MachE Owners... what are the must have accessories?

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
Funny, I just ordered these today:
Ford Mustang Mach-E MachE Owners... what are the must have accessories? 46AD033A-CBD7-45F8-A435-6BE902E33425

Ford Mustang Mach-E MachE Owners... what are the must have accessories? 0C3BFE63-6DC7-4BC3-BC3E-97C503F61C41

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Heh, I was going to order a Tee or two whenever construction begins on my car To be.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
The 50A adapter would probably be OK if you were on a 48A wallbox with a 60A breaker. The problem is, you could very well be on an 80A Tesla Destination Charger. That means if something goes wrong your 50 amp adapter is going to have a very bad day.
Doesn’t work that way. The vehicle is limited to 48A. If your car pulls more than 50A, the adapter will be the least of your worries.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I see - so by this logic, the 80A adapter is really the only way to safely avoid this?
Per Tesla Tap, yes. Here's what they told me when I asked the same question in January.

"Normal rule of thumb is that you never want to use at max rating for an extended time.
If you are going to draw 50 AMPS continuous you should go to the 80 amp version."

So there you go.

CarsIMBwife

First Name
Rosie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired Data Analyst
Country flag
Cargo net

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I see - so by this logic, the 80A adapter is really the only way to safely avoid this?
no, they have a minitap rated for 60A. The reason the circuit has to be rated for 25% higher is because the current draw is longer than 3 hours - causing more heat than normal to build up. Using thicker wire causes it to heat up less

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Doesn’t work that way. The vehicle is limited to 48A. If your car pulls more than 50A, the adapter will be the least of your worries.
The issue is a sustained draw of 48A will overheat the wiring. It's exactly the same reason the circuit breaker and wiring for the charger need to be rated for 25% higher amperage. The adapter isn't magically immune to heat - unless the manufacturer has already used oversize wiring - which I very highly doubt the sellers on amazon do

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
For the Tesla Tap, I would do some research before buying to see if it really would be of any use to you. Generally speaking, you won't do much L2 charging away from home, and even if you do, I was recently surprised to find out that the J1772 chargers are much more common than Tesla destination chargers in my area and the same may be true for you too.

You can use the PlugShare app/website to check out how common either type of plug is in your area, but again, unless your workplace or vacation home or something already has a Tesla destination charger that you know you will be using regularly, I'm not sure it is something to buy preemptively before taking delivery of your Mach-E.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
For the Tesla Tap, I would do some research before buying to see if it really would be of any use to you. Generally speaking, you won't do much L2 charging away from home, and even if you do, I was recently surprised to find out that the J1772 chargers are much more common than Tesla destination chargers in my area and the same may be true for you too.

You can use the PlugShare app/website to check out how common either type of plug is in your area, but again, unless your workplace or vacation home or something already has a Tesla destination charger that you know you will be using regularly, I'm not sure it is something to buy preemptively before taking delivery of your Mach-E.
I have a Gen 2 HPWC on a 60A breaker and intend on the 80A Tesla Tap as my daily charging option. It'll offer maximum versatility when traveling since there are some random places that only have Tesla destination chargers. Salmon, ID is a good example.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
There are several 40A cables on Amazon.com. Search for J1772 extension cable.
Have to keep in mind, not everyone understands electricity or the results of pulling 100+ AMPs over a 30-45 minute time line. I would 100% not recommend buying an extension cable unless you really know what you are looking for. Even then, I still would not recommend using them, just looking for trouble.

I love the accessories market on cars, sadly I don't see a lot for the MME yet... Me personally, below are the things I've bought, or going to get:

Sun Roof Cover (although tbh the factory glass is amazing in SoCal Sun)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098RQWDBG/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_Y2PR2FVFGNQ4XHNGHXZV

Pulsar Plus Level 2 Electric Vehicle Smart Charger - 40 Amp (once we move)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H2LYFHX/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_B07A9TRV4QWVEVYKVWN6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

GYEON Quartz LeatherShield (Leather Shield)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N57S9O6/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_ZCAB8P906S4Y0D7532VF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Dr. Beasley's Plastic Conditioner (Dashboard)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBN7M4U/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_XMY6MSG0GGW1GE0K3K8G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

TANGSEN Smart Key Fob Case Cover (Bit bulky and heavy)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083R38WVY/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_JYWYV291B3RA7CJWCHZF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

WeatherTech Windshield Cover (Its meh, it works REALLY well, but such a pain in the butt to use)
https://www.weathertech.com/ford/2021/mustang-mach-e/sunshade/

Large Dog Bed (Dunno if its a must have, but this one fits really well in the back, made a post about it earlier)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088GQGZFP/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_4C07B1DNEPE9WJQJS6H3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also used the 303 Leather Conditioner and 303 Leather Cleaner, seems to work pretty well. I was able to clearly see where I missed the back of the headrests when I was sitting with my dog in the back today lol

Last edited:

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
An ELM327 bluetooth adapter to display charging speed in kW and energy stored in the battery (kWh) on a smartphone, using Car Scanner ElmObd2 app or similar.

MME doesn't show the charging speed on the tacho or centre console (a big omission imho).

Snowrider69

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition
Country flag
Hi MachE Forum! Needless to say I'm beyond enthused to be getting my MachE in 3ish months (production week of 10/18) while I wait is there anything you'd recommend looking into purchasing to make the experience all the better? I'll start off below with some tips I've found by watching YouTubers:

1. Tesla to J1772 while this wont work with superchargers your area might have a lot of tesla high powered connectors or destination chargers in which case this may be useful!
2. Camping Mattress for those who want to be able to camp in their car I saw this and it looks pretty neat - especially with the moonroof!

That's all I got! I've seen wraps and some things on Etsy but if there is anything that is functional that's made your lives easier post them below!
How quickly threads go down a rabbit hole.

I recommend the rubber car mats and rubber cargo mat.
Sponsored