MME as ski car - estimates for range loss due to cold yet?

efortune

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I have an FE on order that we're hoping to use as a ski car and was wondering if there's enough real world data yet to estimate range loss due to cold.

We're about 60 miles from the mountain we ski the most. Most days it would sit about 8 hours in mid-20's temperatures with an hour of climate control on (while we eat lunch).

It seems like the MME should have enough buffer _but_ I would love to be able to replace 'seems like' with some math.

Also a little concerned about reports of the car going dark in the cold but for the moment I'm assuming that's a bug that will resolved before long.

Any info appreciated.

Cheers,
Erik

Fwiw, there is a DC fast charger about halfway there so we won't get stranded, but it's not really practical to have to park and charge so we'd like to avoid it.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Most people say that you should plan on up to 50% reduction in range in the cold. If you add an hour of running the heat during lunch without moving, it might be close some days.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Good question...the tests I’ve seen have focused on range impact while driving, but the ski example adds the element of sitting in the cold, unplugged, all day. It’s something I need to know as well, I’ll run a test later this week...overnight temps should be close to 20 so I’ll just leave it outside, unplugged one night (starting with a 100% charge).

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
I have an FE on order that we're hoping to use as a ski car and was wondering if there's enough real world data yet to estimate range loss due to cold.

We're about 60 miles from the mountain we ski the most. Most days it would sit about 8 hours in mid-20's temperatures with an hour of climate control on (while we eat lunch).

It seems like the MME should have enough buffer _but_ I would love to be able to replace 'seems like' with some math.

Also a little concerned about reports of the car going dark in the cold but for the moment I'm assuming that's a bug that will resolved before long.

Any info appreciated.

Cheers,
Erik

Fwiw, there is a DC fast charger about halfway there so we won't get stranded, but it's not really practical to have to park and charge so we'd like to avoid it.
Not sure how many people you are transporting, but if >2, the Premiums/FEs have glass roofs which may or may not give you pause about mounting ski racks. Selects do not have the glass roof, but I don't believe they are available with the extended range battery.

lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
Should be fine, based on my ski weekend. And if it gets dicey you can DCFC for 5 minutes on the way back. Only concerns:
  • How fast you drive. If you're going 85 mph on the highway it'll chew up more battery than going 65.
  • How toasty you want the cabin during your hour of lunch. When my wife gets control of the climate settings we use 25% of our energy (while driving) on climate control. But my guess is that you won't actually want it that warm in the car if you're taking a break from skiing.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
I completed a test of this...unfortunately not actual skiing due to work, but letting it sit unplugged overnight in cold weather. The short answer is it did great and should have no issues being a ski car.

The long answer:

Here’s the temperature profile for this test. About 10 hours, starting at 33.5 and ending just under 21F. Kinda a reverse temperature profile for a nice spring skiing day. Temperature data was from a sensor about 20’ from the car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E MME as ski car - estimates for range loss due to cold yet? 1614180904470

Car is a premium, AWD, ER

Initial charge was 100%, indicated range was originally 204 but refreshing the app dropped that to 195. In the morning, charge was still 100% with the estimated range now 179. Not fully trusting it, I did a remote start, which bumped the range estimate (in the app still) up to 186. I let it precondition the car a bit, range dropped to 164 (battery still at 100%). Decided to take it for a short drive 15 minutes later...battery still at 100%, estimated range 177. Heater on auto, seat heaters on full (realistic ski test, right?!), 4.4 mile drive with two full throttle 0-60 accelerations, avg 2mi/kWh, 41% going to climate usage. End of test, battery still at 100% and estimated range at 167.

So, the numbers didn’t really change much, it gave me confidence in the estimates the car was giving all along. I doubt it’s really at 100%, but if you go by the range estimate you’ll be ok.

Ford Mustang Mach-E MME as ski car - estimates for range loss due to cold yet? 1614181582995

OP
OP

efortune

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to do that detailed test!

Assuming my MME arrives on schedule and my wife lets us accept (she's still on the fence), I'll report back here after our first ski weekend:)

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
A bigger issue than the temperature is how many of those 120 miles are up hill?
Sponsored