Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger and Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I understand I can get an adapter that would allow me to use a Tesla charge station. How would I pay for that? Do I need to open an account with Tesla? How?
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I understand I can get an adapter that would allow me to use a Tesla charge station. How would I pay for that? Do I need to open an account with Tesla? How?
search on here for "TeslaTap" - lots of posts.

most non-SuperCharger locations don't charge and can't tell if you're a Tesla or not. (The latest Destination Chargers can tell if you're not a Tesla, if they are set to care.)

OP
OP

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger and Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
search on here for "TeslaTap" - lots of posts.

most non-SuperCharger locations don't charge and can't tell if you're a Tesla or not. (The latest Destination Chargers can tell if you're not a Tesla, if they are set to care.)
The key is “TeslaTap”. I didn’t know what to call it.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Most Tesla "High Power Wall Connector" (the little silver AC charging boxes) can't tell whether you're a Tesla or not, they just charge. People make aftermarket bridging adapters, but I wouldn't use them, personally. The newest gen of Tesla AC charger can tell if you're a Tesla or not and decline to charge non-Teslas if the owner of the station programs it that way.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Most Tesla "High Power Wall Connector" (the little silver AC charging boxes) can't tell whether you're a Tesla or not, they just charge. People make aftermarket bridging adapters, but I wouldn't use them, personally. The newest gen of Tesla AC charger can tell if you're a Tesla or not and decline to charge non-Teslas if the owner of the station programs it that way.
You do realize that:

1. "Most ... can't tell whether you're a Tesla or not, they just charge"

and

2. "People make aftermarket bridging adapters, but I wouldn't use them, personally. The newest gen of Tesla AC charger can tell if you're a Tesla or not and decline to charge non-Teslas if the owner of the station programs it that way."

are inherently contradictory.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
You do realize that:

1. "Most ... can't tell whether you're a Tesla or not, they just charge"

and

2. "People make aftermarket bridging adapters, but I wouldn't use them, personally. The newest gen of Tesla AC charger can tell if you're a Tesla or not and decline to charge non-Teslas if the owner of the station programs it that way."

are inherently contradictory.
No, they're not contradictory.

Most HPWCs in the wild are not the latest gen, and therefore can not verify. Even the latest gen, the station owner would have had to set them to exclude non-Teslas, they come defaulted to open.

"Most Mustangs have live axles, but the newest gen have IRS" is an example of a similarly non-contradictory statement, because most Mustangs are not the newest gen.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Attached is the Gen3, which is white, and has wifi capability, allowing the user a wider range of options, as mentioned above. The previous versions are black or gray.

Screenshot_20210323-225201_Video Player.jpg

TheCats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y5Z
Country flag
This is (apparently) not quite the way the Wall Connectors work.

Tesla Wall Connectors will initially attempt two way communicate using Tesla's proprietary method, and will then fall back to the J1772 standard 1 KHz signalling. Only the latest generation Connectors have a jumper setting to disallow the fall-back signalling method.

Similarly the cars will respond to both the Tesla communication and standard J1772 1 KHz signal, which allows a passive ("wires" only) J1772 adapter.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
No, they're not contradictory.
Sure they are. Put it together. First you say you that most Tesla destination chargers don't verify and then you say you wouldn't personally use one because ""[t]he newest gen of Tesla AC charger can tell if you're a Tesla or not and decline to charge non-Teslas if the owner of the station programs it that way."

Or is "personally wouldn't use one" just a random non-sequitur, a statement of personal preference unconnected to the next sentence?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Sure they are. Put it together. First you say you that most Tesla destination chargers don't verify and then you say you wouldn't personally use one because ""[t]he newest gen of Tesla AC charger can tell if you're a Tesla or not and decline to charge non-Teslas if the owner of the station programs it that way."

Or is "personally wouldn't use one" just a random non-sequitur, a statement of personal preference unconnected to the next sentence?
It is indeed a recommendation not to buy the adapters, not at all because some latest gen chargers can tell, but rather because people using untrusted accessories that could damage their $50,000 car to get a $0.50 free charge somewhere is an insane concept, and honestly the TeslaTap people should have been sued into oblivion by now for using Tesla's name and their connector IP.

