MME is too expensive to have problems

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Looks like operator error. You can turn off both the motion sensor and the notifications in Ford Pass, by the way. And I'll say again, if $50K is expensive to you, then this is simply not the vehicle you should be buying. I suggest pricing a 2013 Flex.
Oh you can turn off the sensors - if you do it every single time - you just can’t keep them off. The setting doesn’t stick. See, it’s the holding of the setting that matters.

Ford Mustang Mach-E MME is too expensive to have problems 1630246328489

As for FordPass notifications, my complaint isn’t that FP is telling me my alarm is going off - my complaint is that my friggin alarm is going off. I’ve owned my Mach E for 6 months. I know what it does, and doesn’t do. I know its bugs. So thanks, but no thanks, sport.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DYohn

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Oh you can turn off the sensors - if you do it every single time - you just can’t keep them off. The setting doesn’t stick. See, it’s the holding of the setting that matters.

1630246328489.gif

As for FordPass notifications, my complaint isn’t that FP is telling me my alarm is going off - my complaint is that my friggin alarm is going off. I’ve owned my Mach E for 6 months. I know what it does, and doesn’t do. I know its bugs. So thanks, but no thanks, sport.
Owner's manual page 88... but sure, I feel for you having to disable the motion sensors when you park the car. Man, hitting a dialog button on the screen really strains your finger, right?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Owner's manual page 88... but sure, I feel for you having to disable the motion sensors when you park the car. Man, hitting a dialog button on the screen really strains your finger, right?
Well I guess I shouldn’t expect not to have to tap my screen every time I exit the vehicle. After all, this isn’t Maserati money we’re talking about, here.

OP
OP
DYohn

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Well I guess I shouldn’t expect not to have to tap my screen every time I exit the vehicle. After all, this isn’t Maserati money we’re talking about, here.
So, I see you missed my initial point that the cost of the car does not matter?

And I see you own a "First Edition." By definition then, you are an early adopter so expecting to deal with a few software bugs should have been part of your purchase calculus. If it wasn't, well now you know.

OP
OP
DYohn

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
By the way the three most trouble-prone new cars I ever owned were a 1978 Renault Fuego Turbo, a 2001 Lincoln LS V8, and a 2012 Maserati Quatroporte. Those three had a wide range of price points, and had serious mechanical issues so they spent what felt like more time in the shop than on the road. The few software issues with the MME are nothing by comparison. Yes, I know a few owners have had serious issues causing their cars to be in the shop for extended times and I feel for them. But it's no more common than in other new model vehicles, and it has more to do with Ford learning how to become a software company than it does with the quality of the car. Hang in there.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Ok. Thanks for your opinion! Here’s mine….
1. $50k for a midsized crossover SUV is definitely expensive to the vast majority of Americans. Comparing to a Maserati doesn’t validate your point.
2. Some bugs are to be expected. But not all bugs are the same. Some are serious. Some are not. Some should be very easy to fix, others not so much. So you are drastically oversimplifying. For example, I’ve been waiting over 6mos just to be able to keep my interior motion sensors turned off. This isn’t a “serious” bug - it’s not gonna crash your car - but it also damned well shouldn’t take 6mos (and counting) to fix. It’s embarrassing. Ford should be embarrassed about that.

By the way, here is my message log TODAY, taking a road trip with kids for soccer. Fun times, let me tell you. This “@&^#+% motion sensor.

This is just one example. So please dial back the patronization just a tad.
I think #1 is a bit misleading. $50k for an EV vehicle this size is not expensive, at the stage of battery technology (mach e battery pack is 22-29k cost). So an EV is probably $10k or more higher than a comparable ICE vehicle. Eventually this will change but right now EV's are substantially more expensive than comparable ICE vehicles.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think #1 is a bit misleading. $50k for an EV vehicle this size is not expensive, at the stage of battery technology (mach e battery pack is 22-29k cost). So an EV is probably $10k or more higher than a comparable ICE vehicle. Eventually this will change but right now EV's are substantially more expensive than comparable ICE vehicles.
I agree with you. But that doesn’t change the fact that $50k+ is expensive for a vehicle, period. Yes, the EV tech is a big piece of that. But the fact the MME is reasonably priced for an EV of this size does not change the hit to the bank account. :)

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Mechanically I believe EVs have far less to go wrong than an ICE. Most problems come in the form of software bugs, which can be solved with software updates. I do wish Ford gives a fuller picture whether most bugs can be fixed OTA or some can only be done at the dealer, such as those TSB's on the NHTSA website.

