Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not me, personally. It's a Mustang after all -- it's gotta have SOME emphasis on acceleration:)
I'll trade 30 miles of range for 1 second faster 0-60.
But not for the price of the GT model.
You mean 4.8 instead of mid 5's? This vehicles spec (and est) has more HP and torque (almost 30%) than my V8 pickups at about the same weight (not distribution and 2% less). I'll take the 30 miles since 1 sec is nothing compared to sitting and charging over the course of its life. I do not floor the truck too often off the red and most likely will not with a SUV (crossover). Only time is passing gear and I think this vehicle should get me out and around no problems with or without the one second.

It should be good to drive something that feels rear wheel drive with the power and instant torque that surpassing a lot of small block V8's. One good thing about this tech switch is they are quick; 7 motors 1400 hp scary quick. Figure out a way to harness it, not just burn rubber in a green environmentally sound manner, and these 1st additions may not have bragging rights for long; possible that they software cap for safety (regs).
I’m sure there was a meeting at Ford yesterday and someone was getting chewed out. That person was saying, I don’t know what happened. Why can’t these people just wait for us to finish the testing. Why do they to go searching around, stirring up trouble.
Wonder how that went? It was an official post on a government web site; no hacking required. This had to be expected? Guess if it was a feeler hope they got the info they are looking for.
Sponsored

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
You mean 4.8 instead of mid 5's? This vehicles spec (and est) has more HP and torque (almost 30%) than my V8 pickups at about the same weight (not distribution and 2% less). I'll take the 30 miles since 1 sec is nothing compared to sitting and charging over the course of its life. I do not floor the truck too often off the red and most likely will not with a SUV (crossover). Only time is passing gear and I think this vehicle should get me out and around no problems with or without the one second.
It's both a personal preference for me, and a marketing decision for Ford -- they're very clearly benchmarking Tesla, who offers similar performance and slightly better range in one package on the Model Y. And I'd argue that they have to, to stay relevant.
By the way, I'm coming off of a supercharged V8 Mustang which made 500hp and weighed 1500 lbs less. The Mach-E Premium won't be as fast, but I'll definitely appreciate the instant torque. And the added space. And the lack of a need for gas stations!

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag

It should be good to drive something that feels rear wheel drive with the power and instant torque that surpassing a lot of small block V8's. One good thing about this tech switch is they are quick; 7 motors 1400 hp scary quick. Figure out a way to harness it, not just burn rubber in a green environmentally sound manner, and these 1st additions may not have bragging rights for long; possible that they software cap for safety (regs).

Wonder how that went? It was an official post on a government web site; no hacking required. This had to be expected? Guess if it was a feeler hope they got the info they are looking for.
Most likely they're not too worried. They probably asked someone to respond just to calm ppl down but in all likeliness they're ok with the lowering of expectations, just to surpass them.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's both a personal preference for me, and a marketing decision for Ford -- they're very clearly benchmarking Tesla, who offers similar performance and slightly better range in one package on the Model Y. And I'd argue that they have to, to stay relevant.
By the way, I'm coming off of a supercharged V8 Mustang which made 500hp and weighed 1500 lbs less. The Mach-E Premium won't be as fast, but I'll definitely appreciate the instant torque. And the added space. And the lack of a need for gas stations!
All part of the "Mustang vs SUV" internal conflict with the Mach-E. Lots of aspects that lean one way, and lots that lean the other. It's why the #notamustang crowd is unhappy.

I'm more of an SUV person. I think it's cool that the Mach-E has some Mustang styling, but my emphasis is more on function. I wish the Mach-E were a little taller too.

But there's buyers all over the map. Some want more sports car, some want more SUV. Overall Ford appears to have done a great job merging the 2 into something that's gonna please a lot of buyers.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Most likely they're not too worried. They probably asked someone to respond just to calm ppl down but in all likeliness they're ok with the lowering of expectations, just to surpass them.
There is the glass half full. 270 looks good now quit hoping for 300. For me it is about winter range; not range anxiety but just math as towns are a distance. With 200 km (125 mi) to a charger with only 400 km (250 mi) range this could be pushing it a bit at -20 oC (-4 oF). It tends to give a reboot. With a 100 kwh pack I thought for sure 450 km (280 mi) was doable. Who knows as this will be my first EV but 450 calculates a lot better than 400 on older (different vehicle) data; 100 to 0% under ideal conditions. Guess my days of breaking 8" of powder for the pack behind is over as I will want to take the suv not the truck. Little more planning we guess.

