Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
My least favorite part of the MME was the rear when it debuted, but seeing it next to the MY makes it looks great. I actually really like it now...except for the wiper, it could have been anchored at the top of the window to make it stealth.

Also, when I test drove the MY it looked as if the rear hatch hinge position prevents full usage of the stated available cargo volume. So I will check out the same detail when I see an MME for myself.

Last edited:

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Y baby got back. I like athletic look so the smaller back on the Mach-E is nicer in my option.

Just noticed that Y doesn't have a back wiper but Mach-E does. Like the cleaner look without but prob need it due to the angle of the back.

OP
OP
Maric

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Y baby got back. I like athletic look so the smaller back on the Mach-E is nicer in my option.

Just noticed that Y doesn't have a back wiper but Mach-E does. Like the cleaner look without but prob need it due to the angle of the back.
I was really impressed with the Y I drove. Has incredible cargo space and was a rocket. But have to say, the MachE rear looks much nicer imo. Nice to see them both side by side.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I was really impressed with the Y I drove. Has incredible cargo space and was a rocket. But have to say, the MachE rear looks much nicer imo. Nice to see them both side by side.
+1 on the Y's cargo space and the Performance Y's acceleration. In fact, that's why I want to order a GT instead of going thru with my Premium reservation.

Personally, I think the Y's backend is the nicest of any Tesla but dayum, if the Mach-E doesn't look good driving away from you.

OP
OP
Maric

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
+1 on the Y's cargo space and the Performance Y's acceleration. In fact, that's why I want to order a GT instead of going thru with my Premium reservation.

Personally, I think the Y's backend is the nicest of any Tesla but dayum, if the Mach-E doesn't look good driving away from you.
I drove the AWD LR Y and was impressed at the 4.8 second 0-60. I can’t imagine the physics of the Performance model!

I don’t dislike the Y backend (Had one on order until the MachE). Overall I think the Y is a great looking car. I definitely prefer the rear of the MachE though.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
My least favorite part of the MME was the rear when it debuted, but seeing it next to the MY makes it looks great. I actually really like it now...except for the wiper, it could have been anchored at the top of the window to make it stealth.

Also, when I test drove the MY it looked as if the rear hatch hinge position prevents full usage of the stated available cargo volume. So I will check out the same detail when I see an MME for myself.
Agree on the rear wiper...details...

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Doesn't look like it will be a problem on the Mach E. the lift back is mounted high:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/trunk-boot-dimensions-for-dog-crate.748/

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
My take on this photo being a Model Y Performance owner and possible future Mach-e GT owner. I've seen the E at the Portland auto show but was not able to sit in it. The Y in this pic is the AWD, not the Performance model. (You can tell the Performance model by the red line under the badge at the right rear of the car.)

The looks of the E definitely are more evocative of a muscle car than the Y, especially the nose and the rear. IMHO the skinny tires on the E take away from that image, I personally would only consider the GT. The 255s on this Y are a bad enough comparison, the 275s on the Performance Y even more so. That said, I'll be giving up my 275s for 245s because I need to drive off road. Sigh. Sometimes utility outweighs looks and handling. :(

Charging on the E is more convenient while on the road due to the charge port being in front. No need to back in like the Y usually has to do. (Unless there is a very long cable at the charger. Not usually the case in my experience.) The reverse is true at home if your garage is not extra wide. At home it's easier to get out of the car, step back to plug in the car, and walk forward into the house. With the E in my garage I'd have to kind of shimmy by the front port. If I could change the placement of my wall charger that would help, but I can't. Anyways, something to think about when you install a charger for whatever EV you get.

I have not noticed once that I might need a rear wiper on the Y. It just isn't required even a little bit. That said, the angle of the rear window is very different on the E, so it might need one.

I've posted before that in my opinion the E is not really a direct competitor to the Y, rather I think it fills a spot between the 3 and the Y. This picture tends to verify that position IMHO. The E is sportier looking but gives up some utility to achieve that. This is neither good nor bad, it just matters what you need/want in a car. The E looks to have much better cargo space and access than the 3, but not as much as the Y. The Y is clearly taller in the back, which leaves more room for say large dogs behind the seat. The lower hatch access in the Y makes loading and unloading easier and allows for a great place to sit and drink beer after surfing, kiteboarding, shooting, etc. Almost as good as a truck tailgate. The negative is that the Y looks less like a muscle car in the back and more like an SUV. It's all give and take.

I don't have dogs, I think if I did I would not be interested in the E. The space behind the rear seats just looks to low. But I don't so the E is an option. I need to see if my kiteboarding gear will fit in back and if I can add a platform so I can sit back there. I want to see what the GT is capable of. I need to see if aftermarket support pops up for the E like it did for the Y. Neither car has enough ground clearance for me stock, so I'm lifting the Y 1.75". Will a lift kit be available for the GT? Probably, but I'll need to see that. TBH, if I didn't need the space and the lift I'd get the Performance 3. over the Y or the E. The Y is blindingly fast, the 3 is VIOLENTLY fast. My Performance Y just does not snap your neck back like the 3. I like "Track" mode on the 3. BUT, I need the utility of the Y, so no 3. (My wife has a 3, but I couldn't talk her into the performance version.)

Now, if the E GT has the utility I need, and ends up faster than the Y, well now you're talking. I think the GT has some untapped potential. The GT will have a much larger battery than the Y. That means the maximum current output on the E will be higher than the Y battery. THAT means the Mach-e GT has the potential to be very, very fast. I'm really wondering if we aren't talking well down into the 2s eventually...

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
Thanks @Nak , appreciate your thoughtful post. Great comparison.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
From the Iconic Silver thread...I am surprised how much larger the Ford looks from the front. The rear shot made me think the MME is smaller than the MY all around. I am glad Ford went for looks versus trying to achieve the lowest Cd possible. The MME rear looks even better than the Y's in this different angle and color (second photo).

Since I rarely used the wiper on my Mazda3 with a similar slope I will remove the rear wiper and make due with Rain-X when I get my MME. Besides looks, that should get me +0.1 mpge?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maric

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
More sightings. Click to see more.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I know the first is supposedly from a Y owner, but two coincidences seems unlikely. I wonder if Ford is putting the Mach E through its paces side-by-side with some Y's? I know they started development by studying and tearing apart some model 3's

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Since I rarely used the wiper on my Mazda3 with a similar slope I will remove the rear wiper and make due with Rain-X when I get my MME. Besides looks, that should get me +0.1 mpge?
It's not really the rain drops that requires a rear wiper. Like you point out, a good coating--ceramic coatings work WAY better than Rain-X--works for the rain drops. What the issue tends to be is how much road grime is deposited on the rear window. Aerodynamics are what matters for that. No road grime is deposited on the Y rear window, so no wiper is needed. I would guess--and this is just a guess-that road grime is deposited on the Mach-e rear window due to the short rear end and the roof spoiler. My thinking is that Ford engineers wouldn't have included the wiper if it wasn't required. The only way to know for sure is to drive one in the rain.
Sponsored