Miles Per KW. Post up what you getting.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
If someone wants a bit more detail on the variance different legs of a road trip can have, here's a log of the charging stops for a road trip we took a few weeks ago, from our home a bit north of Denver to Las Vegas in our First Edition (AWD ER). I-70 to I-15.

Overall average miles/kWh (MPK) was 2.6. Mostly 75-80 MPH driving. Temps were usually mild, except for a few morning legs in the 30F-40F range. Most charging was at EA, but each direction had one overnight stop where we got free charging at nearby ChargePoint chargers (where we filled to 100% for the next morning).

Elevation changes made a big difference on some stretches in CO and UT, so I included that.

1620258532784.png
This is interesting to me since I live in Denver, I'm guessing you're somewhere on the Front Range based on elevation and distance.

Just curious what do you get for MPK if you drive up to say Frisco\Breck\Vail and back home? I would assume would be bad coming up but maybe even out coming down ?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is interesting to me since I live in Denver, I'm guessing you're somewhere on the Front Range based on elevation and distance.

Just curious what do you get for MPK if you drive up to say Frisco\Breck\Vail and back home? I would assume would be bad coming up but maybe even out coming down ?
Yep, I'm north of Denver (up in the Firestone area), not far off I-25.

You can see the first leg out and the last leg back for the to/from Frisco trek. I was surprised I got 2.5 MPK on the way up. I would have though that would be worse for a 4200' climb. That was like 9am too, and still a bit chilly (~40F). Used 38 kWh to go the 96 miles up, and only 25 kWh for the same 96 miles back down.

On the return, I think I used like 7% just to get the 10 miles from Frisco up to the Eisenhower Tunnel. But from there down to Golden it was pretty free (I think I actually gained 2%). But it's another 40 miles home from there for me (3.9 MPK overall on the way back from Frisco). If you were coming from somewhere like say, Sloans Lake, round trip to Breckenridge should be fine without needing any charge (if starting from 100%).

I was actually getting worse MPK in Utah at 80 MPH. The lower speeds through the mountains helped. Even just +/- 10 MPH makes a significant difference.

Last edited:

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Yep, I'm north of Denver (up in the Firestone area), not far off I-15.

You can see the first leg out and the last leg back for the to/from Frisco trek. I was surprised I got 2.5 MPK on the way up. I would have though that would be worse for a 4200' climb. That was like 9am too, and still a bit chilly (~40F). Used 38 kWh to go the 96 miles up, and only 25 kWh for the same 96 miles back down.

On the return, I think I used like 7% just to get the 10 miles from Frisco up to the Eisenhower Tunnel. But from there down to Golden it was pretty free (I think I actually gained 2%). But it's another 40 miles home from there for me (3.9 MPK overall on the way back from Frisco). If you were coming from somewhere like say, Sloans Lake, round trip to Breckenridge should be fine without needing any charge (if starting from 100%).

I was actually getting worse MPK in Utah at 80 MPH. The lower speeds through the mountains helped. Even just +/- 10 MPH makes a significant difference.
I'm in Highlands Ranch, I was hoping I'd be able to do day trips like Breck, Estes Park, Guenalla Pass, etc.. without having to charge. It sounds like it's do-able at least in decent road conditions

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm in Highlands Ranch, I was hoping I'd be able to do day trips like Breck, Estes Park, Guenalla Pass, etc.. without having to charge. It sounds like it's do-able at least in decent road conditions
Yeah, you should be fine in the 4X for those destinations in fair weather, if leaving home at 100%. You're looking at no more than maybe 160 RT miles for those. As you said, it pretty much evens out, burning a lot more going up but not much coming down. You could leave Breck at 30% and still make it home comfortably. It's a little unnerving watching the Battery% drop like a rock going up to the tunnel, but you use nothing from there down to Golden.

There's also EA at Denver West, or 470/Coal Mine if needing an emergency charge closer to home. Those are nice safety nets if the weather turns bad or you get stuck in traffic and burn more than expected. We had good traffic but not sure what it would be like during a bad traffic speeds, burning cabin heat for an extra half hour.

