Maybe disregarding charge schedules DOES make sense?

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I've seen a lot of reports on here of cars charging outside of their set limits and times. I cannot speak to blowing past a charge limit, but I think I found a case where charging outside of hours makes sense (and is purposeful).

My evse allows me to set the charge rate (very handy since the mach e can't). Last night I set it to 6 amps, because I didn't need a fast charge by any means.

So tonight when I arrived home at 9pm, the car alerted me on the screen that it wouldn't be able to charge with the time window set. (It remembered charging at only 6 amps). The charge window is supposed to start at 11pm, but when I plugged in it started charging immediately. Then when I changed the charge station back to 32 amps, the car realized it could, in fact, finish charging within the window, and it stopped charging and waited for 11pm.

IDK if anyone else has noticed this behavior, but it does make sense why sometimes the car will not respect the charge window set.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes. Totally normal.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Yes. Totally normal.
I've seen a lot of reports on here of cars charging outside of their set limits and times. I cannot speak to blowing past a charge limit, but I think I found a case where charging outside of hours makes sense (and is purposeful).

My evse allows me to set the charge rate (very handy since the mach e can't). Last night I set it to 6 amps, because I didn't need a fast charge by any means.

So tonight when I arrived home at 9pm, the car alerted me on the screen that it wouldn't be able to charge with the time window set. (It remembered charging at only 6 amps). The charge window is supposed to start at 11pm, but when I plugged in it started charging immediately. Then when I changed the charge station back to 32 amps, the car realized it could, in fact, finish charging within the window, and it stopped charging and waited for 11pm.

IDK if anyone else has noticed this behavior, but it does make sense why sometimes the car will not respect the charge window set.
I forget who figured this out last year. But you are right. Ford’s Charging “logic” uses your set “max charge” as a “minimum to be reached.” If it can’t do so within your window, it will charge outside your window.
Sponsored