Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
My Kona easily spins its wheels even in Eco mode. Starting off the line in Sport mode is very difficult because of how quickly the wheels spin.
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately with an EV's weight distribution FWD is a horrible choice. Easier to build, yes. But under acceleration the weight just transfers away from the drive wheels. On the good side you won't have that issue with a RWD or AWD Mach-e. You're going to love it!

I had a Chevy Cobalt. Trying to pull away from a stop sign--dry pavement--while turning was a huge frustration. The wheels just spun. Hi torque and FWD just don't mix. The Nissan Juke Nismo tried to fix the problem with a limited slip front differential, but even that didn't help around corners. You just had to leave it in AWD--you could select between AWD and FWD--or the car wasn't driveable with all the power it had.
Sponsored

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have driven a Kona twice and both had spinning wheels and torque steer, my e-Golf also has spinning wheels if you are too eager but no torque steer.

This is why i am fine with the rear wheel drive Mach-E:D
My guess from your comment is that the Kona must have unequal length half shafts.

You are going to love the Mach-e! RWD is only one of the many reasons it's going to be an outstanding EV.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately with an EV's weight distribution FWD is a horrible choice. Easier to build, yes. But under acceleration the weight just transfers away from the drive wheels.
why is FWD easier to build in the EV context?

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
why is FWD easier to build in the EV context?
Great question!! Because a manufacturer can leverage an existing ICE platform which is already set up for FWD. The Kona in particular is not a dedicated EV platform. Even with a dedicated platform, it's easier to preserve space in the passenger/cargo compartment by just stuffing everything under the hood. A cheap compliance EV is probably going to be FWD. A quality EV like the Mach-e is always going to be RWD/AWD.

Last edited:

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Got it, I wasn't sure where you were going. Front engine cars are certainly the most prevalent and reuse would bring down "conversion" costs. Making something like a Porsche 911 an EV would similarly be cheaper to do as RWD than FWD.

Reactions: Nak

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Great question!! Because a manufacturer can leverage an existing ICE platform which is already set up for FWD. The Kona in particular is not a dedicated EV platform. Even with a dedicated platform, it's easier to preserve space in the passenger/cargo compartment by just stuffing everything under the hood. A cheap compliance EV is probably going to be FWD. A quality EV like the Mach-e is always going to be RWD/AWD.
And mostly because a company doesn't have ~$3 billion lying around to build a small BEV from the ground up, and have any hope of recovering a fraction of that $. So you use as much of an existing vehicle as you can. Like with Focus. Go hug an F-Series owner for financing your BEV development (when COVID is over, lol).

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well at 1:54 I'm hearing the tire spin, of course it's a small spin but just imagine on wet or snowy road and you have long wheel spins, causing tire wearing very fast in the front and no traction in those situation. This was one of the reason I went for the Mach-E.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Good news from another of the demo vehicles that is being driven, this one in AZ shows 281 mile range at 100% charge.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage for Extended Range Mach-E Models Revealed in EPA Emissions Certifications 126083871_10157704941756430_4902542455122144052_n

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
?

It's funny how upset some people get when it turns out they're wrong. Some just can't accept it and post completely irrelevant links to "prove" their point in a desperate attempt to hang on to their ignorance. . I love to be proved wrong; it means I learned something. None of us know everything, especially me. (Just ask my wife, LOL.) The whole point of discussion is to learn something. I'll defend my position, but I love it when someone shows me I'm wrong about something, or that there is a better answer. I'm grateful to the person who shows me I'm wrong; they have educated and enlightened me. "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." Unless, of course, you are on vacation in Mexico...