Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Your record of MSRP is on your sales contract. The window sticker is not the governing document.
How would the dealer change the window sticker by the sales contract ?
How would the IRS know what was the price before D&D ?
Sponsored

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
The sales contract doesn't break down base price vs destination. It just gives one number.
How would the dealer change the window sticker by the sales contract ?
How would the IRS know what was the price before D&D ?
My mistake. The sales contract does not break down MSRP and destination fee. In any case, I’m sure the window sticker is not a document recognized by the IRS. It appears that MSRP data is held and reported by the manufacturer.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
So much confusion and misinformation.

The IRS knows the MSRP for each trim line. You put in your VIN, and they can tie that to the MSRP, less destination.

Anyone getting a 2023 that was a 2022, with a promised PCO, that now is getting a price reduction, and thinks they are double dipping, will be surprised to find out they are not.

njb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red 2023 GT
Country flag
I bought my GTPE about a week ago, it’s the people like me who didn’t qualify for the tax credit who would have been truly SOL, and luckily Ford is refunding the difference. Unlike another American automaker that starts with a T.

Anyways, you really are coming out farther ahead than anyone who purchased after 1/1/23 because your tax credit ($7500) is a lot more than any of these price decreases. If you want to trade situations and send me (at absolute minimum) a $600 check I’ll give you my Zelle right now.
Sorry, I'm keeping my money ;) There was no way I'd qualify for any gov't rebate this year either but I should get the 7500 for purchasing last year and I got Z plan pricing plus I'm hoping for 4k more from Illinois. It doesn't look too promising at this point as I think that they might run out of $$ before they get to my application but it still might happen. And even though phantom door alarms wake me up in the middle of the night I really enjoy driving the car so I can't complain. :)

I'm glad that the price is dropping for you. I think that it was the right thing to do.

smcnair

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Platty, Explorer Platty, '23 Premium
Country flag
Hopefully they redo window stickers. MSRP is based off sticker for tax credit purposes, not price paid.
Your record of MSRP is on your sales contract. The window sticker is not the governing document.
It is based off the MSRP listed on the window sticker. Sales price has nothing to do with it.

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
It is based off the MSRP listed on the window sticker. Sales price has nothing to do with it.
I agree. I misspoke about the sales contract. The point I was trying to make is the MSRP data is held and reported to the IRS by Ford. The window sticker is informational and the IRS isn’t going to look at it.

yangneu2015

First Name
Yang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2023
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Did ford reveal how they are going to refund the customers bought mach e after 1/1/2023? Should we contact dealer or just wait for a check?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
My guess is that it done via VIN. I had to supply my VIN for my 2022 (pre-IRA) tax rebate, so I suspect that Ford provides the IRS a way to check on the MSRP via the VIN. So that way they could retroactively allow their (newly qualifying) customers to get the tax credit. At least I hope that's the case for those that have already purchased 2023's before the price drop. (I have to imagine there has been some mad scrambling between Ford and the IRS in recent weeks!)
I don’t think so.

The way they “used to do things” won’t really apply. There was no need to check MSRP based on VIN because there was no MSRP requirement.

I doubt they would have taken the extra step to create a system to search MSRP based on VIN and store that info since the info was irrelevant.

VIN likely just is used to make sure someone can’t apply for a credit that has already been claimed (one per vehicle).

How will they check to see if your MSRP is low enough when you put a credit on your taxes?

The same way they check for everything: Audits.

Johnnyweekend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Country flag
I agree. I misspoke about the sales contract. The point I was trying to make is the MSRP data is held and reported to the IRS by Ford. The window sticker is informational and the IRS isn’t going to look at it.
Do you have some proof that VIN data contains MSRP? I have never seen it. VIN data hardly contains the basics of your trim. I don't think it even contains the color.

Johnnyweekend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Country flag
I don’t think so.

The way they “used to do things” won’t really apply. There was no need to check MSRP based on VIN because there was no MSRP requirement.

I doubt they would have taken the extra step to create a system to search MSRP based on VIN and store that info since the info was irrelevant.

VIN likely just is used to make sure someone can’t apply for a credit that has already been claimed (one per vehicle).

How will they check to see if your MSRP is low enough when you put a credit on your taxes?

The same way they check for everything: Audits.
I agree. I think audits is how they check. VIN is just for record keeping to make sure no double dip.

dmac1418

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E '23 Premium SR RWD
Country flag
When I picked up 2 weeks ago there was a Ford form the dealer completed for IRS reporting. They had to fill in the MSRP.

athomas43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Did ford reveal how they are going to refund the customers bought mach e after 1/1/2023? Should we contact dealer or just wait for a check?
Didn’t explain it, I’m also very curious as to how they’ll treat this. Maybe they’ll just cut straight off our loan.

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
Did I miss something? Isn’t the 2023 Mach-E only allowed to use half of the $7500, given its battery construction failing to meet its tax criteria?

Johnnyweekend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Country flag
Did I miss something? Isn’t the 2023 Mach-E only allowed to use half of the $7500, given its battery construction failing to meet its tax criteria?
You did miss the memo that IRS isn't enforcing the battery requirement unit March because they can't get the requirement out.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
You did miss the memo that IRS isn't enforcing the battery requirement unit March because they can't get the requirement out.
Another reason why I need to get my 10 month order delivered.

If it does not arrive before the IRS rules on the battery in March - I will walk.

After 4 times delivery slipped from first week January to mid February.

@Ford Motor Company - why is it stuck in transit after being built in December ???
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E's purchased after 1/1/23 will get the new reduced pricing (per Ford's Mike Levine) Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 5.33.42 PM
Sponsored