Magneride harshness/comfort- not racing-but regular street driving?

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
Can someone with a MME GT PE confirm that my understanding is correct about the Magneride suspension/driving mode controls:

Whisper mode, least power to the drive train, easy steering and at least as comfortable/smooth if not more comfortable to ride in as a MME non GT on normal street driving.​
Engage mode, normal driving to the drive train and a bit stiffer steering and suspension, but still compliant and comfortable for street driving.​
Unbridled mode, highest performance driving to the drive train, stiffer than engage on the steering and suspension. Great for drag racing and spirited driving on curvy roads.​
Unbridled extended, optimized for autocross track driving, throttled back peak power, and super stiff suspension track mode.​

I still have not found a very clear definitive answer. Most all threads talk about driving the car hard- and while that is understandable...but how about when it is driven calmly/in traffic/not racing it. Both in town and on highways.

Looking for a clear answer about just driving it when it is just being a commuter car and if my understanding of the driving modes is correct on the PE with Magneride.

Thank you!
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Can someone with a MME GT PE confirm that my understanding is correct about the Magneride suspension/driving mode controls:

Whisper mode, least power to the drive train, easy steering and at least as comfortable/smooth if not more comfortable to ride in as a MME non GT on normal street driving.​
Engage mode, normal driving to the drive train and a bit stiffer steering and suspension, but still compliant and comfortable for street driving.​
Unbridled mode, highest performance driving to the drive train, stiffer than engage on the steering and suspension. Great for drag racing and spirited driving on curvy roads.​
Unbridled extended, optimized for autocross track driving, throttled back peak power, and super stiff suspension track mode.​

I still have not found a very clear definitive answer. Most all threads talk about driving the car hard- and while that is understandable...but how about when it is driven calmly/in traffic/not racing it. Both in town and on highways.

Looking for a clear answer about just driving it when it is just being a commuter car and if my understanding of the driving modes is correct on the PE with Magneride.

Thank you!
Unless they changed it for the GT and GTPE, the drive modes don't change how much power goes to the drivetrain. It just changes the accelerator pedal mapping. Flooring it in any drive mode, will give you full power. The only exception is with the unbridled extend mode. That limits the max power delivered to give you longer performance, and more consistent results.

On the GTPE, based on the review videos, the drive modes do in fact change the magnaride settings. But, they also adjust based on how you are driving as well. Even in whisper, if you start driving it hard, it is supposed to stiffen up based on that driving, and loosen up with normal driving.

OP
OP
Larry Paul

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unless they changed it for the GT and GTPE, the drive modes don't change how much power goes to the drivetrain. It just changes the accelerator pedal mapping. Flooring it in any drive mode, will give you full power. The only exception is with the unbridled extend mode. That limits the max power delivered to give you longer performance, and more consistent results.

On the GTPE, based on the review videos, the drive modes do in fact change the magnaride settings. But, they also adjust based on how you are driving as well. Even in whisper, if you start driving it hard, it is supposed to stiffen up based on that driving, and loosen up with normal driving.
Thank you. It makes sense if it is just a mapping of the accelerator for the power mode and I doubt that would have changed if that is the case, but I understand the steering does change between the modes and some people have complained about stiffness about the GT PE, and prefer the more compliant suspension of the GT (non PE) but others don't...so I am trying to confirm if the suspension actually changes (my primary question).

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag

On our non GTs, do the modes just change 1 pedal regen aggressiveness then? Does it tighten steering at least too? Or do I just pick whichever mode I like 1 pedal in the most?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I don’t have my car yet or I would check.

But usually the owners manual will give detailed descriptions of what each drive mode does.

OP
OP
Larry Paul

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is nothing mention in the manual about MagneRide other than it has a fuse.

page 285:
Fuse location 16
15 A Active suspension (GT).

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
There is nothing mention in the manual about MagneRide other than it has a fuse.
It would likely be listed under the drive modes (whisper, engage etc). I know on my SS that’s where it’s explained what each mode does.

