Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD, 2016 Audi A3
Occupation
Retired government
Country flag
I just saw this graphic from Recurrent this morning. This will help illustrate--for the inevitable questions-- why someone's car is not performing like it did in the summer; at least, for those of us who live in the hell of winter.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage Graphic for Future Cold Weather Complaints File Mar 04, 9 16 15 AM
Sponsored

FullyCharged

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 MME Premium AWD ER (ordered)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Country flag
https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/winter-ev-range-loss

The original article actual gives a much better picture… note the difference in auto manufacturer predicted cold weather range vs observed range. Mach-e definitely takes more of a hit but actually better reflects reality than what another major EV player represents.

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Recurrent Auto's data is taken directly from the GOM, and I have found the GOM to be hilariously pessimistic, especially during Winter. Not that this data is invalid, but at least for the Mach-E, it's reporting on estimated range rather than observed range.

To pull a quote from the article linked by
@FullyCharged :
Note that the range losses are based on on-board telematics and reflect the OEMs proprietary range calculations and software.

OP
OP
Flint302

Flint302

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD, 2016 Audi A3
Occupation
Retired government
Country flag
Just read that article. I took that chart from a different article that was reprinted. My big "takeaway" from that is something I never thought of: disabling the automatic side view mirror retract in freezing weather--as it may freeze folded. I imagine that would not be good for the motors.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Except they are taking all of their data from the GOMs, including all the mistakes and omissions made in those calculations.

FullyCharged

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 MME Premium AWD ER (ordered)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Country flag
Read the original article. Calls out Tesla pretty directly that their GOM is absurdly overstating the winter range and observed range is much, much different. A rather shoddy job by Axios that cherry picked data and revisualized it without a clue of the real takeaways In the original article and dataset.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Wow the MME is one of the worst.
No, it isn't. The way they conducted that study is idiotic. The data is effectively useless. All you have to do to "win" is configure the car to ignore temperature in its range calculations. Like Tesla does.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
So, are people saying that the Mustang Mach E GOM is overly pessimistic in Winter? For example, right now, it's claiming I'm going to get 139 miles at 80% (summer time, I'd be getting about 210). In reality, If I drove it down to close to 0%, I'd get much more than 139 miles?

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
So, are people saying that the Mustang Mach E GOM is overly pessimistic in Winter? For example, right now, it's claiming I'm going to get 139 miles at 80% (summer time, I'd be getting about 210). In reality, If I drove it down to close to 0%, I'd get much more than 139 miles?
Yes, that’s correct. Even in summer the GOM is very pessimistic.

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
I can guarantee the leaf takes a MUCH larger hit; as does the model 3. Reasoning - direct ownership experience.
This graphic is fucking useless.

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Next time you drive a moderate distance, note how far you can travel in 10%, 20%, etc. of charge. I went almost 50 miles round trip yesterday in 15% (extrapolates to over 320mi per 100%) and my GOM says I'll only get 235mi. This is with CSP 21P22 for "improved cold weather range" as well.