Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
Well...a week or two ago I stopped by Manhattan Beach Ford because they have a 2021 clone of my 2022 that is reportedly scheduled for arrival at the dealer on 3/11. A loaded GT PE, Cyber Orange.

I asked the salesperson if they had an "ADM". He said he did not know the term. Then we walked up to the car:

Ford Mustang Mach-E MME GTPE: $20k ADM 1642557239914

Just a wee bit of ADM.

Well...he got the manager and he said it is "negotiable" but not surprisingly...it is still on their lot.
WOW.
Sponsored

FamDocDon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red MME GTPE, 2016 Mercedes AMG GLA45
Country flag
The dealer I've ordered through had a MME that they had marked up for the stated reason of wanting to be able to keep one on the lot for test drives. They had bought it back from someone, so it was technically used, but still they had it priced around $15K over MSRP to prevent it from selling. Of course, someone signed papers for it just as we were arriving at the dealer, so no test drive for us!

JediGamerCT

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Flex
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Found a 21 build of my exact GTPE order only 80 miles away in the Bay Area of CA, they want 6k ADM, and already drilled the front license plates.

I still have no idea when mine is going to be built but I’m expecting to get X-plan on my order so as tempting as it is I can’t bring myself to even try to negotiate them down from 6K. Good luck to someone else!

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Folks are paying it. I visited a dealership thinking they'd sell a GT near or at MSRP but when I arrived they said $10K. They had said they sold the white Premium AWD Extended Range earlier in the day for $10K... but I suspect it was probably $5K.

Crazy how the lot was devoid of any cars. Two Ford dealerships I've been too were like that. I suspect these dealers are selling cars as soon as they arrive and are still profitable because of the markup added.

Photo Jan 18, 7 10 27 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 18, 7 10 35 PM.jpg

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Folks are paying it. I visited a dealership thinking they'd sell a GT near or at MSRP but when I arrived they said $10K. They had said they sold the white Premium AWD Extended Range earlier in the day for $10K... but I suspect it was probably $5K.

Crazy how the lot was devoid of any cars. Two Ford dealerships I've been too were like that. I suspect these dealers are selling cars as soon as they arrive and are still profitable because of the markup added.

Photo Jan 18, 7 10 27 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 18, 7 10 35 PM.jpg
1. they lie. No one is paying $10k ADM on a premium

2. Who pays asking price?

It’s all a negotiation. Always has been.

Ironically, people negotiate the hardest on the part of the “deal” that has the least wiggle room (new car price).

Everything else has more negotiation room (trade in, ad ons, financing etc).
Those are the things with the most profit margin and thus the most negotiable room.

I would have happily paid a $5k ADM……… if they gave me $5k more for a trade.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
ADMs are, IMHO, pure greed. I would never pay an ADM and our local dealer, Mullahey Ford in AG, doesn't pull that kind of stunt.
If charging a few thousand more for a car in high demand is greed, what do you call the people who are trading in their high demand used cars and want a few thousand more on their trade?

Answer: Greedy.

Everyone is greedy. But we only seem to think it’s a negative trait when it’s someone else’s greed and not our own.

I honestly don’t fault dealers for trying to get an ADM these days. I mean, look at their lots! Empty! Nothing to sell!

And they’re stuck paying ridiculous high prices for our used cars just so they have something to sell. The situation kinda sucks for everyone.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Ironically, people negotiate the hardest on the part of the “deal” that has the least wiggle room (new car price).

Everything else has more negotiation room (trade in, ad ons, financing etc).
Those are the things with the most profit margin and thus the most negotiable room.

I would have happily paid a $5k ADM……… if they gave me $5k more for a trade.
Again, I doubted the $10K because they were saying other local dealers were charging $20K ADM which is only true in one case (Bill Currie Ford was asking $20K on a GT from a Redditor I was messaging). $5K was more believable. The Premium didn’t even last a day… both cars arrived yesterday. This GT wasn’t even prepped yet either.

I didn’t even both with a trade in because I refuse to trade in my new RAV4 Prime. It’s a keeper. With that said… I submitted online quotes to Carvana, etc to see what I could get and was shocked. All quotes were higher than my OTD price (even with the garbage $2K forced dealer package and FL taxes). And I’d pocket the tax credit. The used car market is broken.

OP
OP
DrJay32

DrJay32

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.luminescentphoto.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
I think it's a California thing. Here in NYC there are at least 4 GTPEs going for MSRP on the lot. Don't get fleeced, just drive to Nevada or something and buy it at a normal price.

Man, that's a fine looking color... can't wait till mine rolls in!!!!
I've got one (Premium ER AWD) on order in Colorado!

