TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
At about 30 seconds into this YouTube video the server gives some information on the range he was seeing. Mach E test drive
There's slight glimpses of the range too. Looks like 162 miles with 57% battery at the 4:20 mark (I think). That calculates to 284 mile range. That would be good (4X 270 trim).
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
At about 30 seconds into this YouTube video the driver gives some information on the range he was seeing. Mach E test drive

3 people now that I know of that are getting over 270 miles of range on AWD ext range. I will in the mache on 11/22.

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You must not have read the 24 pages or even really the first page or so, or you'd see there were multiple statements explaining why it's not valid to take that data as relevant at this time.

You're being deliberately obtuse and/or argumentative at this point. I guess that will make three ignored people. Congratulations on getting onto that exclusive list.
Read all pages and understand. I do not believe I am and do not appreciate the personal attack over EPA numbers on a Ford. Are we now both on a list? Remember the good old days when there was no trolling or plants in forums; just a few fanboyz. Your avatar Post Police whatz up w/ that?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage for Extended Range Mach-E Models Revealed in EPA Emissions Certifications 580

Yes, those are official until they are superceded by later results. Highly likely that will happen, since I'm sure the keepers of the Ford website are fully able to get the site updated in 3 months if those were truly the final numbers. Please hold any FordPass jokes, thanks in advance.
I understand that they noted them Prelim. Read a few articles also.

I installed ford pass but see no pre-settings. Keep checking for owners manual; none yet in this region. Until I am live I do not expect much. Does not need to do much; transmit access, preheat and charging info/control. It's big second in size to 100 gigs of lossless at 470 meg. Slow boot.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Your avatar Post Police whatz up w/ that?
It's just a joke on his part; I can see why you don't think it's funny since he did lean on you harder than he should have.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's just a joke on his part; I can see why you don't think it's funny since he did lean on you harder than he should have.
Straight over my head. Ford's beef is with EPA. Why were the prelim's posted in the first place; is that mandatory? I too check EPA's site and just commented on what the preliminary numbers said and there impact.

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
There's slight glimpses of the range too. Looks like 162 miles with 57% battery at the 4:20 mark (I think). That calculates to 284 mile range. That would be good (4X 270 trim).
284 miles on the extended range battery! that's a lot of a distance reduction compared to the figure listed on the ford uk site, is that AWD?

update - this is the AWD ER (says in the video) ford UK list it as a range of 335miles.... that's appears to thus be a bit optomistic.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
284 miles on the extended range battery! that's a lot of a distance reduction compared to the figure listed on the ford uk site, is that AWD?

update - this is the AWD ER (says in the video) ford UK list it as a range of 335miles.... that's appears to thus be a bit optomistic.
Europe uses WLTP range, which is even more generous/exaggerated than EPA range. Mach-E RWD ER is 370 WLTP (targeted) while EPA is 300, for example.

Google "WLTP vs EPA Range" and you'll see a lot of explanation.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Like so many things surrounding distance driving, what you say requires an "it depends" qualifier.

It depends greatly on the trip.
The extra thirty miles of range will definitely be insignificant 99.9% of the time, and that's being generous. Let's walk through the math.

For starters, 90% of the time you're not driving more than a hundred miles. For the remaining 10% or more likely 5% of the time, let's assume you're going more than 250 miles.

The math is clear that for this 5%-10% of the time and extra 30 miles won't make a difference. Since chargers are located 70 miles apart on average, the critical distance would be 70 miles. You will need to stop once regardless of those thirty miles.

The only way you get a different result is to come up with a hypothetical, which you've done, that you have just enough range to get to AC charger at the destination. But in this case the car with more range will actually take LONGER to charge. This follows because the vehicle with the slightly shorter range will have charged at a much faster rate than the vehicle with more range. So rationally if you had the vehicle with the longer range you'd stop and use the DC charger rather than continuing and using the AC charger.

You can make a further assumption, which I think you have, that the L2 charger would be located where you were spending the night or something. But that assumption doesn't really change the equation. Most L2 chargers will give you 10 miles/hour. You get to your destination, go to dinner, come back, plug in, and go to sleep. Next morning you're ready to go. Oh wait, you only have 100 miles. of range. Guess you'll have to spend another day waiting for the car to charge. As opposed to the driver of the vehicle with the shorter range who, having gotten to the destination with almost a full charge, plugged into the same charger but is ready to go.

Bottom line is that 30 miles of range for the MME is a throwaway. Were it otherwise I would have gone for more range rather than more performance, but it's not so I didn't. LOL Obviously at some point more range would be useful. I'd put it at 100 miles but a reasonable argument could put it at 70-80 miles. But 30 miles? No. Just is never gong to matter.

FWIW I'm confident that in the first few years I will get at least 230 miles of range from a AWD ER MME. Would I like over 300 miles? Sure. Do I care if the 230 miles was 260 miles? Not really, not the least because range depends on many factors, including how you drive. If I need more range I'll just let my wife drive -- she gets more range that I do. Problem solved!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The extra thirty miles of range will definitely be insignificant 99.9% of the time, and that's being generous. Let's walk through the math.

For starters, 90% of the time you're not driving more than a hundred miles. For the remaining 10% or more likely 5% of the time, let's assume you're going more than 250 miles.

The math is clear that for this 5%-10% of the time and extra 30 miles won't make a difference. Since chargers are located 70 miles apart on average, the critical distance would be 70 miles. You will need to stop once regardless of those thirty miles.

