mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
It looks like the $3K Maryland EV excise tax credit was allowed to expire. The credit has been underfunded for years (last year's credit was fully expended on the first day of the fiscal year paying out claims submitted from the prior year). The Governor had proposed doubling the size of the fund; it died in committee in part due to the COVID-19-forced truncated session. So now it appears there is no state EV credit for purchases made after June 30, 2020 (and no funding for purchases made since July 2, 2019). It is possible for a retroactive credit to be passed in the next legislature - it has never been a budget buster (the proposal that died would have taken the fund from $6 million to $12 million); those of us who live in Maryland should be lobbying our state legislators and the Governor to reinstate the credit, especially seeing the climate impact of having reduced tailpipe emissions during the public health crisis. It could be seen as a stimulus for auto dealers in the state, and frankly the only way the state can even come close to our ZEV adoption goals (300,000 ZEVs on the road by 2025 - we had 18,000 as of 2019). The bill that died is here: Clean Cars Act of 2020, HB1223 - http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Legislation/Details/hb1223?ys=2020RS - including list of Committee members. Note to those who live in Montgomery County - District 15 - your rep, Delegate David Fraser-Hidalgo, is the chair of the Environment and Transportation Committee.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I concur. There was some discussion of a special session since the main one was truncated. If that doesn't happen, then we have to think about next year.

I will reach out to my Delegates and Senators. All of us in Maryland should. I may be able to convince one of my delegates to co-sponsor, especially Charkoudian on Economic Matters. She is very environmentally-minded. I strongly suspect they will back date it to continue where the other left off. They still have a waiting list of people who bought in 2019 and didn't get their rebate because it was underfunded.

OP
OP

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just heard from my Delegate, who spoke with Committee Chair Delegate Fraser-Hidalgo. There is a plan to reintroduce the bill at the start of the session and make it retroactive. In a tight budget, cost will be a factor so there may be more opposition than usual, though this is just not that big a budget item (but this kind of legislation often gets portrayed as money for wealthy people to buy expensive cars they were going to buy anyway). The other thing to watch is that since the credit has been allowed to lapse, language will matter and unintentionally clumsy wording (or even just reintroducing the 2020 legislation without updating the language) could inadvertently exclude those of us who buy an EV during the lapse (i.e. July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2021). So stay tuned and pay close attention to the 2021 legislative session!

OP
OP

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's an update. Seems like it is now a flat $3K for BEVs (and $1,500 for PHEV)

Del. Fraser-Hidalgo has prefiled HB 44, http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2021RS/bills/hb/hb0044F.pdf, which will provide excise tax credits for EV's and plug-in hybrids. It looks like it's retroactive to 2017 and goes through 2023.

OP
OP

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is that bill signed?
I undertand Del. Fraser-Hidalgo, who chairs the Env and Trans Committee has pre-filed it. It is similar to a bill that passed the committee last year but never got consideration on the floor of the House because of COVID

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
I undertand Del. Fraser-Hidalgo, who chairs the Env and Trans Committee has pre-filed it. It is similar to a bill that passed the committee last year but never got consideration on the floor of the House because of COVID
Have you seen any updates on this one? I don't think I saw it released yet.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Attachments

ChasingCoral