For my SS, different modes affect steering, suspension, throttle mapping, traction control, stability control, shift points etc. It gets kinda complicated with so many setting options.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag

Thank you!
I use my GTPE as a commuter vehicle and for doing local errands where I am basically in driving miss daisy mode. I opted for the GTPE purely for the magneride and there is a difference in the stiffness between the modes but the vehicle is never that stiff and I find it very comfortable in whisper mode during my commute on the beaten up concrete rubble that is classed as a freeway.

Naturally it all depends on your benchmarks of what you are used to, but this vehicle is not super stiff at all in comparison the focus RS that my GTPE replaced had woeful suspension, even by sports standards and whoever signed off on that was an idiot, My focus ST naturally rides softer than the RS and was far better setup out the box and in whisper mode the GTPE rides smoother.

If you are looking for a giant bouncy floaty sofa on wheels it won't be that but you won't be having your fillings shaken out over the bumps either.

OP
OP
Larry Paul

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I use my GTPE as a commuter vehicle and for doing local errands where I am basically in driving miss daisy mode. I opted for the GTPE purely for the magneride and there is a difference in the stiffness between the modes but the vehicle is never that stiff and I find it very comfortable in whisper mode during my commute on the beaten up concrete rubble that is classed as a freeway.

Naturally it all depends on your benchmarks of what you are used to, but this vehicle is not super stiff at all in comparison the focus RS that my GTPE replaced had woeful suspension, even by sports standards and whoever signed off on that was an idiot, My focus ST naturally rides softer than the RS and was far better setup out the box and in whisper mode the GTPE rides smoother.

If you are looking for a giant bouncy floaty sofa on wheels it won't be that but you won't be having your fillings shaken out over the bumps either.
Thank you for quickly and directly answering the question.

This does confirm that there is a difference in the suspension between the different driving modes (As I suspected was the case), but oddly not documented in the manual or other writings.

I think I am looking for exactly what you described...(not a bouncy sofa...or a filling removal ride experience either). I would like it to be stiff for spirited driving when you want it...but comfortable for normal driving on roads that are in less than optimal condition.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
I had Mag Ride on my C6 and when one was simply driving down the road, the ride was very soft. It was supposed to be. But, when you threw it into tight turns, the suspension became more and more aggressive. BUT... it also retained the ability to be super sensitive to changing road surfaces such that I could not easily break traction.

I had a conversation with a GM/Corvette engineer about this -- the problem for the yahoo-vette set was they wanted that gosh dang stiff suspension or they felt cheated. So GM put in a "sport button" that jacked the feel up for gosh-dang real vette kinda drivers, defeating the purpose of the whole suspension. In "sport" mode I could easily break traction even get my rear airborne. System... defeated. But, gosh-dang...

And yes, engineering complained to management about this... who didn't care.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Curious to also hear from those who have driven both the non-GT (e.g. AWD premium) and the GT-PE versions how the suspension/ride compare for basic commuting (say a combo of city streets and highways). Hope this doesn't hijack the thread, happy to start a new one with that question, but it seems to fit the title of the thread.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Curious to also hear from those who have driven both the non-GT (e.g. AWD premium) and the GT-PE versions how the suspension/ride compare for basic commuting (say a combo of city streets and highways). Hope this doesn't hijack the thread, happy to start a new one with that question, but it seems to fit the title of the thread.
Try this

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Funny that you mention that. I did watch it the other day and what struck me as strange is that I also watched his review of the non GT. He seemed to love it and I don't recall him badmouthing the suspension (or anything else) in that review the way he did in the GT one. Did anyone else notice that?

OP
OP
Larry Paul

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Funny that you mention that. I did watch it the other day and what struck me as strange is that I also watched his review of the non GT. He seemed to love it and I don't recall him badmouthing the suspension (or anything else) in that review the way he did in the GT one. Did anyone else notice that?
Yes, and I have also watched this video. Her reaction was less than enthusiastic about the MME GT PE suspension for regular roads.

This is why I want to hear from actual drivers, not just reviewers who jump in/out of a car.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
The one other thing that went through my mind about owning Magneride was how expensive would it be to one day to have to service it?
Sponsored