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I've got one (Premium ER AWD) on order in Colorado!
I waited 7 months for my 2021 Premium ER AWD in Infinite Blue. You’ll be more then satisfied with your MME. It’s a great car.

While I think a GTPE is a beautiful car, I’m happy with what I have.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, why did you trade it in?
Just prepping for the Lightning I have on order and took advantage of a good offer form my local dealership for it. Loved the car and miss it but I do have my wife's non-GT Mach-E keeping me company until the Lightning shows up.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Then again, most of the country doesn't pay $6 for a gallon of gas, like they do in California. It's an expensive place to live...
Most of California doesn’t pay $6 for a gallon of gas unless they are in some out of the way remote place. I paid $4.06 the other day at Costco by where I work. Nearer to home it was $4.40.

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Acura TL, 2016 MB GLE350, 2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
I feel fortunate to grab a Red Premium SR.
Dealer had incoming car they sold at MSRP to me (actually less due to charger rebate in Nov).
I had to wait month and 1/2 due to Ford holding the car at rail yard (no fault of the dealer).
People have waited 6-9 months so getting mine under MSRP for 1 1/2 month wait is a miracle.
The dealer Irwin Ford, Laconia NH was great.

BonyPR

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 1st Ed
Occupation
Government
Country flag
I Was browsing dealers online for the GT-Performance and this one in New York (Dana Ford) is advertising at MSRP, I filled out the required information, 2 emails and 3 phone call later a salesperson stated that the price does not include a %5K markup on every Mach-E. I told them that I will not pay a cent over MSRP. Deal was off. In my opinion, In the internet era, the dealership business model, is archaic, still using bait and switch techniques. I get those dealerships want to gain more profits, but If you are going to advertise via internet, it’s not a great practice to bait potential customers with and advertised internet price, to later surprise you and add the markup. The dealerships are hurting the brand. Dealership gets incentive from the brand by selling their cars, they get paid premium by the brand on warranty service, they sell parts with huge markup, they are not losing anything selling at MSRP. That is why Tesla's business model is working for them, internet price you see, the price you get. Even if it goes up, if you reserved you lock in the price.

New Ford Cars, Trucks and SUVs Staten Island Ford | Dana Ford | New York (drivedanaford.com)

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag

This is a time that favors the dealers, though. Limited inventory, hot new vehicle... when I went to see a Mach-E in person the dealer told me that they had another guy in right before me who tried to negotiate a few hundred below MSRP (their markup, including dealer extras, was around $7,000). They basically laughed him away. They told me that they had something like two or three other people they were calling after me, unless I'd like to buy it now. I didn't, of course - was mostly evaluating to see if this was a car I'd want to place a reservation on and then wait 6-9 months for - but either way, the car was gone within two days (possibly next day, I didn't check that aggressively).

If anything, I'm surprised dealerships in my area aren't starting bidding wars on these cars. If you have a trade-in then you can probably negotiate things a bit more, but if you're just trying the old "take this price or I'll walk" routine, well - some parts of the country probably don't have people beating down the doors to buy these cars, but at least in my area, someone else will be in the dealer's chair before it's even cooled down from your time sitting there.

Most of California doesn’t pay $6 for a gallon of gas unless they are in some out of the way remote place. I paid $4.06 the other day at Costco by where I work. Nearer to home it was $4.40.
Even here in Hawaii (at least on Oahu) we're not that high, either - low to mid $4's these days. Pretty sure our electricity is more expensive than California's but hopefully that'll change as they try to switch away from fuel-run electric generators over to renewables.

In my opinion, In the internet era, the dealership business model, is archaic, still using bait and switch techniques. I get those dealerships want to gain more profits, but If you are going to advertise via internet, it’s not a great practice to bait potential customers with and advertised internet price, to later surprise you and add the markup.
I'm with you there. I dislike ADM but I agree with an earlier post from Mach1E, dealerships don't have a lot of inventory and they need to at least keep the lights on... and it's not illegal to try and turn a profit for as much as you can get. The vehicles are in high demand and still relatively rare, so let them sell for as much as the market will bear. But nobody likes to have their time wasted. I read some article about how Toyota's Scion brand tried a "what you see is what you get" approach with their pricing some years ago, and it was reportedly very poorly received - the consensus was that people said they hated it, but they wanted the whole negotiation dance in car buying. I'm not really sure how they reached that conclusion, I'd rather just know the price and if it's acceptable, run with it. Tesla seems to be earring accolades with that approach, so hopefully it'll become more standardized.
Sponsored