To recap:

• Most Tesla AC chargers will work with a TeslaTap
  • The latest generation may not, if the station owner configured it to lock out non-Teslas
  • Nobody but Teslas should be using these stations, period
  • TeslaTap is living on borrowed time once Tesla hires big boy lawyers
  • Our Mach-Es cost enough money that a janky third party adapter shouldn't come anywhere near em

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
It is indeed a recommendation not to buy the adapters, not at all because some latest gen chargers can tell, but rather because people using untrusted accessories that could damage their $50,000 car to get a $0.50 free charge somewhere is an insane concept, and honestly the TeslaTap people should have been sued into oblivion by now for using Tesla's name and their connector IP.
You didn't say that at all but OK I'll play. Can you cite an instance when the Tesla Tap damaged a non-Tesla vehicle?

Interesting idea on IP. Since Tesla makes a CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter, are you saying the CHAdeMO group can sue Tesla out of existence? Or is that somehow different?

Last edited:

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
You didn't say that at all but OK I'll play. Can you cite an instance when the Tesla Tap damaged a non-Tesla vehicle?

Interesting idea on IP. Since Tesla makes a CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter, are you saying the CHAdeMO group can sue Tesla out of existence? Or is that somehow different?
I didn't say it did damage a non-Tesla. I said I would never use one because it may.

Tesla licensed CHAdeMO for their adapter... so where would the suing come from?

Not sure where you're going with this, honestly. If you don't think someone could start selling "Mustang" floor mats and not get sued by Ford, you got another thing coming. Most real companies (except Tesla) have lawyers that defend their trademarks.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I didn't say it did damage a non-Tesla. I said I would never use one because it may.

Tesla licensed CHAdeMO for their adapter... so where would the suing come from?
An EA or EVgo or any charger MAY damage a non-Tesla. And you MAY get hit by lightening. Given that plenty of people have used TeslaTaps, and given that the destination charger is simply using standard J1772 signaling, difficult to see how "may" will turn into "will".

Where can we find information about Tesla licensing CHAdeMO?

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Mach-E GT, Taycan Turbo
Country flag

To recap:

• Most Tesla AC chargers will work with a TeslaTap
  • The latest generation may not, if the station owner configured it to lock out non-Teslas
  • Nobody but Teslas should be using these stations, period
  • TeslaTap is living on borrowed time once Tesla hires big boy lawyers
  • Our Mach-Es cost enough money that a janky third party adapter shouldn't come anywhere near em
Most Tesla Destination Chargers are found at public locations such as hotels, community centers, tourist offices, etc and the power is being supplied and paid by those locations, not by Tesla, so they don’t care what car is connected. The adapter is just a plug converter. I have used them many times with my Taycan and an adapter with no problem. They are essentially a level 2 charger, but with higher amps 80-100) so are usually faster than say a Chargepoint that might be next to them. I have even tried one in the parking lot behind a Tesla store (as an experiment). You can also use the adapter at a Tesla-owning friend’s house!

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Most Tesla Destination Chargers are found at public locations such as hotels, community centers, tourist offices, etc and the power is being supplied and paid by those locations, not by Tesla, so they don’t care what car is connected. The adapter is just a plug converter. I have used them many times with my Taycan and an adapter with no problem. They are essentially a level 2 charger, but with higher amps 80-100) so are usually faster than say a Chargepoint that might be next to them. I have even tried one in the parking lot behind a Tesla store (as an experiment). You can also use the adapter at a Tesla-owning friend’s house!
agree it's very useful considering all the tesla level 2 chargers out there. Some places don't have Fast chargers but level 2. Will allow you to take a trip to some places you couldn't before.

For me, it's a better investment for a tesla tap than buying a wall charger for the home when the ford charger you get with the mache will charge what you need each day anyways.
Sponsored