MagneRide feedback?

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
With orders opening next week, I need to make some decisions. One of those is whether I would like magneride or not. I have never been in a car that has it. I do not plan to track race my car. I currently have a premium and mostly like the way it rides and drives. On certain highways it can get a little rocking front to back but that is rare.

does magneride give you a nicer ride for normal driving like decrease the severity of bumps? I know it keeps you flatter in hard turns. What other benefits are there?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
Do you think you get a better ride on normal roads than without it? I read it still stiffens the out wheels on a turn even when you have it in soft ride.

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Do you think you get a better ride on normal roads than without it? I read it still stiffens the out wheels on a turn even when you have it in soft ride.
That's not magneride itself, that would be a possible software...thing. Depends how it's configured, but the new generations of magneride are able to be adjusted ridiculously quickly/"intelligently" by software.

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I’m a little confused about magneride as well. I chose the MME because the ride quality was tons better than a Model Y, but I also wish that it were smoother and more luxurious still. Last thing I want is to feel more of the Dallas potholes as I drive around. Will the Magneride help improve ride so it’s less bouncy in standard city driving? Or alternatively, is it really about stiffening the suspension for speed/handling?

Also, is that standard with the GT? Or standard with the GTP? Ordering a MME GT for my better half next week and hoping that it would improve ride quality and not drive the price a lot higher. Don’t want a GTP as that seems excessive and too much of a range trade-off.

Brofessional

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GR86, 12 Accord, 18 Yukon, 21 Mach E GT
Country flag
With orders opening next week, I need to make some decisions. One of those is whether I would like magneride or not. I have never been in a car that has it. I do not plan to track race my car. I currently have a premium and mostly like the way it rides and drives. On certain highways it can get a little rocking front to back but that is rare.

does magneride give you a nicer ride for normal driving like decrease the severity of bumps? I know it keeps you flatter in hard turns. What other benefits are there?
It’s basically like magic. Seriously.
The problem with any suspension system is that making the ride better in one area will present compromises in another, and often in ways that aren’t intuitive. For example “soft” suspension can result in squat, dive, bounce, etc. that can feel absolutely terrible behind the wheel despite being more accommodating.
The adjustable dampers others are referring to here don’t solve this. They just makes those trade offs possible minute to minute.
To truly eliminate some of those compromises you need a suspension that can adjust almost instantly to whatever condition is being presented, and that’s what magneride does. I haven’t experienced mclaren’s hydraulic system, but I nothing I’ve ridden in comes close to what magneride is capable of from a ride quality standpoint.

mwsno

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Country flag
What's the longevity compared to normal suspension?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Yes.

I would recommend test driving any magneride vehicle to judge for yourself.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I am very curious if there might be an option to purchase the Magneride suspension system and have it put in on my First Edition. This seems like it could help to address the issues that I have been complaining about with the bouncy/rough ride. Heck, I don't even care if I have to drop another few thousand dollars on it.

Last edited:

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
I am very curious if there might be an option to purchase the Magneride suspension system and have it put in on my First Edition. This seems like it could help to address the issues that I have been complaining about with the bouncy/rough ride. Heck, I don't even care if I have to drop another few thousand dollars on it.
I'd be interested too.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I'd be interested too.
Magneride cannot be retrofitted, as there are too many systems that would need to be physically, electronically, or virtually (i.e. software/firmware) changed in a car that was not so equipped as-built. Of course, anything is possible. As we used to say: "How fast will your wallet go?" You would likely spend WAY more money in trying to engineer and implement a retrofit than you would in the difference in buying the model you chose and buying a GT-PE. I'm going to guess that between the hardware and software, you're probably going to have to spend over $15K to do such a retrofit.
Sponsored