Middle seat in the back complaining about seat belt?

Farfapapa

First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD with Tech pkg
Country flag
I've had the car for a week now and love it. For the first time yesterday, got one of my kids to sit in the back. Even if he was sitting on the right side, the seat belt warning for the middle seat stayed on, until we just buckled it even if no one sat there.

i guess it's the first real bug I find in my car! Anyone else faced that? I guess I'll need to bring it to the dealer already for some maintenance..
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yeah. Once it pops it doesn't go away unless you push OK on the steering wheel.

I've found that if a back passenger moves their leg over too far or pushes on the seat at all it registers a passenger. It doesn't seem to actually clear unless you turn the car off and back on. You can dismiss the message, but subsequent messages will always have that seat saying the belt is not snapped.

OP
OP

Farfapapa

First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well it happens systematically.. we had 2 destinations, and every time we got back in the car, it did it.

Yes, I can ok it, but clearly that sensor is incorrectly setup in my car!

Wonder if you have this too and just accept to hit ok every time you have a passenger in the backseat?

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Well it happens systematically.. we had 2 destinations, and every time we got back in the car, it did it.

Yes, I can ok it, but clearly that sensor is incorrectly setup in my car!

Wonder if you have this too and just accept to hit ok every time you have a passenger in the backseat?
Out of curiosity, did your kid cross the middle seat when getting in to get to the seat on the farther side? Also, did you turn on the MME before he was buckled or after? I’ll bet turning on after buckling will result in less mistakes from the sensor. (Completely uneducated guess.)

Infinite_Jester

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 2011 Chevy Suburban, 1966 Caddy
Country flag
Along these lines, at school drop-off I usually have one kid in front and one in rear. After exiting the car, the rear indicates seatbelt is unbuckled. I assume it's because the front has a sensor for weight and the rear doesn't. Minor annoyance. Didn't realize it could be dismissed with a simple button push on the steering wheel SMH!

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I’ve had passengers, specifically kids, in the back of my Mach-E many times since I got mine, I have not had this issue occur. I wonder if there could be an issue with sensor alignment, like it’s too close to one of the side seats, if this is even possible?

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag

stlippert

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Red AWD ER
Country flag
No one has ever sat in my middle rear seat, but the warning message has appeared twice when adults sat in the back. So it must be the sensor location. Glad to know of the fix.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I've seen the issue when someone buckles the side seatbelt into the center seatbelt buckle.

Its easy to get the two messed up (and even if they move the seatbelt to the correct one the message will stay until you hit the "Ok" button).

The female buckle latches for the passenger and center seat position are right next to each other and it is easy to buckle in the wrong one.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I've seen the issue when someone buckles the side seatbelt into the center seatbelt buckle.

Its easy to get the two messed up (and even if they move the seatbelt to the correct one the message will stay until you hit the "Ok" button).

The female buckle latches for the passenger and center seat position are right next to each other and it is easy to buckle in the wrong one.
Combine that with scooting across seats or pressing on the middle seat area to move around, and we may have at least a partial explanation of what's causing it.

OP
OP

Farfapapa

First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Probably won't disable it completely, i do think it's a good feature, and since i've got 3 kids, we'll eventually really have a warning if the middle seat is used and the seatbelt is not buckled!

When we went out last, kid never crossed it, didn't get close to it from what I could tell either. Just entered the right door, sat, and when i powered on, warning each time. I'll experiment some more, and probably ask the dealer to take a look once i've got another reason to go there (won't go there just for that, i'll have to admit i didn't realize i can dismiss the warning, and the simplest fix for us is to leave the middle seatbelt buckled when we don't use it).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I've had two passengers in the back seat multiple times and one even more (not three yet). That's not a warning I've had come up.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
One good thing is I told my daughter that the rear airbags will not work unless you buckle in. Do not know if this is true but now she always buckles up and even makes her 80 year old Grandmother buckle up. (Grammy never did before)
Sponsored