Main, large screen reboot while driving?

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
My search-fu isn't doing the job tonight, so I apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseam I guess I just couldn't find the right terms.

On our road trip, after about five hours on the road, the main, large screen just randomly rebooted. We were listening to our audiobook. It cut off, the screen went blank, stayed blank for a few (tens of?) seconds, then the Ford logo came back and the screen rebooted. About a minute after it had shut down, the audiobook came back on as if nothing had happened. This was while driving on the highway. Nobody was messing with any controls. It didn't impact the driving at all (we were in Blue Cruise). I cannot remember if the almost-HUD behind the wheel was also rebooted.

Has anyone experienced this before?
Sponsored

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yeah I've had that happen once or twice. Just the center display, not the instrument cluster.

I've also had once or twice where I needed to force the center screen to restart because it was acting weird or frozen or whatever. For that, hold the steering wheel buttons for next track and volume down for at least three seconds.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
My search-fu isn't doing the job tonight, so I apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseam I guess I just couldn't find the right terms.

On our road trip, after about five hours on the road, the main, large screen just randomly rebooted. We were listening to our audiobook. It cut off, the screen went blank, stayed blank for a few (tens of?) seconds, then the Ford logo came back and the screen rebooted. About a minute after it had shut down, the audiobook came back on as if nothing had happened. This was while driving on the highway. Nobody was messing with any controls. It didn't impact the driving at all (we were in Blue Cruise). I cannot remember if the almost-HUD behind the wheel was also rebooted.

Has anyone experienced this before?
Hi there! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into these screen concerns for you on my end. Thanks!

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
The CES from Ford called and they think this may be related to the 6-month expiration of BlueCruise maps (https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/3-14-22-bluecruise-recall.15498/post-370875). Apparently the OTA notice I received did not fully update the maps.

I guess it's time to spin up FDRS to do this update.

There are no service technicians within 90 minutes of us. Driving to the dealer is an all-day ordeal.

SidFisk

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
My Mach-E did the same thing just this morning on my commute.

I was using Android Auto to nav as well as listening to Audible. Rebooted in the middle of the drive.

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
Have you checked if you received an OTA when you were driving. I know that the APIM update causes the central screen to reboot when updated.

SidFisk

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
I've only had the car for several days...so not sure how/where to check when an OTA might have arrived.

Late last week I got an update specific to BlueCruise maps that I saw in the Ford Pass message center. I don't see any new message as of today.

Thank you!

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I've only had the car for several days...so not sure how/where to check when an OTA might have arrived.

Late last week I got an update specific to BlueCruise maps that I saw in the Ford Pass message center. I don't see any new message as of today.

Thank you!
It sounds like your OTA update did not fully update the maps. I think you can find the most recent update somewhere in the vehicle's screen under Settings, but they have several likely spots and I always have to be in the vehicle for me to find it.

That's a very similar thing that happened to me. I received the BlueCruise maps update OTA on 1 March. We went for a trip that involved Ford's navigation a week or so later. During that trip we were listening to an audiobook from one of our phones (I think it was an iPhone), and the screen rebooted while we were driving.

Because one-time issues are difficult to debug, we noted it but basically ignored it. My partner then went on another trip a week after that. The trip involved a similar set of conditions and the screen rebooted again.

The Ford representative (@Ford Motor Company) here connected me to a Ford employee who has access to my vehicle's program history. They discovered that the Blue Cruise Maps update did not fully update on that 1 March OTA update. I needed to have it updated by the dealer.

However, since I would have to take a full day off of work to visit the dealer, I did the update myself (using diagnostic and programming hardware and a $50, 2-day subscription to Ford's software). We haven't seen a recurrence of the issue.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag

ricksta6

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Select Rapid Red
Country flag
This just happened to me not 5 mins after I left my house. Screen rebooted. Only thing I had running was Sirius XM.

No update notifications thus far.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Hello. I’ve had this happen twice and I’ve only had my car for 2 months. It happened last Monday as I was driving to the gym at 5:00am. And it also happened about a month ago.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hello. I’ve had this happen twice and I’ve only had my car for 2 months. It happened last Monday as I was driving to the gym at 5:00am. And it also happened about a month ago.
Hey there! I can look into your Mach E's screen concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?

Willshire1011

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Technology
Country flag
I’m having the same issue except the reboots are on both the steering console and the main display.

After the car is started and driving, both will reboot. Same experience for both.
1. Goes black
2. Off for about 5 seconds
3. Power on happens
4. 5-10 seconds later screen comes online.
5. 5-10 seconds for the consoles to be usable and stable

does anyone else have the issue with the steering console and the main unit? @Ford Motor Company any updates on this happening?

Last edited:

darshanp

First Name
Darshan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2022
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company I am having similar issues with the screens as discussed in this thread. I have had car for about a week. Screen just randomly blacks out for 5-10 seconds then restarts. Can you help me look up my vin?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company I am having similar issues with the screens as discussed in this thread. I have had car for about a week. Screen just randomly blacks out for 5-10 seconds then restarts. Can you help me look up my vin?
Hi there. This touchscreen concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Mach-E. Please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
Sponsored

Last edited: