Mixed results at dealer today on software updates...

PhillyYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium Extended
Country flag
I took my 2 week old 2022 premium to my dealer today to have a try at two things: Update expired maps for BlueCruise as the car was delivered with maps that had expired last October and also to see if they could update my Sync to 4.1.2. So the Sync update that they were so proud to accomplish got me from 3.5.3 to 3.5.3.3 LOL. No 4.1.2 in sight. I did have some success with the maps update in that now my maps expire April 2023. So its working (I think) but they will expire again in 3 months. Should I expect to get an OTA maps update before they expire again or will I have to go back to the dealer? They told me what they did, if I'm understanding them correctly, was cycle the ignition/start button 10 times which then triggers a download? I don't know really :-l
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I took my 2 week old 2022 premium to my dealer today to have a try at two things: Update expired maps for BlueCruise as the car was delivered with maps that had expired last October and also to see if they could update my Sync to 4.1.2. So the Sync update that they were so proud to accomplish got me from 3.5.3 to 3.5.3.3 LOL. No 4.1.2 in sight. I did have some success with the maps update in that now my maps expire April 2023. So its working (I think) but they will expire again in 3 months. Should I expect to get an OTA maps update before they expire again or will I have to go back to the dealer? They told me what they did, if I'm understanding them correctly, was cycle the ignition/start button 10 times which then triggers a download? I don't know really :-l
Yeah maps last 3 months and will automatically download when new ones are available

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Dealers can't install Power-Ups, so it's unsurprising that they wouldn't bring you to 4.1.2. This identifier is only relevant to updates delivered "over the air" (e.g. via the vehicle's AT&T and/or WiFi connections).

Firmware and calibration/configuration data are commonly loaded into vehicle modules in one of three ways (plus some uncommon/unsupported mechanisms such as Forscan):

• at the factory or as originally supplied
  • by a professional technician or otherwise licensed user through direct-cable connection and using Ford approved mechanisms such as FDRS
  • via wireless Internet (telecom and/or WiFi) based distribution from Ford servers

In all cases, module(s) are loaded with software, firmware, calibration, or configuration.

In the first two cases, modules can be updated one by one. Ford assigns part identifiers to every unique configuration item. The technicians can see these. We don't (generally speaking) see these. These are not the same as Power-Up identifiers. Your service technician directly updates modules without ever needing a "Power-Up" because he or she is using a completely different way of connecting to and managing the vehicle's systems.

For the wireless "OTA" case, Power-Up is simply referring to the installation package pushed down from Ford's internet server directly to the vehicle. Power-Up is the name marketing apparently approved for us to see, rather than something even geekier.

Within a Power-Up package are one or more files needed to update one or more modules, and a recipe for how to get from start to finish and what to do if something exceptional happens. It's very similar to the procedure and tooling that a technician would employ, but automated and managed by various computers in the vehicle.

OP
OP
PhillyYa

PhillyYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium Extended
Country flag
Dealers can't install Power-Ups, so it's unsurprising that they wouldn't bring you to 4.1.2. This identifier is only relevant to updates delivered "over the air" (e.g. via the vehicle's AT&T and/or WiFi connections).

Firmware and calibration/configuration data are commonly loaded into vehicle modules in one of three ways (plus some uncommon/unsupported mechanisms such as Forscan):

• at the factory or as originally supplied
  • by a professional technician or otherwise licensed user through direct-cable connection and using Ford approved mechanisms such as FDRS
  • via wireless Internet (telecom and/or WiFi) based distribution from Ford servers

In all cases, module(s) are loaded with software, firmware, calibration, or configuration.

In the first two cases, modules can be updated one by one. Ford assigns part identifiers to every unique configuration item. The technicians can see these. We don't (generally speaking) see these. These are not the same as Power-Up identifiers. Your service technician directly updates modules without ever needing a "Power-Up" because he or she is using a completely different way of connecting to and managing the vehicle's systems.

For the wireless "OTA" case, Power-Up is simply referring to the installation package pushed down from Ford's internet server directly to the vehicle. Power-Up is the name marketing apparently approved for us to see, rather than something even geekier.

Within a Power-Up package are one or more files needed to update one or more modules, and a recipe for how to get from start to finish and what to do if something exceptional happens. It's very similar to the procedure and tooling that a technician would employ, but automated and managed by various computers in the vehicle.
Ahh, ok. Interesting!

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
4.1.2 is not released at this point.

The EA people who have it should not be posting about it as non-EA people can’t access it yet.
Seeing as how Ford doesn’t tell you you’re getting the update due to being in EA, you’re not violating anything. If they put in the notes that you’re receiving it as part of EA, that may be a different story.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

The EA people who have it should not be posting about it as non-EA people can’t access it yet.
It is in fact released. Early access is not beta testing. There is no nda. Nice try though.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

Tell me you’re jealous without telling me you’re jealous 😂

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

EA is not a beta. As its name implies, it just gives EARLY ACCESS, so it puts SOME members at the front of the line to get the RELEASED software in the first wave.
Sponsored