Mileage Graphic for Future Cold Weather Complaints

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
So, are people saying that the Mustang Mach E GOM is overly pessimistic in Winter? For example, right now, it's claiming I'm going to get 139 miles at 80% (summer time, I'd be getting about 210). In reality, If I drove it down to close to 0%, I'd get much more than 139 miles?
We’ll there’s one sure way to find out. ;)

*Don’t try this at home.*
Sponsored

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It literally is. Love the car, but my range drops from about 240 in the summer to 140 in the winter. This is the most honest thing I have seen in a while!
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but don't just blindly accept the range figures displayed on your dash. If you pay attention to how many miles you can actually travel in a given amount of battery percentage, you will likely see that you can go much farther than the GOM says. Aside from that, scheduling departure times for preconditioning and using heated seats rather than cabin heating will also give you a significant winter range boost.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
So, are people saying that the Mustang Mach E GOM is overly pessimistic in Winter? For example, right now, it's claiming I'm going to get 139 miles at 80% (summer time, I'd be getting about 210). In reality, If I drove it down to close to 0%, I'd get much more than 139 miles?
Yes.

My limited experience is this:
In the first week we had the Mustang, we drove a 220 mile round trip. We started at 100% with a predicted range of 220 miles. The temperatures were below 0C at the start location, at the turn-around, and all along the route. We descended from ~7000 ft to ~4000 ft and then back to ~7000 ft in both directions (so, 7000 ft -> 4000 ft -> 7000 ft; turnaround; -> 4000 ft -> 7000 ft). We traveled at highway speeds, +- 5 mph for most of the trip, but did accelerate hard to pass several people in both directions.

When we got to our turnaround point (110 miles), we had used an estimated 33% of the battery and had an estimated range of 140 miles.

We decided not to recharge at our turnaround.

When we got home, we'd driven 220 miles and had used an estimated 67% of the battery and had an GOM-predicted 75 miles further range.

At almost any point in the trip, if we did the math from the Stress-o-Meter, we should have run out of battery or drawn it down to 0%.

Doing the math using the miles traveled and the used % of the battery, at our turnaround we should have had 223 miles range remaining (so 333 miles total range). At home, using the miles traveled and the % remaining battery, we should have had 108 miles remaining for a total of 328 miles range.

MachErik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue MME SR AWD
Country flag
Just read that article. I took that chart from a different article that was reprinted. My big "takeaway" from that is something I never thought of: disabling the automatic side view mirror retract in freezing weather--as it may freeze folded. I imagine that would not be good for the motors.

I've had two vehicles with this function both would have been made from mid 90's design. I've parked both in Canadian winters outside in near minus 20°C and they have never broken or frozen in place. I could always move them manually. If they Mach-E mirrors break or freeze from around freezing Temps that's just sad.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Except they are taking all of their data from the GOMs, including all the mistakes and omissions made in those calculations.
Tesla folks are having a field day with this "study." My first suspicion that this was garbage was when I saw the graph depicting Teslas getting anywhere close to EPA range.

83girl

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE Premium
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
You can’t be serious
Let me guess....you live in a warmer state? Say Florida, California, Texas? You all need to get real about the Ford battery technology.

83girl

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE Premium
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Yes.

My limited experience is this:
In the first week we had the Mustang, we drove a 220 mile round trip. We started at 100% with a predicted range of 220 miles. The temperatures were below 0C at the start location, at the turn-around, and all along the route. We descended from ~7000 ft to ~4000 ft and then back to ~7000 ft in both directions (so, 7000 ft -> 4000 ft -> 7000 ft; turnaround; -> 4000 ft -> 7000 ft). We traveled at highway speeds, +- 5 mph for most of the trip, but did accelerate hard to pass several people in both directions.

When we got to our turnaround point (110 miles), we had used an estimated 33% of the battery and had an estimated range of 140 miles.

We decided not to recharge at our turnaround.

When we got home, we'd driven 220 miles and had used an estimated 67% of the battery and had an GOM-predicted 75 miles further range.

At almost any point in the trip, if we did the math from the Stress-o-Meter, we should have run out of battery or drawn it down to 0%.

Doing the math using the miles traveled and the used % of the battery, at our turnaround we should have had 223 miles range remaining (so 333 miles total range). At home, using the miles traveled and the % remaining battery, we should have had 108 miles remaining for a total of 328 miles range.
Says the guy who lives in Arizona....give me a break! Anyone on this board from Michigan, New York, Canada or Maine who can actually GET REAL about the Ford battery in cold weather? Let me just say I am glad I have a garage for this car!

FullyCharged

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 MME Premium AWD ER (ordered)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Country flag
Another warm weather state patron I assume?
i think the point people are trying to make is that the MME is not one of the worst based on experience with other EV’s. The articles are all based on the range estimates provided by the auto manufacturers so if the MME is conservative but another manufacturer is aggressive it gets to be a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Winter range reduction is a real thing and can be substantial including with the MME. No one is arguing with that. But the article data cannot support the relative drops that will actually occur across the referenced vehicles, just the relative predictions each manufacturer uses in their own GOM.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Another warm weather state patron I assume?
Never live anywhere that coconut palms can't grow without artificial means, ;)

Summer Range in Hawaii AWD ER: 325 miles.
Winter Range in Hawaii AWD ER: 320 miles.*

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage Graphic for Future Cold Weather Complaints 1646446076672

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage Graphic for Future Cold Weather Complaints 1646446109527

* Unless you live on the western flank of Maunakea. In that event your ranges are 205 miles and 198 miles. **

** Guess-O-Meter estimate Only. Your actual range will be higher.***

*** Unless you're leadfooted too.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Says the guy who lives in Arizona....give me a break! Anyone on this board from Michigan, New York, Canada or Maine who can actually GET REAL about the Ford battery in cold weather? Let me just say I am glad I have a garage for this car!
Obviously lower temperatures reduce battery capacity and thus range. That's not being argued.

83girl

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE Premium
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
i think the point people are trying to make is that the MME is not one of the worst based on experience with other EV’s. The articles are all based on the range estimates provided by the auto manufacturers so if the MME is conservative but another manufacturer is aggressive it gets to be a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Winter range reduction is a real thing and can be substantial including with the MME. No one is arguing with that. But the article data cannot support the relative drops that will actually occur across the referenced vehicles, just the relative predictions each manufacturer uses in their own GOM.
I am ? percent with you on this, don't get me wrong. I have a neighbor with a Tesla and they get about the same range as me in the winter. 150 miles. The funny thing is, they have the extended range ? ?. I just think that the manufacturer needs to be more, how do I say, honest, about the range of the battery in cold temperatures. We didn't get above freezing the entire month of January. It's brutal on the battery. I would not recommend any EV in cold climates if you don't have a garage. Full stop. You also need to trickle charge 120v, 3 kw per hour. It always need to be plugged in when not in use. Period. It's just a lot to deal with. However, and I happy I don't have to pay $4 per gallon. You betcha. Is the the funnest car I have ever driven? Absolutely. Does Ford need to improve their battery technology?You bet!
Sponsored