First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 xDrive40i & Mach E FE Carbonized Gray
Country flag
Per The Verge interview with Jim Farley:

That new charger-locator interface will eventually come to the Mustang Mach-E, which is due for a major software update later this year that will refresh the entire interface displayed on the screens in the car. Farley likens it to an iPhone update, saying “the whole UX is going to change.” Farley has set ambitious goals for OTA software updates in the future, part of Farley’s push to rethink cars as “digital vehicles,” but it’s off to a slow start. “We’re still not shipping enough software to the car,” he says. Field, coming off stints from Apple and Tesla, has begun to improve things.​
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
That’s either great news or ….absolutely horrifying to some ……

Since tiny memory devices that hold huge chain amounts of data are available I don’t really understand the need to make this into a handshake live process. A living thing. I’m fine with getting a USB drive and sticking it in somewhere after downloading it myself. I’d rather be in control

OTA only as good as the air it rides on

Jes sayin …

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Per The Verge interview with Jim Farley:

That new charger-locator interface will eventually come to the Mustang Mach-E, which is due for a major software update later this year that will refresh the entire interface displayed on the screens in the car. Farley likens it to an iPhone update, saying “the whole UX is going to change.” Farley has set ambitious goals for OTA software updates in the future, part of Farley’s push to rethink cars as “digital vehicles,” but it’s off to a slow start. “We’re still not shipping enough software to the car,” he says. Field, coming off stints from Apple and Tesla, has begun to improve things.​
Good new, perhaps.

More frequent OTAs for issue fixes: Good! 👍🏻

More frequent OTAs to change layouts/looks like the streaming services love to do: Bad! 👎🏻

How about a launch control or acceleration boost OTA? I’d pay some $ @Ford Motor Company

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’ve forgotten what an OTA is like. And I know I’m one of the lucky ones that at least USED TO get OTAs.

bcaceres

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I am a bit concerned that they are completely revamping the software with Google and anybody running Ford Sync 4 will not be able to update to the new software. By having 2 different operating systems out there then OTA's for anybody running Ford Sync 4 are going to be even more scarce. Every update is going to have to be written twice (assuming they don't just abandon updating the Ford Sync 4 interface in favor of the Android-based "Ford Sync 5" -- or whatever they are going to call it).

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Hopefully they make an easy charge to 100% button so one could do it in car. The spousal unit really is not a fan of phone apps and to get the rig to go to 100% at home it should not be more than 5 button presses.

1. Unlock phone. 2. Find and open Fordpass 3. Accept terms as you never use Fordpass then wait for it to load your vehicles. 4 plug car in, should have done that first. 5 refresh Fordpass until charge info banner comes on bottom. 6 click charge info. 7. Click charge to 100% and hope it take, look at that little line that shows target charge to verify..

How about, click the car on the big screen, click charge to 100% 3. Get out of car. 4. Plug in.

I really do not want her in there screwing with schedules and locations. Just me but ..

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
I don’t like this plan at all. If I wanted a totally new interface, I’d buy a totally new car.

Automatic Updates Off: Check

Nugatti

First Name
Aleksander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The Verge said:
Current Ford vehicles will not be upgradable to the new Android-based Sync — which means these first Lightnings off the line will have Ford’s existing Sync 4 system, while 2023 Lightnings that ship next year will have the new Android-based Sync, a potential silver lining for impatient preorder buyers.
So my guess is 2024 Mach-E will get Android Automotive. Too bad it won't be upgradable for us with MY 21-23.
For the future, look at how OTA's are going quite well for Polestar 2 running Android Automotive; launching with version 9, and via ver. 10 now getting ver. 11.
https://9to5google.com/2022/03/29/p...utomotive-11-its-third-major-android-version/

That being said, the “the whole UX is going to change.” withing the scope of MY21-23 is exiting to me.

Nugatti

First Name
Aleksander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Android Automotive 12 Release details said:
  • Rotary Controller. Front-end AAOS experiences, including system apps such as Dialer, Media, and Settings can now be fully navigated with a Rotary controller that supports four-way nudge, clockwise and counter clockwise rotation, and selection. Additional IME integration is now also available given an OEM-provided, Rotary-focused IME.
I wonder if Ford had this in mind when making our volume knob.

NoEntiendoNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte 1 AWD
Country flag

shelnian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Didn't the article also indicates that vehicles with Sync 4 aren't going to get the Google software update? If so, I hope Ford just doesn't forget the Sync 4 customers...

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I am a bit concerned that they are completely revamping the software with Google and anybody running Ford Sync 4 will not be able to update to the new software.
It’s an understandable concern but Sync 4 wont be orphaned.

Sync 4/4a is on the Mach-E, Lightning, Bronco, and ICE F-150s. Literally millions of Ford vehicles will have Sync 4 by the time Android Automotive arrives and Sync 4 will continue to require software development resources for the next decade or more.

Romano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I'm excited for the UI refresh and hoping that performance will improve with it. The UI is OK-ish to me, but looks a bit outdated in places, if you ask me. A more modern UI design language would be nice and easier navigation for some elements (HVAC, heated seats, charge limit control).

Bring it on! Although I realize that there's plenty of folks that like the UI as is and are not waiting for OTA to mess with that.

Also hoping that Android Automotive can ve retrofitted with a hardware upgrade, though I'm not very hopeful this will happen.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Anyone think PaaK will work BETTER after they get done plotzing around? Again.
Sponsored