Maine Windshield / Pano Roof Recalls Done?

MaineSailor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 SAAB 9-5, 2021 Mach E SR Premium
Occupation
Marine Engineer
Country flag
Greetings all: Anybody in Maine had the dreaded glass recalls done yet? I stopped in at my local dealer (Brunswick) a couple of weeks ago - right after the recall instructions came out from Ford - and they advised that I take the car to a dealer with an in-house body shop, since there is body work involved, not just glass company work. Anybody have any experience having the recalls done? Thanks!
Sponsored

pclaybar86

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Has anyone gotten this done yet in the Maine area?

My local dealer is hesitant and said the windshield could crack, I don't really have 2 weeks where I can drop the car off in case they need another.

Is this something SAFELITE could do?

OP
OP
MaineSailor

MaineSailor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marine Engineer
Country flag
Has anyone gotten this done yet in the Maine area?

My local dealer is hesitant and said the windshield could crack, I don't really have 2 weeks where I can drop the car off in case they need another.

Is this something SAFELITE could do?
Patrick - I would hesitate to have this done directly by a glass company. If you don't go through Ford for the recall, it will likely not be recorded and "cleared" that the recall has been done. Dealers are supposed to have spare windshields in stock, in the event one breaks. Who is your dealer? I'm going to approach Rowe Ford in Westbrook for the recalls, as they have an in-house body shop. I'll add to this thread once my recalls have been done.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Patrick - I would hesitate to have this done directly by a glass company. If you don't go through Ford for the recall, it will likely not be recorded and "cleared" that the recall has been done. Dealers are supposed to have spare windshields in stock, in the event one breaks. Who is your dealer? I'm going to approach Rowe Ford in Westbrook for the recalls, as they have an in-house body shop. I'll add to this thread once my recalls have been done.
While that may be desired, nothing in the recall specifies that.

If you have the work done by a non-Ford dealer, the recall will not be cleared. Make sure that any glass installer reads the recall paperwork which includes much NON-STANDARD work that must be done to properly prepare the area.

OP
OP
MaineSailor

MaineSailor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marine Engineer
Country flag
So, I "Went to Rowe" (Westbrook) to get the windshield/roof recalls done. Big mistake. After making a service appointment weeks earlier, dropped the car off early Tuesday morning - 21 June. Was told it would take maybe two days. Then, no communication for days. Finally, on Friday (24 June), I called to find out what was going on. I was told that they were having issues with their glass subcontractor, and they had to arrange for a different glass company to come work on the car "on Monday". Monday came and went - again, no communication. Finally, today (Wednesday 29 June), I called and was told that the glass company would be there tomorrow (30 June) to work on the car. I pulled the plug on the repair, and brought the car back home - untouched by the dealer for over a week! DON'T "Go to Rowe"! (That's their advertising slogan). Made a service appointment for later in July at Yankee Ford in South Portland (they have an in-house body shop too). We shall see. What a pain!

OP
OP
MaineSailor

MaineSailor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Marine Engineer
Country flag
Maine Mach-E owners: A follow up to my previous post - we arranged to have the glass recalls done at Yankee Ford, South Portland, starting Monday, July 18th. They informed me right up front that there were no loaner cars available - common issue. We have other cars, so not a huge problem for us. Dropped the Mach-E off Sunday afternoon, so they could get an early start on Monday morning. They called in Allards Glass for the glass work (in the Ford shop). All went well - they didn't break the windshield, and the car was finished by Wednesday afternoon about 4. Picked the car up this morning, and don't see any serious issues as a result of the recalls. They took care of the 22B08 update and the 22S41 (main motor contactor) software update recall while the car was in the shop. One of the windshield wiper arms was slightly mis-aligned (didn't notice till I got home), but I can fix that. Kudos to Shaun Randall and the team at Yankee Ford! SOOO glad to have this behind us.
Sponsored