Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Hi All

I am charging my Mach e to 80%. I live in the Chicago land area. In the warmer months I was getting about 275 miles on an 80% charge. I have noticed that the mileage has continued to drop now that we are in the colder season. I just charged last night to 80% and I only have 221 miles from that charge level.

I use the level 2 charge that came with the car and I charge in the garage. It was warmer here yesterday (around 55) the temp n my garage was probably between 45 - 55.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the replies and Happy Thanksgiving!

Dan
Sponsored

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Electric mileage is an estimate. Cold weather decreses mileage on every electric car.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, that is normal. My GT has an EPA rating of 270 miles of range. Last winter I was getting 180 at 100% in the coldest months.

Speed has a big impact also. Because I do a lot of highway driving, my estimated range is typically around 240 at 100% in the summer.

By the way, the same is true for gas powered cars, but people don't tend to notice the winter range hit.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Hi All

I am charging my Mach e to 80%. I live in the Chicago land area. In the warmer months I was getting about 275 miles on an 80% charge. I have noticed that the mileage has continued to drop now that we are in the colder season. I just charged last night to 80% and I only have 221 miles from that charge level.

I use the level 2 charge that came with the car and I charge in the garage. It was warmer here yesterday (around 55) the temp n my garage was probably between 45 - 55.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the replies and Happy Thanksgiving!

Dan
Your 275 at 80% yields 344 at 100%. You obviously do a great amount of local driving, getting around 3.8 miles per kilowatt.

You've only experienced a 20% drop so far. You'll find it drops further as winter hits, expect closer to 40% drop. In local driving, your use of heat will really impact that range. Use the heated seats and steering wheel if range matters. And, consider charging to 90% each night. Use remote start for local driving to warm the cabin, seats, and steering wheel. If range doesn't matter, then keep doing whatever works for you.

Womps

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E & 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Super
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I notice in most of the threads that low temperatures are talked about hardly ever is actual temperature mentioned or it will be mentioned by driving in sub freezing temperatures. Well 31 degrees is sub freezing. Even in the road tests they seldom mention actual temperatures. Hot, warm, cool, and cold have totally different meanings to different people. Until this year we were Arizona Snowbirds from Canada. If it was 60 degrees outside I still considered it warm, native Arizonans from the greater Phoenix area called it cold. If we are talking about temperatures affecting driving range we should mention the temperatures rather than hot, warm, cool, cold.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I notice in most of the threads that low temperatures are talked about hardly ever is actual temperature mentioned or it will be mentioned by driving in sub freezing temperatures. Well 31 degrees is sub freezing. Even in the road tests they seldom mention actual temperatures. Hot, warm, cool, and cold have totally different meanings to different people. Until this year we were Arizona Snowbirds from Canada. If it was 60 degrees outside I still considered it warm, native Arizonans from the greater Phoenix area called it cold. If we are talking about temperatures affecting driving range we should mention the temperatures rather than hot, warm, cool, cold.
What is relevant is what is cold for the battery. I think anything below 70 F is cold for the battery, and the lower you go, the bigger the impact. IMO the biggest impact is E-Heat, which is related to your points about personal preference.

Last night I did a 2.5 hour drive with the outside temps starting at 45 and dropping below 40 as I neared home. I never used the E-Heat and only used the steering wheel and seat heaters. I felt it was comfortable inside the car but my wife would not have agreed. She was not with me.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I felt it was comfortable inside the car but my wife would not have agreed. She was not with me.
So the question is whether you were comfortable due to the climate in the car, or because your wife wasn't in the car with you?

Don't look now, but she's watching you type your answer. o_O

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Lots of information in these 2 threads:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage reduction when charging to desired percentage colder temps 1669315003908
Sponsored