Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Impala
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
What do you think will be the recommended maximum charge for the Mach E? 90%? 80%? I originally ordered a standard range but if we’re supposed to max out at 80% then I’m pretty sure I’ll want to get the extended range.
Sponsored

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
What do you think will be the recommended maximum charge for the Mach E? 90%? 80%? I originally ordered a standard range but if we’re supposed to max out at 80% then I’m pretty sure I’ll want to get the extended range.
I think most are thinking 90% due to battery already being down roughly 10% of usable space.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
this is pure, uneducated guess, but given the expectation that they are leaving a large buffer, I'd think 100% would be just as good as 80% or 90% since the buffer has you covered.

That said, I expect some of this will be driven by personal range expectations as well - how much "minimum" range do you want to leave "just in case," especially if it's your only vehicle.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As others have said, the 11% buffer Ford built into the BMS is "safer" than most. In theory, that should allow for deeper charging more often. I wouldn't have concern about charging to 100% occasionally as needed. I just wouldn't do it all the time. Unless you have a daily commute of like 150 miles or something, and assuming you charge daily overnight at home, I'd go to 80%-90% most days, but I'd feel free to go to 95%-100% multiple times a month if needed.

How much of the charging you plan to do on L3 is a consideration too. If you can't do most of your charging at home (or work) on L1 or L2, and thus have to rely on L3 most of the time, that's worse for the battery. Frequent L3 charging to 100% would be more concerning.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yeah don't worry about it. Some say don't leave it at 100% very long (the programmable overnight charging helps with this as you can set it to be fully charged just before you leave in the morning).

For the Bolt, since it has such a "long range" I just drive it like a normal car: Drive until below 1/2 charge and then charge it up to full, repeat--especially now that we're not really going anywhere.

I never really had any issues with any batteries in any of my plugins (Focus Electric, C-Max Energi, and Bolt). After 3 years the Focus Electric's battery had the exact same range it did when I picked it up at the dealer.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Yeah don't worry about it. Some say don't leave it at 100% very long (the programmable overnight charging helps with this as you can set it to be fully charged just before you leave in the morning).

I never really had any issues with any batteries in any of my plugins (Focus Electric, C-Max Energi, and Bolt). After 3 years the Focus Electric's battery had the exact same range it did when I picked it up at the dealer.
Yeah I pretty much almost always put my Energi to 100% because I didn't have a smart charger until recently and about 55% usage in a day is pretty typical for me... and the battery still seems pretty much fine 7 years into it. I haven't pulled the reserve info with Forscan or anything I admit. There is a small bit of low battery drop-off but that's not too surprising for a 7-year old battery.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Charge it to max every day and you will be fine. Ford has this figured out already. We have 3 FFEs in our family and always top off the battery daily or even more frequently for myself since I am such a heavy user. No degrading observed in any vehicle yet.

The thermal management software that Magna wrote for Ford works great. I am assuming they used those lessons learned for the MME as well. Just plug and walk away. Your car will know what is best.

That being said...
Your main concern is to cost to charge so if your utility company offers off peak rates then make sure you take advantage of that.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The Ford C-Max Energi has a chronic history of HVB degradation secondary to it's air cooled design. It does not have the ability to quickly cool itself even with the air condition set to 60F. Heck, the HVB fans do not turn on until there is a 8 degree difference (higher about 60F) between the HVB and interior cabin temperature. Seen it on mine as I monitor with a third party hardware. . I do not charge it to 100% and during the hot summer days leave it 50-55% and less Knew a guy from North Carolina who drove the first 18,000 of the first 20,000 miles in EV and suffered a loss of 1kW from his usable 5.6KWh battery pack. Charging also induces heat to the battery pack as 240V charging uses 9+amps and can raise the HVB 3-5 degrees F even when doing it in the shade or at night.

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The Ford C-Max Energi has a chronic history of HVB degradation secondary to it's air cooled design. It does not have the ability to quickly cool itself even with the air condition set to 60F. Heck, the HVB fans do not turn on until there is a 8 degree difference (higher about 60F) between the HVB and interior cabin temperature. Seen it on mine as I monitor with a third party hardware. . I do not charge it to 100% and during the hot summer days leave it 50-55% and less Knew a guy from North Carolina who drove the first 18,000 of the first 20,000 miles in EV and suffered a loss of 1kW from his usable 5.6KWh battery pack. Charging also induces heat to the battery pack as 240V charging uses 9+amps and can raise the HVB 3-5 degrees F even when doing it in the shade or at night.
The MME has a thermal management system that is far superior to what you see in the Energi models. You can literally plug in the MME and not worry about overheating the battery.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The MME has a thermal management system that is far superior to what you see in the Energi models. You can literally plug in the MME and not worry about overheating the battery.
Yes that is correct and well known.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Charge to what you need. If that’s 50, cool. If that’s 100, cool. The warranty covers dramatic loss of capacity. It’s not worth a second thought.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I would recommend charging to 60kWh. That's 80% of 75kWh, 88% of 68kWh.
That will give you 140-225 miles of daily driving range.

Last edited:

AWDriftEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (20) , Tesla Model Y (21)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Due to the fact that there is a 10KW buffer there is no difference between charging to 80% or 100% in terms of damage to the battery. You literally should not have to worry about it.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
What ever it is I hope the software offers schedule based charging so I can choose which days how much to charge.

Deleted member 3663

I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I saw these posts...

What is the recommended charging percent to extend battery life?

I've seen posts that say 80%, and also 90%. And in this post it says 100% is fine because the Mach-E has a built in buffer.

Can anyone confirm that charging to 100% everyday will extend battery life in the Mach-E the same as if I only charged to 80-90%? If not, what is the best % to use to extend the battery life?

Thanks for the help from those who reply.
Sponsored