OP
OP
DYohn

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I agree with you. But that doesn’t change the fact that $50k+ is expensive for a vehicle, period. Yes, the EV tech is a big piece of that. But the fact the MME is reasonably priced for an EV of this size does not change the hit to the bank account. :)
The part you are missing is you did not purchase just any vehicle, you purchased an ELECTRIC vehicle, and not only that an EV crossover SUV. This vehicle competes with the Tesla Model Y (or even the X in my opinion,) the Audio E-tron, the Jaguar IPace, the Polestar 2, the Volvo XC40, and a few new entrants like the VW and the soon to be released Nissan. It is priced very competitively with those, and in Premium trim it's a mid-luxury model and is much cheaper than those in similar trim. So compare apples to apples, not EV to car prices. If the bank account is not ready for the price of EVs, then that is a different topic.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm not sure where I land on whether or not the Mach-E is an expensive vehicle. But I think of it as more like a $40K vehicle due to $7,500 federal tax rebate, $2,000 California rebate and $1,500 Clean Fuel Reward. If I couldn't have taken advantage of those credits/rebates, I would have looked for a less expensive option.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
If it's unacceptable for expensive cars to have problems, then the converse must also be true.
I suppose that's why the Yugo was so wildly successful - it was a cheap car that was supposed have lots of problems! ? ?

OP
OP
DYohn

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
If it's unacceptable for expensive cars to have problems, then the converse must also be true.
I suppose that's why the Yugo was so wildly successful - it was a cheap car that was supposed have lots of problems! ? ?
One of my younger brothers had one of those. It was ugly in more ways than looks and last I heard about it, it was making rust in a field in NE Missouri surrounded by massive blackberry brambles.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
There is a little of this attitude on this forum, but a lot more of it in other social media. The statements usually go something like, "I read about a lot of Mach-E owners having problems. I would not be happy if I paid that much for a car and had problems,"

Besides the obvious answer of "all first-year model vehicles have problems and people with problems are generally louder than those without," I add:

1. The Mustang Mach-E is not an expensive vehicle, especially not in comparison to other EV prices nor in comparison to other mid-luxury crossover SUV pricing. Compare what you can get for your dollar and get back to me
2. If you think expensive vehicles do not have problems, do not purchase a Maserati Quatroporte
3. If it's too expensive or too scary, buy another vehicle no one is forcing you to consider the MME
With incentives (FTC and CA rebates), my Standard Range RWD Premium was under $40K, which is less than the average new vehicle price. It's not cheap, but it's not in the category of being an "expensive" car (GT versions notwithstanding).

The vast majority of issues/complaints I've seen on this forum are software-related, which can and should be fixed. The hardware has been less problematic, so long-term reliability should hopefully be OK.

A while ago, the more expensive car brands (Mercedes, BMW, etc.) had a downturn in reliability ratings. The quality of Honda, Toyota, and some others had gotten so good that the biggest differentiator between expensive and cheaper brands was the amount of new tech, such as connectivity and safety features, which were invariably less reliable. The same thing is happening here to some extent - the difference is that the software can be corrected.

TJ-Mach-e

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Merc S550, 2021 MME AWD ER
Country flag
Lol, Do you have to tap the button every time you exit the vehicle?
if so then your complaint is in fact 100% user error.
The reason why your setting doesn’t stick is because you left “ask upon exit” enabled. If you disable that then whatever you set will stick.
So when you tell it to turn the motion sensor off it will never ask you again and just leave it off.
That setting is is the same menu as the motion sensor, if my memory is correct, it’s right below the Motion sensor off setting.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Lol, Do you have to tap the button every time you exit the vehicle?
if so then your complaint is in fact 100% user error.
The reason why your setting doesn’t stick is because you left “ask upon exit” enabled. If you disable that then whatever you set will stick.
So when you tell it to turn the motion sensor off it will never ask you again and just leave it off.
That setting is is the same menu as the motion sensor, if my memory is correct, it’s right below the Motion sensor off setting.
FWIW, I have "ask upon exit" turned off and it only sticks for a couple of weeks and then it starts asking me again. Sort of like the Sirius XM (and other) settings not always saving.
Sponsored