The only way you get a different result is to come up with a hypothetical, which you've done, that you have just enough range to get to AC charger at the destination. But in this case the car with more range will actually take LONGER to charge. This follows because the vehicle with the slightly shorter range will have charged at a much faster rate than the vehicle with more range. So rationally if you had the vehicle with the longer range you'd stop and use the DC charger rather than continuing and using the AC charger.

You can make a further assumption, which I think you have, that the L2 charger would be located where you were spending the night or something. But that assumption doesn't really change the equation. Most L2 chargers will give you 10 miles/hour. You get to your destination, go to dinner, come back, plug in, and go to sleep. Next morning you're ready to go. Oh wait, you only have 100 miles. of range. Guess you'll have to spend another day waiting for the car to charge. As opposed to the driver of the vehicle with the shorter range who, having gotten to the destination with almost a full charge, plugged into the same charger but is ready to go.

Bottom line is that 30 miles of range for the MME is a throwaway. Were it otherwise I would have gone for more range rather than more performance, but it's not so I didn't. LOL Obviously at some point more range would be useful. I'd put it at 100 miles but a reasonable argument could put it at 70-80 miles. But 30 miles? No. Just is never gong to matter.

FWIW I'm confident that in the first few years I will get at least 230 miles of range from a AWD ER MME. Would I like over 300 miles? Sure. Do I care if the 230 miles was 260 miles? Not really, not the least because range depends on many factors, including how you drive. If I need more range I'll just let my wife drive -- she gets more range that I do. Problem solved!
Lots to deconstruct and address in there, but I won't take the time to do it all. Kind of a waste of time anyway.

Yes, the vast majority of the time people are driving round home, and charging at home. That's well established. Frankly, if one is doing a lot of road trips, they're be smart to steer way clear of a BEV in the first place, and stick to ICE or PHEV. So if that's you're concern, fine, that's well known.

Second, L2 usually adds around 20 miles an hour, not 10. Meaning a complete fill-up overnight (or very close). Making that whole "100 mile" paragraph moot. (And charging overnight is COMPLETELY different than having to stop and wait to babysit the vehicle during the drive. That's the whole point.)

Sorry, but chargers are not spaced 70 miles apart anywher nearly as consistently as would be needed for your point to be valid. They vary greatly. Sometimes there's 100+ miles between then, sometimes only 10 or 20 or 30. Or 50 or 70 or 90. 30 extra miles can allow someone to skip charger #4 on the route and make it to #5. Or get to #5 if all the chargers at #4 are full, or broken. You may not think there's an iota of value to any of that, but other people do. Hell, you're basically saying anything over 100 mile range is a waste because they have to stop every 70 miles anyway. Sorry, there's reason people care about more range.

Anyway, that's enough. Suffice it to say, we disagree.

Dirtman16

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
I'm a Tesla Model 3 LR RWD owner, but I'm excited about all future EVs. I thought I'd share some real world experience in this thread that may (or may not) make you feel a bit better about these EPA ranges.

My car is rated for 325 miles. However, after 16,000 miles, my "full tank" is really more like 300-310 miles (due to degradation that happens early in all EVs. My lifetime consumption puts my real world range at around 283 miles from 100% to 0%. This includes a mix of city and high speed highway driving, a mild winter, and summer weather (live in north Alabama). So, it's a bit lower than the rated range.

Realistically, if you're on a road trip, you're gonna charge between 10-80% because it's where you'll see the fastest charging speeds. In the winter, you can also knock off 15% or so in my climate. So worst case scenario in my car, you're at (0.7*283*.85) 168 miles. At 70-75 mph, that's almost 2 1/2 hours between stops, which is just about all I can tolerate. And you can go a bit further if your destination is within the usable range (more like 210-240 miles) and you can just level 2 charge at the end. What's actually more important is the speed at which you can recharge between stops, if needed.

Even if the Mach E is rated at 288 miles, you're still probably looking at 150 miles between fast charging stop on a road trip, even in the worst conditions. In the real world, it's never been an issue for me, and I doubt it would be for 90-95% of drivers.

If you're road trip warrior that can drive for 4 hours at a time and doesn't want to stop for more than 5 minutes on breaks, sure, you'll be disappointed. You probably should also take it easy and enjoy the trip though.

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
One thing we should all keep in mind is that, over the next few years (as EV ownership ramps up via the hockey-stick curve), the number of charging stations should increase greatly (maybe exponentially?), so that charging stations will be almost on parallel with 'gas stations'. Maybe not 'one on every corner', but enough so that range anxiety will be mostly eliminated.

And, since 'one on every corner' is not even needed (i.e., with EVs you have a 'gas station' at your house), as long as the charging station infrastructure is logically spaced, having about 250 miles of range will probably suffice for 95% or more of drivers.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One thing we should all keep in mind is that, over the next few years (as EV ownership ramps up via the hockey-stick curve), the number of charging stations should increase greatly (maybe exponentially?), so that charging stations will be almost on parallel with 'gas stations'. Maybe not 'one on every corner', but enough so that range anxiety will be mostly eliminated.

And, since 'one on every corner' is not even needed (i.e., with EVs you have a 'gas station' at your house), as long as the charging station infrastructure is logically spaced, having about 250 miles of range will probably suffice for 95% or more of drivers.
Yes and if I'm not mistaken your newly elected president has a program regarding that infrastructure. Hope this is not to much of a political thing.
Sponsored