says (1) the famous song doesn't really get it right and (2) it was 100% the captain's fault for being an arrogant ass and going out when everyone else was like "wtf is wrong with you?" She's actually very bitter about it because of the death of the friend.

I now return you to car discussions.
Sponsored