Ajax

First Name
Ajax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue 4x Extended
Country flag
I had two weeks to myself while the wife and kids were visiting the in-laws, but I was getting bored and had some PTO to burn, so I surprised them by making a huge road trip out there to see them (and the in-laws) during the 4th of July weekend. I wanted to do a "dry run" of the trip alone because my kids are 4 and 6 and are not yet ready for multiple days of car travel, but it's a trip we might try next summer or the following one. I wanted to see if the Mach-E was comfy enough for me to sit in all day (check) and how much of a pain a longer trip would be (short answer: not bad at all).

Background: I was pretty reticent to make this trip in the first place with all of the HVBJB stuff posted on here in the last few weeks. I knew I'd be fast charging for 2-3 days straight each way and that L2 charging would be rare. I decided to do it anyway since, as mentioned, I was alone and wouldn't be bringing the whole family along for any unfortunate car issues that might crop up. For additional context, my Mach-E is extended range AWD and I sort of decided on a whim to go, so I didn't have time to get in for the dealer-based recall fix. I started with about 7.5k miles and ended with 10.5k miles.

Route: I planned out the route via ABRP and Apple Maps, but halfway through the outbound journey I ditched my "official" plans and trusted Apple Maps for the rest of the trip. Worked great with CarPlay and never led me astray. I think there was just one time where I wanted a supplemental charge for a leg, and the Ford nav was good at locating a charger for me.

I would NOT do this for a trip that wasn't 95%+ interstate driving—I'd still want a plan for anything that's well off the grid. I live in Minnesota and in some areas DCFC is only available every 1-2 hours, so you need to plan ahead. For example, I can get to my mom's house in northern MN starting with a full charge, but once I'm there I'd need to spend several hours at a L2 to get to a comfortable daily use level, so it's better to DCFC up to 60-70% halfway there so that I don't have to worry about daily use. But on this trip there were plenty of EA stations at Sheets or Walmart. I used EA exclusively, which was nice since I had the full 250kWh balance to burn. I think I spent a total of $100 on charging and half that on tolls for the entire trip. Most "fill-ups" at EA were between $10 and $15, and I was generally doing 20%>80% or 30% > 80% SoC. I was surprised at how fast I charged (even using just the 150 kW exclusively)—I was thinking I'd have time to go eat at a restaurant etc., but most stops were around 20-25 minutes total.

Stops
I am a bigger fella and like to get out and stretch my legs. I also don't like being in the car ALL day. I originally wanted to do the (24 driving hours) trip in 2 days, but after the first day (Minneapolis > Toledo, OH), I opted for 2.5 days each way to spread it out and not sit in the car as much. I also don't like night driving, so I generally drove from around 8-9 am to 8-9 pm with stops for meals, biobreaks, charging etc. I found I didn't really mind the DCFC stops and ended up liking them since I got to chat with folks including a new Lightning owner (see below), Mach-E owners, etc. I probably wouldn't do this trip in the winter, though.

Some takeaways:
  • Bluecruise was pretty great overall. I had to get used to it centering me slightly to the right of where I'd normally be in lanes, but sometimes it just had to ping-pong a bit before settling into a good groove.
  • That said, there are times when I deliberately turned off Bluecruise, e.g. passing semis or when there was a lot of traffic or construction.
  • Hotels that list EV charging generally do not have EV charging in practice, at least in my limited experience. If you know you want to get going early in the AM without charging first, it's best to charge up before you arrive at a hotel. More info: a hotel I stayed at around DC had 3 chargers that were all Level 1 and didn't work as well as a few Tesla-specific ones that were already occupied by Teslas. A second hotel in Milwaukee on the way back advertised EV charging and only had 1 Tesla tap.
  • I only saw a few Mach-Es on the road but plenty at DCFC stations!
  • Overall this is a very capable road trip car. I drove the mileage equivalent of Seattle to New York over 5 days and loved it!
Tips from others and from me re: DCFC "best practices" for not overheating. Disclaimer: your mileage may vary and I have no idea if these helped, but they certainly didn't hurt and I made it there and back without issues. I don't think these will be as necessary after the recall fix, but just wanted to put them out there in case anyone else is in the same boat and can't get the OTA/recall before a longer trip in the next few days/weeks. I think it also helped that it was hot but not too hot—most days were in the 70s-low 90s, but nothing about 93º during either part of the trip.
  • avoid fast acceleration and speeds (>80mph) 5 mins before and after DCFC — avoid fast acceleration in general, but this isn't always possible
  • if it's hot out, wait 5 mins before starting DCFC and 5 mins after DCFC
  • (questionable) remote start car so battery "vents" open and continue cooling battery — not sure if this is legit, just something I noticed when doing a remote start recently
  • use whisper when getting on/off freeways after DCFC, wait a few minutes before going back up to Engage/Unbridled
  • keep speeds under 80mph generally
A few pics from the trip. I saw my first Iced Blue Silver Metallic and it looked great next to my Infinite Blue!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Minnesota to Virginia and back...pre-recall fix! 3k mile trip report IMG_0901

I helped a new Lightning owner do their first DCFC! He had purchased it on Friday, this was from Sunday. The truck looks great.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Minnesota to Virginia and back...pre-recall fix! 3k mile trip report IMG_0949

