Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The other trims coming in at almost exactly their early targets sure suggests the GT is likely to do the same.
Interesting that the CA Route 1 still doesn't have it's EPA range and efficiency certified. A December 15 surprise perhaps?
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting that the CA Route 1 still doesn't have it's EPA range and efficiency certified. A December 15 surprise perhaps?
I don't see why it would have it's own separate numbers. Seems like it's it's just a RWD ER. I know the wheels are a little different, but the wheels are also different between Selects (18") vs Premiums (19") too, yet they don't differentiate the EPA numbers between those (even though it probably makes a modest difference in range).

Aero covers alone probably don't warrant enough difference for a whole new EPA rating. I'm guessing Ford is simply differentiating by motors and batteries, but not wheels. Thus why they've always just counted it as 300 miles, same as a RWD ER Select or Premium.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I don't see why it would have it's own separate numbers. Seems like it's it's just a RWD ER. I know the wheels are a little different, but the wheels are also different between Selects (18") vs Premiums (19") too, yet they don't differentiate the EPA numbers between those (even though it probably makes a modest difference in range).

Aero covers alone probably don't warrant enough difference for a whole new EPA rating. I'm guessing Ford is simply differentiating by motors and batteries, but not wheels.
Smaller wheels, aero covers and potentially "special" tuning to maximize range at the cost of performance. Ford may have some tricks up its sleeves to make this a significantly longer range model. Otherwise, why wouldn't the EPA ratings be available?

OP
OP
EVmodeler

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag
The RT 1 is covered by the same emissions cert - which may be worse case
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage for Extended Range Mach-E Models Revealed in EPA Emissions Certifications 1607437713000

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Smaller wheels, aero covers and potentially "special" tuning to maximize range at the cost of performance. Ford may have some tricks up its sleeves to make this a significantly longer range model. Otherwise, why wouldn't the EPA ratings be available?
They are, just not exclusively by it's own trim name. Just like First Edition doesn't have separate EPA.

If Ford thought that would make a major difference, they'd have surely given it an estimate higher than 300.

Last edited:

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
The RT 1 is covered by the same emissions cert - which may be worse case
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage for Extended Range Mach-E Models Revealed in EPA Emissions Certifications 1607437713000
You'll notice the word "family" in the documentation. A family is a distinct group of vehicles, i.e. Mach-e AWD extended range. EPA defines the part/feature differences which would allow you to group vehicles into their own family. Infinite Blue cars can't be their own family (I know, hard to believe, right?). Rt 1 may not fit the description of a unique family.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You'll notice the word "family" in the documentation. A family is a distinct group of vehicles, i.e. Mach-e AWD extended range. EPA defines the part/feature differences which would allow you to group vehicles into their own family. Infinite Blue cars can't be their own family (I know, hard to believe, right?). Rt 1 may not fit the description of a unique family.
Yep, it would seem the family here is defined by all RWD ER.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OP
OP
EVmodeler

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Right - One EPA emissions cert often covers a particular powertrain, but then different models have separate EPA test car list data and separate fueleconomy.gov / label energy consumption.
So does that mean the number is determined (300 mile range) but someone just hasn't linked it to that model in the database yet?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Would be interesting to see if there were any tweaks to the software for Rt 1, why they couldn't be used in the other models- option checkoff in Whisper mode for example (without the benefit of the aero wheels.)

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Would be interesting to see if there were any tweaks to the software for Rt 1, why they couldn't be used in the other models- option checkoff in Whisper mode for example (without the benefit of the aero wheels.)
On a related point, wonder what mode the EPA results were based on - Engage (default) or Whisper?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
On a related point, wonder what mode the EPA results were based on - Engage (default) or Whisper?
Has different power yes and different regen.
How you personally drive the mache is going to matter more. Same as an ICE vehicle. People give Ev a hard time well only thins much range. If you are driving an ice vehicle and driving it hard you also don't get the Recommended EPA also.

Our own personal driving style will have a bigger role than anything. I drove a tesla model Y last week and was supposed to get 320 something miles. We got around 203 with less than 10% battery left. No, I was not driving nice. So goes to show you, weather and driving style will play a big role.
Sponsored