The Frisco EA worked fine too. By the time we went in to use the Walmart bathroom and came back out, we'd already added like 20%.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Yeah, you should be fine in the 4X for those destinations in fair weather, if leaving home at 100%. You're looking at no more than maybe 160 RT miles for those. As you said, it pretty much evens out, burning a lot more going up but not much coming down. You could leave Breck at 30% and still make it home comfortably. It's a little unnerving watching the Battery% drop like a rock going up to the tunnel, but you use nothing from there down to Golden.

There's also EA at Denver West, or 470/Coal Mine if needing an emergency charge closer to home. Those are nice safety nets if the weather turns bad or you get stuck in traffic and burn more than expected. We had good traffic but not sure what it would be like during a bad traffic speeds, burning cabin heat for an extra half hour.

The Frisco EA worked fine too. By the time we went in to use the Walmart bathroom and came back out, we'd already added like 20%.
Thanks for all the info and tips. It seems like they should add one in Idaho Springs, there's a Tesla Supercharger there and that's always a good dinner \ pit stop place.

Right in the Beau Jos parking lot ;)

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I posted this in my aftermarket wheel thread (https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/aftermarket-wheels-are-always-my-first-mod.2875/) but thought afterwards, it might be useful for someone if I posted it in this thread.

Three months of driving my Mach-E 4X Premium UPDATE:

Several members here have wanted to know how my range has been affected with the larger wheels and tires I installed when I had just 200 miles on the odometer. To recap, I changed out the OEM premium wheels and tires for Signature SV706 wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tires. Wheels specs front 20x8.5, rear 20x10. Tire specs front 255/45/20, rear 295/40/20. My new setup is a total of 14 lbs less than the OEM setup.

I took the screenshots below yesterday. TRIP 2 is the total miles I have on the car (about 3500 with the new set up). TRIP 1 is what I have driven in the past 8 days. This was from my home in Sonora, CA to Yosemite National Park for two days, then to my parents in SF bay area for Father's day weekend, then to Sacramento to do a photo shoot with Terrance (Signature wheels), then to a friends in Folsom for two days and came back home today. THIS TRIP was the miles I drove from my Friends home in Folsom to my house this afternoon.

As you can see, I seem to hover around 3.0 mi/kWh. When I got the car in April, outside temps were around 45˚ and now it has warmed up to around 100˚ for the last few weeks. I have the AC always set to around 72˚ and I only use unbridled mode with one pedal drive turned on. I never use cruise control and my driving averages around 40% city, 60% highway. The much wider, stickier tires has been somewhat offset by the reduction of total weight of the new wheel/tire setup. I don't baby the car when I drive and I live in a mountainous area so I am always going up and down hills.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Miles Per KW.  Post up what you getting. IMG_5122

Ford Mustang Mach-E Miles Per KW.  Post up what you getting. IMG_5121

Ford Mustang Mach-E Miles Per KW.  Post up what you getting. IMG_5120

Last edited:

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Rolling around town in my 2wd Select I have been averaging 4.1 or better. Windows down and climate off as the weather is perfect.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Miles Per KW.  Post up what you getting. IMG_5120
Ford Mustang Mach-E Miles Per KW.  Post up what you getting. 20210618_202156

This is for an AWD Select running around the Westchester/Putnam/Dutchess Co area just north of NYC.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's too bad the Trip meters don't include average speed (minus stops). That makes a massive difference in the MPK numbers.

Blackbluff

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tracking KWh and other expenses on a Premium standard battery RWD per attached spreadsheet/ We pay $0.095 per KW in West Tennessee.

Attachments

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Select AWD. Commute 88 miles a day and varies from 3.7-3.9 miles/KWH with occasionally 4.1 (those days I’ve a 15-20 knot tailwind in the late afternoon). I also use 33% of battery per day, very consistent. The road has occasional small hills and winding areas. Pretty hard to average more than 44-45 mph. One long straight section and two slow urban areas. Our power rates are $.0634/KWH so my daily use averages about 1.62 cents per mile. I figure my annual cost around $314 for about 22,000 miles.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
ER AWD premium with 4k miles on car. life time average is 3.5 m/kwh Daily drive on the highway at 60mph, 70 miles every day. There is a 1000 foot hill at the start of my commute.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I just hit 2500 miles and my lifetime average is 4.1 m/kWh.
Sponsored