Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
The GOM [in] the MachE is just bad,
It's an unpopular position, for sure, but I don't find the GOM to be all that terrible. Perhaps it's all in the interpretation. If I can make my destination with ~50 miles of GOM indicated range remaining I have very little stress about it. I do the math (in my head) fairly frequently, especially during longer drives, and have found the GOM to be pretty consistent and close enough to be useful. There's rarely much deviation between the GOM range, my BOTEC range, and the actual final results. Not accurate enough for a moon mission, perhaps, but good enough to plan around, with sufficient leeway in the estimates.

That said, I'm really interested in the locking charging cap. I saw some teenagers roaming around the other day with some fiber optic cable- I'm sure they were looking for an EV to siphon electrons from.
Sponsored

Gram-e

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Select Mach-e
Country flag
You must be new here...
Okay, so the battery feels the ambient cold and won't charge to the same amount as in summer....what if my garage felt like summer (warm up the garage). Would the range drop as soon as it went out into the cold?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Okay, so the battery feels the ambient cold and won't charge to the same amount as in summer....what if my garage felt like summer (warm up the garage). Would the range drop as soon as it went out into the cold?
Yes. With minutes. Winter is winter.

But your understanding is incorrect. Battery charges the same. What changes is how far a unit of energy, a kWh, taked you. Same as a gas car. You put in a gallon. In winter, with winter gas and cold temps, it takes you less distance.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
My garage is very warm but the car uses driving history and knows what it experienced when driving in the cold yesterday. It has been reported that the car knows the weather as well, but I am not sure it is that sophisticated. I think it is all driving history and ambient temperature.

A few days ago:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mache-E Range Dropped All of a Sudden Screenshot_20221130-070214_FordPass

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
The Guess-O-Meter takes into account a variety of factors to determine what the predicted range will be. Ambient temperature is one of those. But having a warm garage by itself won’t be enough to jigger the numbers significantly.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
The Guess-O-Meter takes into account a variety of factors to determine what the predicted range will be. Ambient temperature is one of those. But having a warm garage by itself won’t be enough to jigger the numbers significantly.
I guess the only nuance here is that if you don't precondition you'll have slightly better results from a warm garage than from a cold one. Probably makes a noticeable, though not astounding, difference.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Anyone know if the MME got an OTA update that makes the GOM less conservative ?

My Lightning got it at OTA 3.5.5 called Distance to Empty improvement:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mache-E Range Dropped All of a Sudden Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 6.53.57 AM

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I guess the only nuance here is that if you don't precondition you'll have slightly better results from a warm garage than from a cold one. Probably makes a noticeable, though not astounding, difference.
If you start in a warm garage, your battery is warm and the car only needs to maintain the temperature. If you set the cruise for 80, like I do, and drive that way the current pulled from the battery has a natural warming effect and I have seen zero temperature impact on range. Zero. Except if you use E-Heat. If you turn off climate control you will get the same efficiency at 35 F as you get in the summer. At least that is what I have seen.

So in short, it can make a huge difference.

Sunlessinseattle

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Order mach e, 2022, gt
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
The Kia, too, has heat pump. I like being in a cozy car, but when my husband likened the heater to running a hair dryer, the idea of that electricity consumption has me more willing to err on the side of cooler, except when I know I will have opportunity to charge to make up for the use. Getting down to 25% last night meant a chilly drive until we were five miles from home!

Sunlessinseattle

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Order mach e, 2022, gt
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Once you start driving you'll find the guessometer doesn't go down much. I focus on mi/kw estimate and go by how much battery % i have remaining. Battery percentage (0.80) x battery size (92kw) x mi/kw = more accurate range estimate if you know your conditions along the route. Obviously heading up Steven's Pass will blow up your mi/kw if you've been driving on the mostly flat I5 all day.
Good recommendation. How has going to Stevens been? What drive mode do you use, are you able to get there and back without charging? Does regen on the way down recoup some of the losses? How does the car handle the snow/ice (a neighbor just inquired about that this morning)? Thanks!

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
I haven't been to Steven's yet, but I've driven 190mi to Lake Tahoe, which is a 7500 elevation climb from sea level, and with CR1 wheels and have 24% remaining. Snow traction with the CR1 tires isn't great, but good enough. One the ER battery, you should be able to get back to SEA without a charge since it's only 150mi R/T. Going up the mountain in nasty cold the computer is showing 2.7mi/kw, on the way down I get 6-8mi/kw. The old GT wheels and tires weren't anywhere close to that good.
Sponsored