Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
Wow. Is that ICE Mustang production correct or limited due to shutdowns. I'd always assumed it was a well above 100,000+ seller. Something seems off.
The Flat Rock Plant that builds the Mustang coupe has had a couple of extended shutdowns this year because of the chip shortage. Without that happening, it is very likely more coupes would have been built than Mach-Es so far.
Sponsored

OP
OP

markcoldren

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Hybrid; 2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ford sold 105k ICE Mustangs in 2016, 81k in 2017, 75k in 2018, 72k in 2019, and 61k in 2020. That's a downward trend, but 2020 had the pandemic shutdown. And now 2021 had the semiconductor shutdown as shown in the April and May production results.

I would be surprised if they manufactured more BEV crossovers than ICE coupes for the full year, but I guess it could be close.

waldo1949

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue mach e 4x
Country flag
They only plan to make 50k/yr with roughly half to the USA.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
My understanding is that most consumers prefer cars that run on gasoline.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This adage applies to customer service but not to product development, sales, or marketing. The customer is always right on what they want until they learn there is something better.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Hmm! So there is a chance that more Mach-E could be sold world wide than ICE Mustang. What the hell are those 'not a Mustang' Folks snorting. You are flirting with disaster at 70,000 sales in such a strong environment. Next recession that production line would be in trouble. Mach-E is going to save their bacon.
I don't see the leadership of Ford ever giving up on the Mustang brand. It is such a part of their history and culture. I do remember the early 80's Mustangs which were crap - my mother had one and it had all the charm of an econobox and the reliability of a FIAT.

More likely we will see a hybrid traditional 2 door mustang as part of the transition to all-electric over time. Of course, for a long time there will still be Cobra and Shelby Mustangs. it's an exciting time as the industry is transitioning from one platform (ICE) to another (BEV) and that usually involves winners and losers. Caddilac is talking about their last big V8, which my neighbor has and it is a magnificent piece of engineering. But, the world is changing and the manufacturers know this. With that said, what are the large oil companies going to do to respond? There are a lot of components - R&D, exploration, extraction, transportation, sales, distribution, and marketing. All of that will change. Again, think winners and losers in this transition. It will take a ton of investment to implement this change and do not underestimate the large oil companies. They have the capital and the obligation to their shareholders to drive that future revenue. What will the sovereign and nationalized oil companies such as Aramco or PVDSA do as their wealth comes from selling assets to others and not internal and distribution?

Keithl

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Wait. Weren't there 3,300 sold in March? That's quite a big dip.

That was the pent up demand, now it is the normal sales slog. Also plenty of people on fence with EV see several game changers coming in the next year.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Look at that new fangled automobile when customers were just fine with horse-drawn carriages.

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Hmm! So there is a chance that more Mach-E could be sold world wide than ICE Mustang. What the hell are those 'not a Mustang' Folks snorting. You are flirting with disaster at 70,000 sales in such a strong environment. Next recession that production line would be in trouble. Mach-E is going to save their bacon.
Search on mustang sales by year. It hasn't been a 100k/yr car in a while. But it's still kicking Camaro Ass and is the best selling sports car in the world. People just don't buy sports cars like they used to.
Sponsored