Maine buyers looking to use State EV Incentives - Cautionary tale!

MaineSailor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 SAAB 9-5, 2021 Mach E SR Premium
Occupation
Marine Engineer
Country flag
Greetings Maine Mach E buyers: I talked with Efficiency Maine today regarding the $2000 EV incentive rebate, and how to apply for it. Surprising to learn that you must purchase your Mach E through a "Participating Dealer" - see here: https://www.efficiencymaine.com/docs/EV_Accelerator_Participating_Dealers-3.pdf

Purchasers of Teslas (direct from the manufacturer) have a special form to fill out, since there is no dealer.
**The word of caution is this: If you buy your car from a Ford dealer that is not on this list, you DO NOT get the $2000 rebate!
One of the local Ford dealers that I was considering using is not a "participating dealer"!
Please be guided accordingly, and Happy Motoring!
Sponsored

Rich_Maine

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Toyota Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am in Maine also. And unless you are just buying the most basic version of the car, you won't get any rebate at all! The rebate only applies to under $50K cars, so I was really annoyed.

And, BTW in case you are using X Plan, don't bother. Maine doesn't allow dealer fee to be different between purchasers, so you can't get a reduced dealer fee!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
And, BTW in case you are using X Plan, don't bother. Maine doesn't allow dealer fee to be different between purchasers, so you can't get a reduced dealer fee!
Do they also not allow the ~$700 discount that comes with X-Plan?

Rich_Maine

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do they also not allow the ~$700 discount that comes with X-Plan?
Discount is allowed but after paying the fees for x plan, it's a very small amount. Buy the car in NH to get the $100 dealer prep.
There is also a great deal on the Juicebox charger and ongoing credits. Check with efficiency Maine folks.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Discount is allowed but after paying the fees for x plan, it's a very small amount. Buy the car in NH to get the $100 dealer prep.
There is also a great deal on the Juicebox charger and ongoing credits. Check with efficiency Maine folks.
It only costs $35 to join Mustang Club of America and you save ~$700. Still seems worth it.

OP
OP
MaineSailor

MaineSailor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 SAAB 9-5, 2021 Mach E SR Premium
Occupation
Marine Engineer
Country flag
It is possible to buy a mid-range Mach E, and stay under the $50k limit. We just ordered a Premium, with the optional Star White paint - single motor and standard range, and the total is less than $50k. You have to add the dealer "doc fee" to the MSRP and options, and not hit the $50k limit. Curiously, Efficiency Maine does not include the $1100 Ford "Destination and delivery" fee in their calculation: https://www.efficiencymaine.com/evehicles/electric-vehicle-rebates/.
Bottom line: If you don't want all-wheel drive and/or extended range, it can be done.

Rich_Maine

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is possible to buy a mid-range Mach E, and stay under the $50k limit. We just ordered a Premium, with the optional Star White paint - single motor and standard range, and the total is less than $50k. You have to add the dealer "doc fee" to the MSRP and options, and not hit the $50k limit. Curiously, Efficiency Maine does not include the $1100 Ford "Destination and delivery" fee in their calculation: https://www.efficiencymaine.com/evehicles/electric-vehicle-rebates/.
Bottom line: If you don't want all-wheel drive and/or extended range, it can be done.
Hi Fellow Mainer!

here was my thought process on my purchase.

I currently own a hybrid and the electric miles drop by 40% most of the year. If we lived in a warmer state, this wouldn't be a concern. Also, the use of the heater impacts the range as well. So, I wanted to avoid having any range anxiety in my new car.

Going with the smaller battery was a concern due to Maine's extremely limited charging infrastructure. Hopefully it gets better but right now both Maine and NH sadly lack charging stations. So, combining lower mileage with limited charging locations made me very apprehensive.

Lastly, I realized that any new car I bought must have AWD around here. I just don't want to have another consideration about travelling on roads that aren't very good in either snow or rain.

Enjoy your car! Hope to see you on the road!
Sponsored