Minor Road Trip (~50 Miles), Cup Holder Incident

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Took the car, and my mom, out to drive around today, Orange county into LA county and back. Tried the intelligent cruise control, kind of liked it but felt strange being passed by all the other traffic. Mostly freeway, but about 25%-30% streets. The m/kWh started out great, 4.4 because of all the regen braking to get to the freeway. By the time we got to the halfway point, it at leveled out at 3.9. I was very happy with that.

Coming back, stopped for some lunch, a quick 15 minute stop. Left the engine on while we ate. AC, music, etc., and I did notice that the radiant heat from the glass roof was a bit warmer than the rest of the car. Ambient temperature was low 70s outside. Leaving, I noticed it was now at 3.7 m/kWh, still happy with that. But, as I was making a left turn onto the freeway, the small drink I had in the cupholder decided to keep going straight (i.e., to the right at the passenger seat, thank you inertia!). Luckily it was just ice at this point and I caught it before it hit my mom's legs. Drove the rest of the way home with a napkin wedged between the cup and the holder and my arm resting with my hand on top like it was a gear shift. I think that Ford assumed that Americans never get a drink smaller than a quart ?. My guess is a medium or larger would wedge better in the cup holder, and it would help if the cup holder was a bit deeper. But an overall nice drive today.

BTW, not wanting to kick the hornets nest, but on Friday I did a test fast DC charge and had a flawless plug & charge initiated from the Ford Pass app. Went from 70% to 80% in 9 minutes, around 70 kW that plummeted when it hit 80%. The charger was an EA 150 kW.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
think that Ford assumed that Americans never get a drink smaller than a quart ?
Quart? That is small. Anything under 64 oz qualifies as a kids sized drink. 128 ounces* baby! 419 grams of sugar or bust! My stomach hurts now ... ;)

Seriously, that’s interesting discovery.

* 3.785 liters for those using a post 13th century measuring system.

OP
OP
mdolan92869

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Quart? That is small. Anything under 64 oz qualifies as a kids sized drink. 128 ounces* baby! 419 grams of sugar or bust! My stomach hurts now ... ;)

Yeah, quite shocking. It was in the driver side spot and there's that gap between it and the passenger side spot. Not much support right there to hold it in place.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
as I was making a left turn onto the freeway, the small drink I had in the cupholder decided to keep going straight (i.e., to the right at the passenger seat, thank you inertia!). Luckily it was just ice at this point and I caught it before it hit my mom's legs. Drove the rest of the way home with a napkin wedged between the cup and the holder and my arm resting with my hand on top like it was a gear shift. I think that Ford assumed that Americans never get a drink smaller than a quart ?. My guess is a medium or larger would wedge better in the cup holder, and it would help if the cup holder was a bit deeper.
Sounds like there is a need for more adjustability in the cupholders.

BTW, not wanting to kick the hornets nest, but on Friday I did a test fast DC charge and had a flawless plug & charge initiated from the Ford Pass app. Went from 70% to 80% in 9 minutes, around 70 kW that plummeted when it hit 80%. The charger was an EA 150 kW.
Not surprised. I had multiple flawless sessions, also some with flaws. I think they are getting the bugs worked out of the P&C system.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Agree plug and charge seems to be coming along. My last two tries were flawless.

opus

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dwightbattle.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
UX/Product Designer
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Minor Road Trip (~50 Miles), Cup Holder Incident {filename}
Sponsored