Mach-E trifecta somewhere off the Ohio turnpike:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Minnesota to Virginia and back...pre-recall fix! 3k mile trip report IMG_0936

Look who decided to park next to me outside my hotel in Toledo!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Minnesota to Virginia and back...pre-recall fix! 3k mile trip report IMG_0900

Efficiency of 3.5 mi/kWh for the first leg of the trip. 2nd leg was pretty similar.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Minnesota to Virginia and back...pre-recall fix! 3k mile trip report IMG_0934

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
Nice write up. I'm finding with both BlueCruise and Adaptive that the car needs to go to the right side for reference and then centers up after that. I used to drive to position it back but it would still want to go right. After letting car do it's thing, it for the most part centers itself. Now, if you change lanes or disengage/re-engage, it needs to recenter again

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Sounds like a great trip, thanks for the awesome write up and photos! It's so cool that you encountered so many other Mach-E owners and even spotted a lightning.

Calipack

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.belessdickish.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, Lamborghinis C653L, C452, C230
Country flag
Great report. Great writing.

I recently did a 1800 mile trip. The charging and hotel experiences were similar to yours. Unfortunately, we bricked out with a HVBJB failure only 100 miles from home. We are optimistic that this will get resolved so we can get back on the road with our GT.

medicnj

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge, Ford Mach E Star White
Occupation
EMT
Country flag
excellent writeup. thanks for sharing. "21 job 1 premium awd 12k miles here

ElleD

First Name
Elle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium SR RWD; 2010 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Took a similar trip from Virginia (near DC) to Florida in early Spring for a total 2K miles round trip, with similar experiences. Never visited so many Wal-Marts together in my life!!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Minnesota to Virginia and back...pre-recall fix! 3k mile trip report A0F89407-112E-45A5-8374-F91913D9B1D3
I bought my MME remotely from Connecticut. Was going to visit my daughter there and do a road trip back to South Florida, stopping off in Virginia (with a stay overnight and visit to DC) to put it on the auto train and get off in Orlando, drive the rest of the way. But I chickened out as a first time EV driver (and auto train) and put it on a transporter. Have you looked into the auto train as an alternative to driving all the way?

Killerkg

First Name
Kunal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Job 2
Occupation
Finance
Took a similar trip from Virginia (near DC) to Florida in early Spring for a total 2K miles round trip, with similar experiences. Never visited so many Wal-Marts together in my life!!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Minnesota to Virginia and back...pre-recall fix! 3k mile trip report A0F89407-112E-45A5-8374-F91913D9B1D3
Hahah, same here. I did the same trip from Orlando to DC, many many Walmarts on the way

Killerkg

First Name
Kunal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
I bought my MME remotely from Connecticut. Was going to visit my daughter there and do a road trip back to South Florida, stopping off in Virginia (with a stay overnight and visit to DC) to put it on the auto train and get off in Orlando, drive the rest of the way. But I chickened out as a first time EV driver (and auto train) and put it on a transporter. Have you looked into the auto train as an alternative to driving all the way?
Incidentally I did take the car on the auto train, I live in DC so took the car one way to Florida on auto train, and drove it on the way back

20220401_145654.jpg

ElleD

First Name
Elle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium SR RWD; 2010 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Incidentally I did take the car on the auto train, I live in DC so took the car one way to Florida on auto train, and drove it on the way back

Ford Mustang Mach-E Minnesota to Virginia and back...pre-recall fix! 3k mile trip report 20220401_145654
Thank you for sharing this picture, I was wondering how this worked. I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have, would really enjoy reading your thread on your experiences with the auto train, should you feel motivated to create one :)

Killerkg

First Name
Kunal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Thank you for sharing this picture, I was wondering how this worked. I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have, would really enjoy reading your thread on your experiences with the auto train, should you feel motivated to create one :)
I would say, it worked very well. Auto train was easy enough, the only thing, is they ask all windows to be down, however due to the weather difference between DC and Florida, it creates a lot of moisture to come in, everything was wet inside when the car came out. Regarding the drive back, it was quite easy, I used ABRP for planning the trip, we took an overnight break in the middle and then headed back to DC. I also used the plugshare app a lot to make sure the chargers identified have good reviews and we're not broken.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
  • avoid fast acceleration and speeds (>80mph) 5 mins before and after DCFC — avoid fast acceleration in general, but this isn't always possible
  • if it's hot out, wait 5 mins before starting DCFC and 5 mins after DCFC
  • (questionable) remote start car so battery "vents" open and continue cooling battery — not sure if this is legit, just something I noticed when doing a remote start recently
  • use whisper when getting on/off freeways after DCFC, wait a few minutes before going back up to Engage/Unbridled
  • keep speeds under 80mph generally
I want to put it out there that there's no evidence to support doing any of those things as prevention to welding contactors. Personally, I do literally the opposite of all of those things. I have a GTPE, no recall software and DCFC multiple times a week on 3-6 hour drives. I use unbridled exclusively, never wait before or after charging, never precondition and go well over 80 for hours.

We have seen multiple failures on daily drivers that have never once used DCFC.

Keep doing whatever makes you feel comfortable, but don't count on those things mitigating the risk.