Midwest/Great Lakes - Recommended Accessories?

MnSparty38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Finally got my build date! For those of you experienced and living in the cold weather, recommended accessories you purchased for your Mach E, I.e. PPF, snow tires?

Bought a charger, but changed my mind. Planning to go with the xCel EV Accelerate program for charging.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FirstPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 AWD ER Prem red/black, '22 Kia Sorento PHEV
Country flag
I've lived in the Midwest most of my life, and have never bought snow tires. Never had a need. I've also never owned a true sports car, and most of the vehicles I have bought had all-weather tires, which the Mach-E has as well (Michelin Primacy I believe). Only had one car where the tires that were "all-weather" just really did poorly on the snow (the Kumho OEM tires on my 2017 Kia Optima PHEV - awful tires). But even then didn't buy snow tires. Just bought better quality all-seasons (Michelins).

The only vaguely weather-related change or buy I plan to do is buy some Tux Mats for the floors.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Good floor mats are a must. I have MaxSpyder 3D mats. Iā€™ve been using a blanket for cargo area protection. A built in Level 2 charger, either via plug or hard wired, completes what you need.

sainttail

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I recommend a Grizzl EV chargers for Winter fun. State of Charge did a review. I got the dumb version last year. This is the newer version.

FirstPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 AWD ER Prem red/black, '22 Kia Sorento PHEV
Country flag
Good floor mats are a must. I have MaxSpyder 3D mats. Iā€™ve been using a blanket for cargo area protection. A built in Level 2 charger, either via plug or hard wired, completes what you need.
Why a built-in L2 charger? I had thought originally I would need one too, but then was told that the Mach-E comes with an L2 charger anyway, and the onboard systems manage the charging. So why spend hundreds on a separate L2? I just bought a $20 metal dock with a hook for the cord that Ford will provide. Am I missing something? (I haven't taken delivery of mine yet)

sainttail

First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Why a built-in L2 charger? I had thought originally I would need one too, but then was told that the Mach-E comes with an L2 charger anyway, and the onboard systems manage the charging. So why spend hundreds on a separate L2? I just bought a $20 metal dock with a hook for the cord that Ford will provide. Am I missing something? (I haven't taken delivery of mine yet)
I do not trust the Ford charger in winter weather in Michigan. I leave mine in the car so when I have to travel to my mother house I can plug in there.

Fsisung

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT, Volvo XC 90, Ford F150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There have been thermal issues reported with the Ford mobile charger. I hardwired a ChargePoint Flex and keep the Ford mobile charger in the car.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Why not 3 or 4?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Midwest/Great Lakes - Recommended Accessories? evse1s

I guess its more of a hobby... (collecting EVSE's).

Oh and that union there at the plug did melt at one point so there is that...have to have a backup ;).

OP
OP
MnSparty38

MnSparty38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why not 3 or 4?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Midwest/Great Lakes - Recommended Accessories? evse1s

I guess its more of a hobby... (collecting EVSE's).

Oh and that union there at the plug did melt at one point so there is that...have to have a backup ;).
related to your plug, an interesting Murano YouTube to watch:

mnbiker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium
Occupation
SysAdmin
Country flag
Finally got my build date! For those of you experienced and living in the cold weather, recommended accessories you purchased for your Mach E, I.e. PPF, snow tires?

Bought a charger, but changed my mind. Planning to go with the xCel EV Accelerate program for charging.
Just curious which part of the TC you're in, and if you've had your charger installed and all yet? If you used an electricion and potentially who you used if you were happy with them? I'm in Bloomington - also currently planning on also using the Xcel program...just need to get power out to my garage still. Been putting off decisions like where in the garage to even plan for this, and if using an electrician or diy.

OP
OP
MnSparty38

MnSparty38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just curious which part of the TC you're in, and if you've had your charger installed and all yet? If you used an electricion and potentially who you used if you were happy with them? I'm in Bloomington - also currently planning on also using the Xcel program...just need to get power out to my garage still. Been putting off decisions like where in the garage to even plan for this, and if using an electrician or diy.
Yea, Iā€™m also in the SW metro. I went the expensive route and installed the extra TOU meter. I went with Bakken, I think out of St. Paul.

Prices I was getting to just install the single circuit to my garage for the EV accelerate wasnā€™t a huge difference (imo) with the option of a whole new meter, and figured I could future proof for another EV.

Install for me was pretty easy and was done in 4 hrs. Turn up from xcel (after inspection) was done in less than a week.

EDIT:Installed a hardwired Chargepoint Flex on a 60a breaker. Shouldā€™ve gone with a 125a panel after chatting with the inspector.
Sponsored

Last edited: