EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
So, I'm confused. Does this mean that one can expect 330+ miles of STRAIGHT HIGHWAY cruising?
No, those numbers aren't adjusted, and they're slower than most highway cruising.

You could expect 330 miles if you repeated this profile for more than 6 hours on a dyno.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage for Extended Range Mach-E Models Revealed in EPA Emissions Certifications hwfetdds
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Last edited:

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anther related file, the Application for Certificate
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=51341&flag=1
This is interesting; is there no LV battery, or is the DC-DC piped into a battery like in other cars?

I'm guessing the latter, but the verbiage makes it sound like it's direct to the LV system, which is intriguing.

Accessories Which Draw Energy from the Battery
The electric air conditioning system as well as the electric heater used for the passenger compartment heater both draw energy from the battery, however they can only draw energy from the battery when the vehicle is operating. In addition to passengercompartment heating/cooling, a liquid thermal management system draws energy to thermallycondition the battery while the vehicle isoperating or on-plug(while on-plug this system utilizes facility power instead of drawing energy form the battery).All other 12V systems (lights, radio, wipers etc.) also draw energy from the battery when the vehicle is on and in those cases, the higher voltage from the battery is converted via the onboard DCDC converter to approximately 14VDC in order provide the energy for those systems to operate.

Reactions: DBC

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
So, here’s how I look at it:
Tesla is ruled out in my mind because of quality and lack of an IC (and no “hard” controls)
Ford had been saying “Projected 270 miles” range for the model I want (ER AWD)
They came in at 250 (apparently). This is ~ 93% of their target, which is within 10%. As a person with an engineering background, I’ll take something within 10%. Not going to be the end of my world. May have a significant impact on others.
We're also accepting these on face value. We have no idea if they're completely accurate or whether there's more to the test and ultimate range and mpge ratings. Time will tell on that.

But if the calculations we've made are accurate. I'm quite content with them.

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
If this is true, they really should think about unlocking some of that extremely conservative 10kw battery buffer. No other EV I can think of restricts that much of the pack from being usable.
I think there is more to the story. Ford will not publish (finalize) the usable battery unless they are confident with the range.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
This is interesting; is there no LV battery, or is the DC-DC piped into a battery like in other cars?

I'm guessing the latter, but the verbiage makes it sound like it's direct to the LV system, which is intriguing.
There is a 12v battery on board.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

It does have a 12-volt LV battery.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think there is more to the story. Ford will not publish (finalize) the usable battery unless they are confident with the range.
It seems unlikely they'd file with EPA something they intend to immediately revise. It is worth noting that EPA filings are typically pre-production, though, so what leaves the factory may be different, for better or for worse.

I'm not worried about it either way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EVmodeler

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag
So, I'm confused. Does this mean that one can expect 330+ miles of STRAIGHT HIGHWAY cruising?
If you cruise at the HWFET drive cycle avg speed of 48 mph, maybe.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
It's a legacy issue. The available systems and subsystems are 12v so they will all run through the 12v battery. Also why you can't start a BEV with a dead 12v battery and why you're limited to the 12v circuit when using a BEV for backup power.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is huge for us, its a big factor and outs the MachE in a much less desirable place and we have two on order.
Can I ask about your particular scenario? Extremely long commuter, or roadtripper?
Sponsored