Last edited:

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
There is the glass half full. 270 looks good now quit hoping for 300. For me it is about winter range; not range anxiety but just math as towns are a distance. With 200 km (125 mi) to a charger with only 400 km (250 mi) range this could be pushing it a bit at -20 oC (-4 oF). It tends to give a reboot. With a 100 kwh pack I thought for sure 450 km (280 mi) was doable. Who knows as this will be my first EV but 450 calculates a lot better than 400 on older (different vehicle) data; 100 to 0% under ideal conditions. Guess my days of breaking 8" of powder for the pack behind is over as I will want to take the suv not the truck. Little more planning we guess.
I completely understand you and we're both in the same boat.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
all I can say is don't start overacting right now. Everything is fine. The amount held back in the battery pack is more than any other EV on the market.

The range will be met.
This should give confidence in everyone. Ford will meet the numbers guys, chill out with the BS!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Overall Ford appears to have done a great job merging the 2 into something that's gonna please a lot of buyers.
Pleased or irate; it all depends upon how reasonable people are willing to be. Those that recognize the reality of the situation will be pleased. Those that expect reality to conform to their wishes will be irate.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
All part of the "Mustang vs SUV" internal conflict with the Mach-E. Lots of aspects that lean one way, and lots that lean the other. It's why the #notamustang crowd is unhappy.

I'm more of an SUV person. I think it's cool that the Mach-E has some Mustang styling, but my emphasis is more on function. I wish the Mach-E were a little taller too.

But there's buyers all over the map. Some want more sports car, some want more SUV. Overall Ford appears to have done a great job merging the 2 into something that's gonna please a lot of buyers.
Agreed with that analysis. I think you hit the nail on the head here.
Personally, I swing more towards the sports car side of the pendulum.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Little more planning we guess.
More than a little more. Many trips look like they require the equivalent of filing a flight plan. Charger spacing, backups, things to do within walking distance to kill half an hour, hotels with chargers present or nearby, etc.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
More than a little more. Many trips look like they require the equivalent of filing a flight plan. Charger spacing, backups, things to do within walking distance to kill half an hour, hotels with chargers present or nearby, etc.
Duh! Welcome to the world of the BEV travel. ? If it's too daunting, Costco has a fantastic car rental program. No one wants a minivan but they are the best for road trips.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Pleased or irate; it all depends upon how reasonable people are willing to be. Those that recognize the reality of the situation will be pleased. Those that expect reality to conform to their wishes will be irate.
Please explain the really of the situation. Tesla 290 mi on 77 kwh with 0.7 scalers. Are you saying reality is it will not be close (270 on 95)? Not all are irate just observations. Some purchase for practicality and payback. As anything, nothing is perfect, all about finding workarounds and what will suit your needs the best at the least cost (one tool to rule them all). Look forward to some hands on reviews and further official dyna scores. Will be interesting.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Unfortunately day to day range rarely matters (near home). And I've read highway cruising (high speed) isnt very optimized because without a transmission, the motor revs higher than its most optimal range.
dbsb3233, Do you have efficiency data on the electric motor Ford uses? In my work on electrified off-highway heavy equipment, the sweet spot on the e-motor efficiency curve can be higher RPM than most might believe. Be careful you don't apply 100 years of ICE/Trans experience to electrified/no trans powertrains. Many of the "rules of thumb" have been turned on their heads with EV's. It is possible that the peak efficiency of the powertrain can be achieved at 70 mph, then offset by air drag, so the over-the-road mi/kWh may not be very different at 65, 70, 75 mph. The measurements I have done on my Kona indicate that the penalty for high speed is not as much as I would expect based on V-squared equation for drag, for example. Aggressive acceleration does have its penalty, but bursts are typically very short and therefore a small percent of total miles traveled is spent accelerating hard.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
That's not all bad. We found our new favorite restaurant at the coast because it had a free charger. It can all be part of your mindset. Is the trip a chore, or an adventure? You're part of something new; take advantage of that. We planned a trip to Northern Vancouver Island this summer--postponed until next summer because of Covid--where there are mountains and no Tesla superchargers. That's part of the fun. 10 years from now road tripping in an EV will be just as bland as ICE road trips are now. Enjoy the adventure and the sense of helping to bring something new into the world.
Sponsored