Man, that glass roof gets hot to the touch in the warm sunshine!

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Isn't it only 62 in Wilmington?

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
I'm in so cal. Summer 95 to 100. Looking to slow down heat transfer from Pana glass. Maybe shade cloth Or a good heat rejection tint. Maybe Stratos or 3m ceramic crystalline.​

OP
OP
Jimmy2

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I'm in so cal. Summer 95 to 100. Looking to slow down heat transfer from Pana glass. Maybe shade cloth Or a good heat rejection tint. Maybe Stratos or 3m ceramic crystalline.​
Are you sure a "heat rejection tint" is needed? Are you feeling the greenhouse effect?

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Protect your horse, I mean car, with the car umbrella 2000.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Man, that glass roof gets hot to the touch in the warm sunshine! 1619196326620

Jokes apart, there is a market for glass roof shades, they have for the MY and M3, they will most likely do it for the MME too. At this point the VW ID4 did a great job with he roll on retractable shade.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
But move your hand away slightly and you don't feel the heat radiating into the car. Cool.
It is amazing tech. I touched the ceiling once during a sunny day in the mid-70s after being parked at a soccer game, and it didn’t burn me but it was unpleasantly “I’m not touching that again” hot. Yet the rest of the car was reasonably cool. That glass REALLY absorbs heat!

I wonder if there is a strong correlation between outside temp and the heat of the glass? Like on a sunny 90 degree day are we talking stovetop hot? Makes me worry for little kids who don’t know better. They will pretty quick.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I noticed this as well. We were approaching the 90s. I had been driving for 250ish miles. Stopped for a break. Out of curiosity touched the glass. OW. Won't do that again. However, there was zero heat transfer into the cabin. I mean nothing. Really remarkable tech.

OP
OP
Jimmy2

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I noticed this as well. We were approaching the 90s. I had been driving for 250ish miles. Stopped for a break. Out of curiosity touched the glass. OW. Won't do that again. However, there was zero heat transfer into the cabin. I mean nothing. Really remarkable tech.
Same here.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
You're being modest, just south of you here in Orange it got much hotter than that last year. I have some candles (the jar kind) on my patio table, in the shade. The jars were filled with liquid wax one day. Even my Arizona friends on Facebook were impressed.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
Question, are we talking about the pano roof being hot on the inside or outside? When I touched mine from the inside on a high 70s day it was cool to warm. I figured it would be hot on the outside.

OP
OP
Jimmy2

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Question, are we talking about the pano roof being hot on the inside or outside? When I touched mine from the inside on a high 70s day it was cool to warm. I figured it would be hot on the outside.
Burn your hand hot on the inside on a hot summer day.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Well, we can be sure the roof is not violating any laws of physics ?
It does irradiate more or less the same as any other surface at the same temperature (it's not a black body).

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Inside. I assume it is equally hot on the outside but didn’t try that.