First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
On a related point, wonder what mode the EPA results were based on - Engage (default) or Whisper?
According to the owner's manual, EPA results would be the same in all three modes. The modes affect lighting, animation, sound, steering feel, and pedal mapping. But they don't directly affect how much power is used to spin the wheels or how much regen can occur.
Sponsored

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Very true, I could close to 50 mpg in my Escape hybrid (over a full tank) when I worked at it. That was good training for an electric (or any vehicle if you care about range/mpg.)

Has different power yes and different regen.
How you personally drive the mache is going to matter more. Same as an ICE vehicle. People give Ev a hard time well only thins much range. If you are driving an ice vehicle and driving it hard you also don't get the Recommended EPA also.

Our own personal driving style will have a bigger role than anything. I drove a tesla model Y last week and was supposed to get 320 something miles. We got around 203 with less than 10% battery left. No, I was not driving nice. So goes to show you, weather and driving style will play a big role.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
According to the owner's manual, EPA results would be the same in all three modes. The modes affect lighting, animation, sound, steering feel, and pedal mapping. But they don't directly affect how much power is used to spin the wheels or how much regen can occur.
In his visit to Jay Leno's Garage, Jim Farley said that Whisper mode would be a max-range situation. Somebody's wrong. Is it the CEO or the manual?

At 14:28, Farley says that "Unbridled is for maximum acceleration and Whisper is for really gliding maximum range".

Last edited:

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Typically the manual, but I think that whisper mode in a way trains/coaxes the driver to hypermile more than the other modes, thereby could produce better range.

In his visit to Jay Leno's Garage, Jim Farley said that Whisper mode would be a max-range situation. Somebody's wrong. Is it the CEO or the manual?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
If you take the driver out of the loop and replace it with efficiency test equipment, then Farley is wrong.

If you include a driver then it depends on the person. Some will drive more efficiently than others. And Ford is predicting that drivers will choose to drive more efficiently in Whisper than in Unbridled.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Well, the CEO was wrong talking to jay leno then lol.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yeah he made a few mistakes, and the situation was awkward for him. I would have made a lot more mistakes being in the spotlight with a famous person like that

It seemed like Leno was asking good questions but that they didn't do a dry run first.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
very likely IMO. I know the CEO's of the company I've worked for don't know the product nearly well as the rank and file, and certainly some engineers reviewed the manual.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes I've heard that too, that would make the MME the only one in that situation has in all other cars changing from ECO, NORMAL and SPORT does have an instaneous impact on the GOM range estimate. If I'm not mistaken Ford CEO said on that Jay Leno's Garage Show that WHISPER would be giving you the max range.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Yep Darren said many times range was not affected. I watched so many webinars and Darren was asked this very question about 100 times and everytime he came back and said no it does not affect range.

Last edited:

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Typically the manual, but I think that whisper mode in a way trains/coaxes the driver to hypermile more than the other modes, thereby could produce better range.
Yes but if it does so it should show immediately on the GOM like in other caRrs.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yep Darren said many times range was not affected. I watched so many webinars and Darren was asked this very question about 100 times and everytime he came back and said no it does not affect range.
However, at least once Darren also said driving in Unbridled might encourage you to drive in a more animated way than Whisper.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Our own personal driving style will have a bigger role than anything. I drove a tesla model Y last week and was supposed to get 320 something miles. We got around 203 with less than 10% battery left. No, I was not driving nice. So goes to show you, weather and driving style will play a big role.
While true, I still contend all that's mostly moot for most people. Driving style mostly matters for city driving (hard starts, how much regen, which drive modes, etc). Those things can hurt city range. But city range doesn't really matter much for most people that just charge at home at night and have plenty of range for a day around home.

Where range matters for most people is on long road trips, which is typically at high speed steady cruising most of the way. Where driving style barely impacts it.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Thinking out loud here: What if the delay for the EPA numbers on the California Route 1 trim is because Ford is trying to stretch it (by tweaking, opening up more battery, etc.) to beat the Model Y Long Range's 326 miles.

At 3.5 miles/kWh that would only require another 7.5 kWh.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
However, at least once Darren also said driving in Unbridled might encourage you to drive in a more animated way than Whisper.
Other than making sounds, I assume the driving modes only affect acceleration and deceleration. For deceleration, pressing the brake normally (i.e. not jamming it hard) should simple engage regen. Which is the same thing that 1P or an aggressive driving mode does. The only difference should be how much it automatically does for you. But either way it's regen, so no effect on mileage.

Does it actually do anything for acceleration? Add power? Make the pedal kick in more with less push?
Sponsored