TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's great! Believe me, I WANT the ER battery especially when I saw the 0-60 performance would be better, but I'm holding firm on the $5k savings, which usually I'm not good at doing ?
The extra 60 miles (more like ~45 at high speed) still only brings it to barely enough more to consider road trips for our tastes. We've always been "just get there with minimal stops" road trippers, so this will take a lot of getting used to. And there's still many routes that either won't be possible at all, or that we'd have to make serious compromise. We may still just take the Escape on those. But others shouldn't be too bad. Shorter trips should be fine (a few hundred miles). And some long routes will be doable, just with a lot more stops than we're used to.

The charging options will improve greatly in the coming years too, which will make more routes possible.
Sponsored

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
The extra 60 miles (more like ~45 at high speed) still only brings it to barely enough more to consider road trips for our tastes. We've always been "just get there with minimal stops" road trippers, so this will take a lot of getting used to. And there's still many routes that either won't be possible at all, or that we'd have to make serious compromise. We may still just take the Escape on those. But others shouldn't be too bad. Shorter trips should be fine (a few hundred miles). And some long routes will be doable, just with a lot more stops than we're used to.

The charging options will improve greatly in the coming years too, which will make more routes possible.
We're the same. We have other vehicles for the occasional long trip. My in-laws are 160 miles away so I should be fine with the SR AWD. They installed a 50 amp plug just for us.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Most likely there is back and forth and if Ford wanted it held for a re-submission it would have been held. Dec 7th is coming pretty quick and it was noted that the government agencies were a slow cog. They just built it up that they were going to blow by their estimates. They submitted official results; but they are not really official results.
I don't think Ford built up that they would blow by their range estimates. Ford has stuck with suggesting they will meet their estimates. Has Ford changed that? On the other hand, there have been many suggestions on this forum that the car will exceed the targets that have been repeatedly and consistently provided by Ford. Don't get me wrong, I hope range will exceed Ford's estimates. I just don't think Ford has said that range would exceed their estimates. If they had done so, wouldn't they be saying "We estimate that range will exceed our estimates."?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I was disheartened by this initial document as well, but I think it is premature to assume it is the "final" word. Given that Ford has been insistent before and after this came out that they would meet their targets, I think it makes sense to give them the benefit of doubt that they will. It's only a few more weeks now, so you might as well hold off until you have the actual number to make a decision. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Yes but I'm far less concerned about a leaked document with unreleased figures that we converted to an estimated range. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy @EVmodeler found this. More information is good and the discussions were quite entertaining :D

I've been quite satisfied with the reports from the Mach E Tour that the regional office's Mach E is starting out a full charge showing a 300 mile range and then showing ~270 mile range after driving 1.5 hours on interstates, mostly at 70+ mph, followed by test rides with lots of heavy acceleration see (https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ea-mach-e-tour-11-21-november.1985/post-57322). Couple that with Mike Levine tweeting his assurance that Ford will hit their range estimates and I'm quite happy with where they are. Of course, the sooner Ford releases the official range estimates the better!

OP
OP
EVmodeler

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag
Yes but I'm far less concerned about a leaked document with unreleased figures that we converted to an estimated range. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy @EVmodeler found this. More information is good and the discussions were quite entertaining :D

I've been quite satisfied with the reports from the Mach E Tour that the regional office's Mach E is starting out a full charge showing a 300 mile range and then showing ~270 mile range after driving 1.5 hours on interstates, mostly at 70+ mph, followed by test rides with lots of heavy acceleration see (https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ea-mach-e-tour-11-21-november.1985/post-57322). Couple that with Mike Levine tweeting his assurance that Ford will hit their range estimates and I'm quite happy with where they are. Of course, the sooner Ford releases the official range estimates the better!
The EPA document is not leaked or unreleased, it is public information posted there. The results may be a worst case, but filed to get the emissions certification required for a salable vehicle.
Many times, emissions certifications cover a family of vehicles with the same powertrain. For example, the Chevy Blazer with a 3.6L engine and 9 sp trans FWD is covered by a longer wheelbase, heavier, Chevy Traverse 3.6L 9 sp AWD. So worst case for emissions, but the Blazer has its own fuel economy data in the EPA test car list data, CAFE rating, and fueleconomy.gov - label ratings for the actual vehicle model.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
I've been quite satisfied with the reports from the Mach E Tour that the regional office's Mach E is starting out a full charge showing a 300 mile range and then showing ~270 mile range after driving 1.5 hours on interstates, mostly at 70+ mph,
I didn't see that, but if true that concerns me even more. So you're saying the range showed 300 when full, and then about 270 after driving 100+ miles???? Something very funky is going on with the range estimate in that car if that is the case.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
I didn't see that, but if true that concerns me even more. So you're saying the range showed 300 when full, and then about 270 after driving 100+ miles???? Something very funky is going on with the range estimate in that car if that is the case.
The 270 is combined, already driven and range left......;)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe the car started on the top of Pikes Peak? ?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
It's because the Ford Rep did ONLY highway driving at 75 mph, according to his statement in the video ChasingCoral posted.
That's going to lower the range below initial calculations, which probably initially assumed a city/highway mixture.

When you're going all highway at 75, expect your range to drop a little bit in an EV. The consensus seems to be about 10%.

If he was doing ONLY city driving all the time, I'd expect the total range estimate to increase up to around 330.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The EPA document is not leaked or unreleased, it is public information posted there. The results may be a worst case, but filed to get the emissions certification required for a salable vehicle.
Many times, emissions certifications cover a family of vehicles with the same powertrain. For example, the Chevy Blazer with a 3.6L engine and 9 sp trans FWD is covered by a longer wheelbase, heavier, Chevy Traverse 3.6L 9 sp AWD. So worst case for emissions, but the Blazer has its own fuel economy data in the EPA test car list data, CAFE rating, and fueleconomy.gov - label ratings for the actual vehicle model.
My apologies on misusing the word "leaked". My point was simply this: you took a document found in the EPA's files and calculated what that might mean for range. It was not an official Ford value.

As I said, I'm glad you found it. We've been working off a lack of information, so scrounging this up gave us more than we had. It prompted a response from Ford. While I don't dispute your calculations from the filed certificate, I trust Ford when they say they will meet their target.

I really wish Ford would just get around to releasing the news!

OP
OP
EVmodeler

EVmodeler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER IB Job 1
Occupation
Engr Prof emeritus
Country flag
My apologies on misusing the word "leaked". My point was simply this: you took a document found in the EPA's files and calculated what that might mean for range. It was not an official Ford value.

As I said, I'm glad you found it. We've been working off a lack of information, so scrounging this up gave us more than we had. It prompted a response from Ford. While I don't dispute your calculations from the filed certificate, I trust Ford when they say they will meet their target.

I really wish Ford would just get around to releasing the news!
Me too!! Soon, as we keep saying.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Not at all strange. A simplistic range based on no destination information that says you have 300 miles of charge is somewhat meaningless. Such a guessometer is all we in the Leaf world have. It's based on your recent driving. The car doesn't know where you are going when you first turn it on.

If the Mach E navigation system works like they say it will, then once you enter a destination and a route is calculated, then it can estimate the real-world range based on the roadway. If you then drive on a 65 mph but drive 75, it will adjust again.

A 300 mile EPA range will be significantly less at 75 mph.
Sponsored